NY Amp Show 2009

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Emperor-TK

Just got back from the 2009 NY amp show yesterday.  Some quick thoughts:

This was by far the most interesting amp there:
http://www.attitubeamps.com/products/g20/
Sounded different than anything else on the floor.  Very clear and punchy, no bog or wool at all.  NOT a vintage sounding amp. Definitely NOT another "I got the schematics from the Pitman book and started an amp company" amp.  They also roll their own transformers.  $1000 street price for the head, cabinet, and variable attenuator pedal.

Saw a company with a Dumble clone.  The guy brought it into a room that had a real Dumble to hear them side by side.  The guy manufacturing the Dumble clone had never heard a Dumble before and wanted to see how they compare  ::)  Both amps sounded pretty lame and ordinary IMHO, but the clone was actually slightly better.  Dumble, $30,000, REALLY?

A guy was selling a device called a Tone Bra, which was a foam disk in a plastic ring that mounted over a speaker, with the foam disk centered in front of the voice coil.  Does a nice job taking the ice pick out of a loud Marshall.  I bought two for $10 each.  I can't seem to find it on the web though.  Easy to DIY though.

I was shocked how awful the Metro Amps and Metropolis amps sounded.  I've played in bands with a lot of plexis and owned many early 70's Marshalls.  These amps are NOT plexis.  Sounds like a Marshall Lead 12 at 120 dB.

The new Vox semihollow guitar is very cool and lives up to the marketing spiel.  Light as a feather too.

I didn't win anything in the raffle.  :p

See that guy had winding the transformer...I did that for about six years. No fun at all.

Latest posts

Back