Possible meter for 1176?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This has probably been asked before, so my apologies up front: I really like the Sifam AL20 & AL20SQ meters. I want to use one of those on my DIY 1176. Do I need to change anything (resistors or something like that) or can the AL20 & AL20SQ be used without any problems and alterations instead of the standard Sifam AL29 on the 1176? Thanks in advance!

I found a cool old VU in my buddys fathers lab who used to work for olsen. has a 3.6 K already attached wondering how to test it? Any ideas?

Thanks

bigswole said:
is it possible to use an led vu meter for the 1176?

I would like to ask the same.
I'm building an 1176 in a 1U rack case.
My goal is to use it in Live sound, where you work normally in dark places.

A led meter would be perfect for this situation.

Does anyone know if that's possible?

Yes, it is possible, however it will depend on the design or your LED VU meter. The meter on the 1176 either monitors the signal (in +4 or +8dBu selection) or a DC voltage that is trimmed relative to the voltage on the gate of the GR FET (ie the 'gain reduction' value). Obviously the input to your LED meter cannot be AC coupled for this to work.

gswan said:
Yes, it is possible, however it will depend on the design or your LED VU meter. The meter on the 1176 either monitors the signal (in +4 or +8dBu selection) or a DC voltage that is trimmed relative to the voltage on the gate of the GR FET (ie the 'gain reduction' value). Obviously the input to your LED meter cannot be AC coupled for this to work.

Do you know if there's any already made design that works in this application?

Hi,
I have a question ...
The Anders SM14 VU does he work on a Mnats RevJ 1176 Project ??

Here the doc : http://www.farnell.com/datasheets/45037.pdf

I know i must add a rectifier, but i have a doubt on the feed scale

Sorry for my english

Has anyone used AL19 meter on 1176, I bought it from canford.uk and their website says it's a Sifam? AL19. I have had big problems with it when trying to set the Q-Bias, no luck so far...
I don't have enough experience with VU meters so I think this whole meter/calibration thing is like a dead end street for me at the moment.
Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!
Regards, jyrki3101

SIXTYNINER said:
...s i f a m  apart ..
found some meter "replacement" for 1 1 7 6  ?

6t9r

http://hairballaudio.com/shop/product_info.php?cPath=25&products_id=40

Unless you need a replacement for an original unit, then this is slightly off in dimension.

Mike

jyrki3101 said:
Has anyone used AL19 meter on 1176, I bought it from canford.uk and their website says it's a Sifam? AL19. I have had big problems with it when trying to set the Q-Bias, no luck so far...
I don't have enough experience with VU meters so I think this whole meter/calibration thing is like a dead end street for me at the moment.
Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!
Regards, jyrki3101

I have a stereo/dual mono 1176 I used AL19 meters in. I didn't feel the calibration was hard at all, although quite time consuming. Are you sure your meter is "vu" or "audio level" type? 'Cos if it's milliampere type, you need to add a diode rectifier in front of it. Also, I've found the fets really need to be matched for easiest calibration.
There are various calibration docs around for 1176, check out all you can find... Some methods are easier, some a bit harder..

Btw, Tampere is a nice place, isn't it ;)

If you're using the on board meter to set your Q bias, it needs to be in +4 mode which is simply connected to the output XLR + and -.  If your not seeing needle movement when adjusting the Q bias, you have an issue with your circuit.

Checkout the MNATS videos at the bottom:

http://mnats.net/1176_revision_d.html

Mike

Hello
Looking for vu meter for "xx76" i'm making....
i checked hairballaudio ,
also i tried many many times to contact them

never had i reply !!!  :'(

it's possible they are no longer in "business" ?

peace
r2d2

Echo North said:
http://hairballaudio.com/shop/product_info.php?cPath=25&products_id=40

Unless you need a replacement for an original unit, then this is slightly off in dimension.

Mike

found this thread after the "main" ....

i post also here as "well" ,
(and as help for any other interested about)

have a chance to get some Sifam :"R22AF" vu meter
from a surplus store ,
(attached image about)

anybody know if it can be "compatible" for the "G1176"  ?
thanks in advance
S.

Attachments

• SIFAM-R22AF-VU-S3K200.jpg
    SIFAM-R22AF-VU-S3K200.jpg
    125.3 KB · Views: 15

Latest posts

Back