Perf board primer please

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
[quote author="StephenGiles"]

uk03878 - It's veroboard, see Mark's tutorial above!
Stephen[/quote]
doohh!!

sorry... brain not in gear..
veroboard = stripboard not padboard/matrix

Mark - here is the link:
http://www.smallbearelec.com/Search.bok?start=17&total=21&searchpath=41679771101f356713dc9&category=ICs+Delays+and+Echo

seems like he's got some SAD 1024s again!
Stephen

I must be in the minority... I have never made a PCB. (I've stuffed PCBs made elsewhere, though. Matter of fact, stuffing PCBs was my job when I was about 19-20 years old). All of my "from scratch" builds have been handwired in some fashion or another, either point-to-point, or on perfboard, pad-per-hole board or stripboard. Someday I'll try my hand at laying out and fabricating a PCB, but that day just hasn't come yet. I'll probably end up doing it by hand using rub-on transfers because I just don't have the patience to learn PCB layout software.

I tried making a PCB once... didn't work, but mainly I ended up obsessed with the whole toxic waste issue. In that sense perf board is a bit more friendly, or those little Radio Shack boards with the IC power rails down the middle - those are great for little op-amp circuits.

I just saw somebody's project photos over in the micbuilders group, and had a revelation of sorts. Veroboard with some SMD resistors across the copper strips, and conventional components too. That could really make it easy to shrink things down.

Stephen,

Thanks for the link! That's a great parts resource. I need some spares for stuff I've got, and some projects I've got plans for but up to now had no parts supply.

Cheers!

Mark

Is there any disadvantage qualitywise when using padboards instead of PCBs? I just started reading a bit about making PCBs but if there's no real advantage in it i'd rather focus on the actual circuits...

if you are talking about analog circuits as discussed here, with a smart layout, no no disadvantage that you will hear. If you wanted to get nitpicky and get meters out and compare different grounding schemes between a PTP perf project and a PCB with a ground plane Id bet you can probably measure something, but certainly nothing you are going to hear through a big mix IMO.

dave

[quote author="Anonym"]Is there any disadvantage qualitywise when using padboards instead of PCBs?[/quote]
You may have a harder time soldering directly to the copper padboard than you would a tinned PCB pad. I'd say that's a disadvantage, especially if the components are exposed to more heat in the process.

I was surprised to find cheap perfboard at Radio Shack. I ordered some from Digikey but what I saw at Radio Shack afterward looked cheaper and just as good if you just want something to hold the components in place.

Back