Radio Caroline 60th Anniversary

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Even when Caroline was in English, I've always believed this was a Dutch station. Maybe they were registered somehow in the UK?

Nerd alert! When Radio Caroline became operational, I was already a DX listener on medium and short wave. Alas, Caroline was on 1520 kHz.....same as Top-40, 50 kW KOMA radio in Okla. City <g>.

Ian....now you're making me go down a rabbit hole. Weren't there one or more pirates operating from some sort of WW2 era offshore structures?

/Edit In addition to a DXer, I was also a fan of anything British...an Anglophile at a young age. USA imported UK TV shows which I loved. "Danger Man" was "Secret Agent" here in the colonies, and this episode was about a pirate radio station located on an de-commissioned offshore WW2 facility.

Other UK shows I recall and loved ....The Avengers, The Prisoner, and....."Now for something completely different, the Larch..." <g>

Bri

Last edited:
HI Bri, yes you are right there were several. Radio London (my personal favourite) operated from a ship on the North Sea just like Caroline. Radio Essex operated from some WW2 fort a few miles off the coast (they are still there). By 1967 there were 10 pirate radio stations. They were all us tenagers listend too in those days.

Cheers

Ian

Mi Amigo broadcasted under the Caroline name for a little while from the Netherlands, didn't it?

I think so. They lasted a long time and changed names and ships a lot. It's just that I remembered a studio in Amsterdam or Hilversum. Can't remember it's name. There's a lot of studio's in the Netherlands...

Later on, "pirate" radio's in The Netherlands and Belgium became legal. Limited to 100W FM stereo, so regional broadcasting. And evolved over the years into national commercial channels. There's still a few regional ones around over here.

My involvement was limited to radio Atlantis and Radio z' alternatives in Brussels.

https://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Radio_z’Alternatives_Bruxelles

Atlantis turned from a sea pirate into a big, well financed national channel, which obviously wasn't permitted. That lasted 'till 1980 or so.

I confused Caroline With Veronica...

Interesting documentary from the Dutch TV about pirate radio (Veronica and Mi Amigo):

Unfortunately mostly in Dutch.

Latest posts

Back