Soliloqueen's k87(k67) and k47 capsules

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
:D

Do you already know the price?
Yes. They'll be binned in 3 bins like Neumann capsules, since side to side matching K47s built like this is kind of hard. $149 for u47fet, 199 for k47 and 249 for k49. The process for these is a bit more involved than the other capsules. The flat K47 is very budget-minded with a lot of part reuse, but the real K47 capsule is a genuine attempt at making a premium capsule, so it's a bit more expensive. They might also be split into bright and dark variants in QC until we can get our backplate tolerances tighter. The tolerances are already much tighter than vintage Neumann capsules, but looser than I'd like. I'm guessing most people will be buying K47s or U47fet capsules.

Yes. They'll be binned in 3 bins like Neumann capsules, since side to side matching K47s built like this is kind of hard. $149 for u47fet, 199 for k47 and 249 for k49. The process for these is a bit more involved than the other capsules. The flat K47 is very budget-minded with a lot of part reuse, but the real K47 capsule is a genuine attempt at making a premium capsule, so it's a bit more expensive. They might also be split into bright and dark variants in QC until we can get our backplate tolerances tighter. The tolerances are already much tighter than vintage Neumann capsules, but looser than I'd like. I'm guessing most people will be buying K47s or U47fet capsules.
Thanks

So the K49 will have the best side to side matching of all 3?

Does the frequency curve differ from one variant to the other?

Thanks

So the K49 will have the best side to side matching of all 3?

Does the frequency curve differ from one variant to the other?
no difference in FR between the variants, it's just binning based on side matching.
Selection parameters:
U47fet has a difference >=1dB at 1k or a difference >1.5dB anywhere else
K47 has an FR difference >=1dB <=1.5dB somewhere but no overall sensitivity difference
K49 has no difference in either FR or sensitivity.
So
K49:
graph(7).png
K47:
graph(9).png
47fet:
graph(8).png
There is also some variance at 5k between units, due to the backplate. This variance is considerably smaller than older Neumann K47s, but the units still require stereo matching. I also tweaked the capsule tolerances to bias the 5k bump further towards flat, so that none of them get more than 1dB hotter than the reference Neumann there. So the 5k bump on these is between 1 and 3dB, compared to between 1 and 5 on vintage units. That way you know you're never getting one that's super honky like a really bad vintage k47 or one of those honky wgt capsules.
Here are the outer limits at 5K:
graph(10).png

Keep in mind that these are outer limits. The real distribution of responses is on a bell curve with the center appx 0.7dB below the neumann sample.

Last edited:
Love love love this

Look forward to buying a 47FET cap as soon as they’re available

Really smart how you’ve sorted them by target application, IMO

Will the FET and U47 capsules have a preferred side marked or indicated? (e.g. which is closer to the reference capsule, or otherwise recommended as “front”)

Love love love this

Look forward to buying a 47FET cap as soon as they’re available

Really smart how you’ve sorted them by target application, IMO
Our current system actually bins these automatically, just implemented this properly (had to make some changes to the open-source original). If it's not good enough for figure 8, it throws a quiet exception in the viewing panel:
1714502783385.png
Then sorting K47 vs U47Fet is as simple as looking at the difference at 1K provided the exception is thrown. Quick 2-step selection.

Every OEM client will get their own portal and pool of capsules, too, where they can load and compare units to each other and the reference, easily find stereo matches among their current inventory (soon, automatically, using a relational search based on the same system as the auto binning) etc

With this batch I'm going back to shipping everything myself. I think most people would prefer a steady stream of shipments than this long wait/all at once nonsense. New carrier list:
1714516624299.png
I kind of shot myself in the foot trying to do external fulfillment when I'd already registered my business in Europe. Now, I can do IOSS shipment to the EU again. Though, this only really counts for orders of 1 Flat K47, due to the value limit. DDP shipping to the UK and Australia are new.

Fedex won't contract with me, too few recent shipments. It's available but ridiculously expensive. You can also order bill to recipient fedex.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back