Passive EQ Capacitors?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
a few questions from my side:

@cj: what type of wima caps do you mean?? mks2, mks4, mkp, ...??

@dr-frankencopter: does it matter, if it is "metalized polypropylene" or just polypropylene...??

@ all: to get a special value, I can connect some caps in parallel, to get a bigger value... is that no good for (pultec)-filter-applications??

thanks,
mat

also very interested in the wima "quest for best"...
I also found some interesting "MMK" labeled caps in my stock and actually found them mentioned by the hifi geeks, what are these ones???
very interesting thread!

Martin

[quote author="Hulk"]I'm working on another Gyraf Pultec and I'm looking for info about the voltage of the caps in the EQ section (the 0.0033, 0.0068 ones......)

Is 50VDC caps sufficient for the EQ section????[/quote]

Booing :green:

[quote author="drpat"][quote author="matthias"]@cj: what type of wima caps do you mean?? mks2, mks4, mkp, ...??
[/quote]

I'm not CJ, but I would try the MKP's (polypro) first, then the FKP's (metallyzed polypro).
[/quote]
Opposite way around
MKP (metalised Poly pro)
FKP (film poly pro)

Doh! You are correct... Why can't these things come in different colors? Try the FKP's first... see how you like 'em...

[quote author="drpat"]Doh! You are correct... Why can't these things come in different colors? Try the FKP's first... see how you like 'em...[/quote]
They originally did... FKP was green (check this thread
http://www.groupdiy.com/index.php?topic=7239)

I bought some organizer cabinets at the surplus store for ten bucks a piece. When I got them home, I notib=ced they were jam packed with vintage Wimas. :razz:

I will check the alphabet soup on the label.

Sometimes mixing different brand caps can give you a little bit more character to your sound, that is, if there is more than one cap in the signal chain.

Note that there have been many types of Orange dROPS OVER THE YEARS. tHE NEW STOCK IS NOW MADE BY SBE, not sprague.

The new ones come in at least two flavors in the Antique cat, 715p and the 716P. People seem to prwefer the 716 swries.

cj

Having to decide between tropical fish (polyester) or WIMA-FKP/MKP/...,
I was wondering...
.... what types did the original Pultec-EQs actually use ?

Bye,

Peter

What everybody else used back then. Sprague.
Pronounced "Spraig", by the way. I was corrected by Rein Narma. :oops:
Sophmore error. Sprog is the capital of Checklosvodkia.

It'd be easier if they kept their slogan: "Don't be vague, ask for Sprague!"

If I remember right, the EQP-1R I worked on had the filter caps in a potted module as well. The output section did use Spragues for cathode bypass, but the signal caps from the 12AY7 to the 12AU7 were something else that I can't remember (paper in oil? not Black Beauties). I'll check the next time I open it up.

James

[quote author="CJ"]What everybody else used back then. Sprague.
Pronounced "Spraig", by the way. I was corrected by Rein Narma. :oops:
Sophmore error. Sprog is the capital of Checklosvodkia.[/quote]

Must be using ChuckD'a list.

Norvac is a walk in electronics parts shop in Portland/Beaverton Oregon.

Check your lead spacing and then compare it to whatever your buying Sieg. If I remember from his pictures he used allot of orange drops but had a hard time fitting them.

Look these over they will fit, don't know if they sound good.
I think I read somewhere that the voltage rating don't matter because it's line level signal. Only concerns are the 2.2 and 1 uF caps, to fit spacing there 63V DC

2.2 uf
495-1128-ND
1 uf
495-1114-ND
18n
P4647-ND
6.8n
P4795-ND
3.3n
P4791-ND

The 1uF, 495-1114-nd, is the wrong part number. I ordered it, and it was a .68uF metal poly cap. Still looking for that one.

EDIT - here's the correct part number - 495-1121-ND

Sig

Latest posts

Back