passive parallel compression

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
[quote author="jensenmann"]Thrust filter by API rev eng by steffen
Sidechain filter has been developped/discussed here by various people
LED meters by roger foote IIRC
what else....?[/quote]
I understand your point & agree with it (if things are indeed how they seemed; I see it has been addressed already in this thread).

But apart from that and to keep the facts straight, let's make two corrections to the above:

IIRIC, Steffen did the variable HPF for the GSSL,
to which the two Thrust-emulating modes were added later on,
by me.

And it was followed bij various PCB-designs compiling the various filters, but that's layout, not about circuit-design.

I didn't reverse engineer these two modes*, but I designed a few simple circuit-stages realizing the same transfer curves as in the '50*50'-manual. It may very well have ended up pretty similar (w.r.t. topology and/or values), but that's how things go, great/sick/disturbed minds think alike...

Again, no offence taken, but let's get the facts correct - and I'd hate to see Steffen go to jail for something I did :wink:

Thanks,

Peter

*: I've never touched anything-API ever yet - not that I'm not inclined so, but it just hasn't happened yet

[quote author="dagoose"]

The SSL is still for sale for 1100 euro's including VAT, so actually it is 891 euro's and then i still have to pay about 40% taxes = about 550 euro's while it costed me about the same, not bad for a commercial company :wink:
[/quote]

1100 ex 19%VAT = 924 euro :?
Total build cost = 650 euro = 546 ex 19% VAT.

Let's assume your only income is from the GSSL to keep it simple.
That's 924 minus your build costs of 546, makes 378 euro. Then there's the 40% tax which makes your earnings on the GSSL 226,80 euro. :wink:

This 40% tax is actually lower because of the so called "zelfstandigen aftrek"....

[quote author="radiance"][quote author="dagoose"]

The SSL is still for sale for 1100 euro's including VAT, so actually it is 891 euro's and then i still have to pay about 40% taxes = about 550 euro's while it costed me about the same, not bad for a commercial company :wink:
[/quote]

1100 ex 19%VAT = 924 euro :?
Total build cost = 650 euro = 546 ex 19% VAT.

Let's assume your only income is from the GSSL to keep it simple.
That's 924 minus your build costs of 546, makes 378 euro. Then there's the 40% tax which makes your earnings on the GSSL 226,80 euro. :wink:

This 40% tax is actually lower because of the so called "zelfstandigen aftrek"....[/quote]

damn.. your'e right.. but still about 10 euro's per hour max.

[quote author="dagoose"]damn.. your'e right.. but still about 10 euro's per hour max.[/quote]
If it's about incidental units then it's another case, but if it's about a service/shop/store...
Both a garbageman and Bill Gates are earning money, right ? The amount of it doesn't change the principle.

I get everybody's point here, trust me!
I'm not beeing selfish or ingnorant, i really listen to you all and i love this forum and i really learned a lot here! :thumb:

Maybe it's a good idea to make some kind of guidelines, like the forum guide lines about what is acceptable and what is not with selling units and making profit out of it.
I think a lot of people are thinking differently about these things right now.
To me, what i'm doing with this particular GSSL, is acceptable but for a lot it's not.
To me it's not just a 'stolen' concept of someone else's design, i'm the one who put a lot of time and effort in building it and invested in parts and to me it's quite fair to make some profit.
A lot of company's work this way actually and not just in audio. (not to mention behringer with their own designs)

It would be different if i really made it for commercial matters and sold it as if it was my own design without refering to the, in this case, Gyraf/steffen etc design.
I had the G in the ssl name and famous DIY project stated quite clearly on my site and now even clearer then it was, i also thought it was not clear enough.
I also lowered the price to €950 so now i really hardly make any profit. (if i even sell it that is)

OK, so what is acceptable and what not? No shooting or pointing just some good thoughts about it.
Maybe it's a better idea to make a new topic about it, i'll do that or maybe if someone else wants to do that it's okay with me.

{EDIT: "new topic" here: http://www.groupdiy.com/index.php?topic=28120 --PRR}

There are already guidelines in regard to this particular unit. This is straight from the Gyraf GSSL page:

..And oh, by the way - I hate to have to mention this, but it seems to be necessary: Please read (and understand) the disclaimer on our main DIY-page. Even though you may like to, you are not allowed to use the projects described in these pages for any kind of commercial purpose - including building units for others where that involves money and such.. All this is ment for free, educative, purposes - please don't distort that..

Latest posts

Back