SE Electronics Z3300a

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Great ! Yes we have plenty of choice for signal generator...

I come back to the subject of the SC1100: the source decoupling capacitor, 22uF, it passes the negative half-waves of the signal there, right? as for the decoupling capa. of a tube's cathode... right ?
so the quality of this capacitor is important (in my tube assemblies, when I need to decouple, I only do it with Elna Silmic II) > in my last Quad Tube pre the cathodes (1frst & 2nd stages) are not decoupled by choice...

But so, what happens if you don't decouple the source resistor ? you loose gain but you get "less distorsion" and more linear signal ?

Last edited:
gain and low frequency response are lost
so it's not the same as tubes...

In my Quad :
12AY7 K.by x 12AU7 K.by > +47dB
12AY7 K.unby x 12AU7 K.by > +44dB
12AY7 K.by x 12AU7 K.unby > +42dB
12AY7 K.unby x 12AU7 K.unby > +39db
That's my choice (last K unby) because I've got plenty of gain when associated with the EA2622 CAPI (1:7 / +17dB)
So 39 + 17 = +56dB > with static mics its alright (I don't often use ribbon or dynamic > or if so it is with MicBooster from KT > +20dB)

Last edited:
Among transistors, jFETs have the closest behavior to tubes (configured as) triodes
25-30 years ago I built with jFETs (J201,2N5457) the famous Marshall, Bogner, Mesa-Boogie, Rivera etc. pre-amplifiers and obtained the tube sound in pedal effects.
The most famous guitar pre of amp of all time is reproduced here with jFETs
Marshall JCM800.

Attachments

• tc-tone_1711481251267.jpg
    tc-tone_1711481251267.jpg
    77.3 KB · Views: 1
Adjust the VR until the limitation disappears and the sine wave is again symmetrical and perfect. Increase the volume of the injected signal again and repeat the procedure. Make sure that the + and - branches of the sinusoid are symmetrical, limit at the same level.
I have this Waves InPhase plug-in installed in my Logic Pro

But I think the Melda is more accurate @ appropriate...
https://www.thomann.de/fr/meldaproduction_mmultianalyzer.htm

Attachments

• InPhase-plugin.jpg
    InPhase-plugin.jpg
    471.9 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Hi !
I tried to replace the original transformer but it does not work and it must short circuit because I lose my supply voltages coming from 48v...
So I replaced the Monacor wired according to diagram "A" and here instead of -6dB compared to the original microphone I have +4dB (i.e. a gap of 10dB!)
I'm also thinking of changing the Tr of the other microphone for a good balance between the two
Now I'm going to bias the 2 Jfets according to the method recommended by @micolas with REW's scope and tone generator
To be continued...

First biasing of the modified mic :
- 56pF load / sine wave 1kHz thru 10nF
The signal is equal postive & negative alternances with a R of 7,5kΩ (+1,8KΩ R source)
The signal is saturated at 92mV (measured with DMM at smartphone output) and is clean to 75mV

Attachments

• Mic-mod-1.jpg
    Mic-mod-1.jpg
    307.5 KB · Views: 1
  • Mic-mod-2.jpg
    Mic-mod-2.jpg
    303.6 KB · Views: 1
With the proper bias the level has leveled down and fits now the original mic
on the picts, one can see that without any R after the R source 1,8KΩ the signal has more neg. than pos. / with the R 6,8KΩ the signal seems equal (but with less gain)

So now, this modifyed mic's electronic is done : will install the Arienne k47-flat (but first I got to work on the original one > change the transformer & bias the Fet)

Of course I will record with the pair (in omni & cardio) before changing the capsules...

Attachments

• signal -no-bias.jpg
    signal -no-bias.jpg
    53.6 KB · Views: 0
  • signal-bias.jpg
    signal-bias.jpg
    43.9 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
With the proper bias the level has leveled down and fits now the original mic
on the picts, one can see that without any R after the R source 1,8KΩ the signal has more neg. than pos. / with the R 6,8KΩ the signal seems equal (but with less gain)

So now, this modifyed mic's electronic is done : will install the Arienne k47-flat (but first I got to work on the original one > change the transformer & bias the Fet)

Of course I will record with the pair (in omni & cardio) before changing the capsules...
Did you make simultaneous recordings with the stock microphone and the modified one, before changing the capsules, transformer, etc.?

Hi !
I tried to replace the original transformer but it does not work and it must short circuit because I lose my supply voltages coming from 48v...
So I replaced the Monacor wired according to diagram "A" and here instead of -6dB compared to the original microphone I have +4dB (i.e. a gap of 10dB!)
As I told you, going from a transformer ratio of 2:1 to 1.5:1 will increase the output level.

It's on my to-do list : record as it is now (one modified - one not) then the 2 modified (Tr & bias) before changing the capsules.
What do you think of my Fet biasing ? Does it seem ok for you ?
As I said I rejoigned the original gain level but the signal wave is clean with the add of 6,8KΩ

measure the voltages in the important points, including the transistors, after BIAS ing, to be able to compare them with the original
After each change or adjustment, you have to make new measurements, tests, records, comparisons, etc.,to make observations and analyze
Only then will you know the real effect of each change.
All this is very helpful for you and for everyone who follows the subject.

Latest posts

Back