Reddish 500 EQ

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This looks like an excellent project, looks really good JMan! Congratulations!

I will have the build docs, including a BOM, available in the near future. I want to give a once-over to everything one last time before I post them. Right now I'm fully focused on getting orders arranged, as well as some logistical items on the back end. (As you'll hear shortly, one of these logistical items will reduce shipping costs for international buyers significantly).

Hopefully we don't run into too many component shortages. The project uses readily available components for the most part, and I've tried to create flexible options in the design wherever possible (for example, all signal path capacitors have pads for 5mm or 10mm lead spacing, significantly opening up your options; and the gain switches are designed so that if the two-deck switches are out of stock - as they were when I first conceived of doing this - it is possible to use a three-deck instead without any modification).

Thank you all for your prompt replies to my messages over the last couple of days, and for your patience as this all comes together! It's the first project like this that I've offered to the community here, and it is humbling -- both in the level of enthusiasm it has garnered, as well as in the magnitude of the behind-the-scenes work. I am doing my very best to ensure that every aspect of this project is as good as it can possibly be by the time it arrives in your hands.

Hello everyone,

I have some updates to share with you!

Today (April 10) is the last day to get in an order for pcbs. I will take orders until midnight EDT (GMT-4), at which point I will finalize my list. If you would like to order pcbs and have not yet done so, please visit the Black Market Thread.

I have heard back from almost everyone confirming shipping information. I will be reaching out again re: payment shortly.

Big news for buyers outside the USA: @Kevin from Link Audio Design has kindly offered to handle distribution for all non-US builders, and thanks to his existing distribution infrastructure, he estimates that shipping to those folks should now cost €6-10 (a huge reduction compared to what it cost me to ship internationally). This will add a small additional amount of lead time to your orders, but hopefully the cost savings is worth it. Of course, if you still want to pay more and have me ship it directly from the US, that is possible, I guess. You'll receive more details from me when I message you regarding payment.

Metalwork option update: Kevin has also very kindly offered to do a run of metalwork, including the front panel and the L bracket. If you've seen a Link Audio front panel in real life, you know they are very nice looking. As I understand it, these will be painted and screen printed. Depending on how many people choose to go this route, this may offer us our most cost-effective option for quality metalwork for the project.
We are still working out a few details -- doing this will necessitate changing one piece of hardware that was originally meant to be purchased from Frank's web shop to a stock part that can be ordered from Mouser/Digikey/Farnell/etc, which also requires a small change to some hole spacing on the PCB. I will also be in contact with Frank make the appropriate adjustments to the file he is working from for those who order from him. (In the event that you have, in your excitement, already placed an order with Frank, PLEASE make sure to inform me via PM - we will need to make sure that you get one of the remaining prototype PCBs instead. This will not impact the functionality or quality of your build, but you will have to solder one added wire. Hopefully I can get updated files to Frank within the next few days, so if you plan to order from him, I suggest waiting until I can do so).

Thanks again to all of you! Your enthusiasm for this project has really lifted me up, and it means a lot.

Copying from the Black Market thread for anyone who isn't following over there:

Thanks everyone for your interest! Orders for PCBs are now closed.

Everyone who has contacted me or posted in the thread about ordering should have received communication from me at this point. I have already heard back from almost all of you, but please check your PMs if we have not already begun our conversation.

I will follow up with you all over the next several days to arrange payment, talk shipping options, and finalize any other details we may need. Then boards will go into production, and we will be on to the next phase of the project!

A quick update:

I am making one small change to a piece of the mounting hardware at the suggestion of Kevin. The details are a bit boring, but suffice to say it should hopefully eliminate one potential hassle when ordering everything for your builds.

I would like to make sure that is finalized before any money is exchanged (mainly so that you can feel secure that you are paying for a project that is not still undergoing revision, and so that I can feel confident that I'm giving you the best version of this), so it may take an extra day or two here to make sure it's all properly sorted. As soon as that's done, I'll start messaging everyone about next steps.

Thanks again for your patience!

See my post #66 above. I really truly promise you that I am not dragging my feet on this, there is just so much more that goes on behind the scenes of doing this than you (or certainly I) might expect. I'm working hard to bring everything to you in a form that makes building it smooth and easy instead of a confusing headache, and I am as excited as anyone to get to the finish line, but to that end, patience will be a virtue for us over the next few days.

For US builders, I have been organizing a Group Buy on the Black Market Forum in order to purchase the transformers and inductors from UTM and the Front Panels (powder coated / silk-screened) & metal work from Link Audio so we can all benefit from quantity pricing and vastly reduced shipping costs.
Everything else for this project is easily available in the US.
This will be getting wrapped up early next week, so in case anyone was not aware of this and might be interested please check it out.

Adding to nielsk's post here, I should clarify in case there is any confusion -- for US builders, the best way to get the metalwork that Kevin is offering is through nielsk's Group Buy (see here). I am working with Kevin to ensure that everything is idealized, but I am not offering the metalwork myself.

Builders outside the US, you can also contact Kevin directly if you would like to be included in his run of metalwork. This will only help the numbers and maximize the quantity discount that he is able to get for production.

I'm happy to report that the final touches have been made to both the PCB on my end and the metalwork files on Kevin's. I will also be providing updated metalwork files to Frank for those who are planning to order from his shop.

I am going to take the remainder of this weekend as a small respite (this has been a crazy week), and I will begin contacting you all about next steps on Monday.

The knobs in that first link will be too large, I think, but the second link appears to be good.

However, with that said, here are the correct knobs on Tayda. Does the cost difference offset the shipping? That's for you to decide.

Antique Electronic Supply is another reliable US source. Don Audio has them in the EU, albeit for an outrageous price.

And then, of course, everyone is also free to use a different style knob if they want a bit of a different look.

Another minor update -- this evening I'm working on a final slight adjustment to the pcb (the last one, I'm willing it into the universe). We noticed that with how the connections were made on the output, the hard bypass was still being loaded by the secondary of the output transformer, which caused a small overall level drop. Although you could still set everything up for unity gain whether the EQ was in or bypassed, you'd still experience a slightly decreased overall level relative to the output of whatever the previous piece of equipment in the chain was. It's a pretty simple fix, so making that change tonight.

Now that the last revisions are made, I'm giving this whole thing the final (final!) once over. I've got everything basically ready to go, so look for a PM from me in the next day or two about our next steps! I'll begin sending those messages out tomorrow as I have spare chunks of time. Once again, thank you all for your patience!

Attachments

• PXL_20240419_000419152.jpg
    PXL_20240419_000419152.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 0

Latest posts

Back