Spectratone Pre (Pics)

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

matta

I thought I'd share my latest project and birthday present to myself, a 4 channel mic pre called the Spectratone.

Channels 1+2 are based on the JFET design offered up in Tape Op by Scott Hampton, and laid out on a PCB by our Brazilian friend Fabio, which he dubbed the FETboy. It is an incredibly musical pre and very colourful as many of you know.

Channels 3+4 are Spectra Sonics 101?s, whose consoles were found in many of the great recording halls including Muscle Shoals, Stax, RCA & Ardent to name a few.

My particular cards were removed from the main studio console at Paramount in LA (between ?69/?79) and used by greats like Zappa and Dylan (Thanks to Doty!). Hopefully some of it rubs off. They sound nice a smooth, and harmonically rich with a big bottom end.

Still troubleshooting a ground issue with them since they don?t have a continuous ground plane and they probably also need a recap at some point, but so far, me likey!

Here a few shots:

Close up of a channel

panel_close.jpg

The front and guts

front.jpg

The back and guts

back.jpg

I need to thank a few people for their aid in this project, here goes, in no particular order.

Frank, for giving my Front Panel Design the once, and thrice over to check for potential errors along with offering advise and a starting point with his Bratwurst Green.

Fabio, for his great design work and explaining the basics of audio transformers (read: How to wire an OEP), amidst other things.

Neeno, for the constant support, friendship and XLR drilling advise.

Joe, for his hip ?Go Between Kits? and SS wiring guide.

Paul, for the funky knobs and Spectra Sonics edge connectors.

Ray, for his advice and experiences shared with wiring his own 101?s.

There are many others, and I?m sorry if I left you out. Without your support as community and forum this wouldn?t be done, at least not by me.

Sunday marked my 1 year anniversary in DIY and year since my wife gave me an iron, since then I?ve gone from knowing nothing to building a couple Greens, a Calrec and GSSL.

You ALL rock!

Cheers

Matt

I bookmarked this thread as "1st Matt's Masterpiece" :green:
Congratulations my fiend... you rock ! :guinness:

Kruz!!!

You let the cat out of the bag.... yes there are more to follow.... next a 4 channel green followed by the G1176.

Steve (http://www.cncpanels.co.uk/) did the engraving and drilling for me. He does great work and I'm really happy with them. There were a few minor changed that needed to be made to my designs as he can't change tools like an automated machine can like Schaffer, but he was ALOT cheaper than Schaeffer and Front Panel Express.

Neeno, thanks my friend! I'm not sure it is masterpiece, but I'm getting better.

Cheers

Matt

I'm proud of you Matt!!!! :thumb:

So you ended you wiring the OEP 1:1 or 1:2 ? Sound differences??

:guinness:
Fabio

[quote author="matta"]
Steve (http://www.cncpanels.co.uk/) did the engraving and drilling for me. He does great work and I'm really happy with them. There were a few minor changed that needed to be made to my designs as he can't change tools like an automated machine can like Schaffer, but he was ALOT cheaper than Schaeffer and Front Panel Express. [/quote]

First of all, nice box ! :thumb:

Hadn't heard of www.cncpanels.co.uk before, thanks for bringing this up !
Did I understand it correctly that you design it the Sch%&ff*r-tool & submit in their format but then simply to Steve instead ? :shock:

Bye,

Peter

[quote author="clintrubber"]Did I understand it correctly that you design it the Sch%&ff*r-tool & submit in their format but then simply to Steve instead ? :shock:

Bye,

Peter[/quote]Yup, in fact .fpd files are his preferred format. I'm looking at ordering some panels from this guy so it's good to see some positive feedback on his work.

Cheers

Nick

Clint,

That is exactly what you do. Just design it in FPD and send the file to
Steve. He has the CAD (DXF) export tool/filter from Schaeffer and this
allows him to just export the FDP file in the format he needs for engraving.

I must share that while Steve takes utmost care with the engraving there are
a tiny, and I mean tiny imperfection on the 1176, though in fairness he
warned me it would be hard to do as you need to pick one size and work with
it. Also a couple of the gain holes were maybe 1-2mm off centre, easily
fixed, but his overall the work is amazing and I can recommend him.

He is a one man shop and I doubt he make much money off offering this
service to DIY?ers. I actually have a Neve Pre design I?m working on that
I?ll send to him when I?m ready.

To give you an idea on costs I think I did all 3 panels, including the cost
of the panels (the 1U?s were bought from Holt and anodized all the way
round, no silver edges like Schaeffer), engraving and drilling, plus
shipping in the UK for around £85, half the price of Schaeffer.

Matt

[quote author="Godders"][quote author="clintrubber"]Did I understand it correctly that you design it the Sch%&ff*r-tool & submit in their format but then simply to Steve instead ? :shock:

Bye,

Peter[/quote]Yup, in fact .fpd files are his preferred format. I'm looking at ordering some panels from this guy so it's good to see some positive feedback on his work.

Cheers

Nick[/quote]

Looks interesting !
Dunno about that fpd-format, is it Schffrs property ? I mean, I get the feeling this situation can't last long because of an unamused company in Berlin. What's the situation ?

Steve had to BUY the export filter from Schaeffer. He owns the right to use
it. They don?t give it away for free :) You can buy a variety of add on?s
from them to expand the use of the ?FREE? programme for your use.

And since Steve?s CNC uses CAD files he just bought that feature from
Schaeffer.

I don?t think it is problem.

Matt

[quote author="matta"]Steve had to BUY the export filter from Schaeffer. He owns the right to use
it. They don?t give it away for free :) You can buy a variety of add on?s
from them to expand the use of the ?FREE? programme for your use.

And since Steve?s CNC uses CAD files he just bought that feature from
Schaeffer.

I don?t think it is problem.

Matt[/quote]

But that's good news, thanks. :thumb:
So he's in fact kind of licensed. No worries then about that this could only be a temporary situation.

All fine,

Peter

Matt,

I'm very impressed! That looks brilliant. And to think that you've not even been doing DIY for that long...

I think I need to get my skates on with my numerous projects I've got going.

By the way, is there a Meta for designing front panels?

Roddy

Nice job Matt! I am doing something similar except I am putting 2 API 312's and 2 Spectrasonics in a case....Boy they look great! Keep pecking away at the ground issue....I ended up grounding every conceivable negative point to the star ground thru a seperate wire...

:thumb:

Ray

Hey Guys,

Firstly thank you all for your kind words and encouragement, much appreciated!

I?ll try and answer all the questions below, one at a time....

So you ended you wiring the OEP 1:1 or 1:2 ? Sound differences??

I wired it 1:2 in the end and didn?t bother with 1:1, I like it as is with 1:2

Yeah Matt! That looks soooo good. Fetboy close-ups

Here you go:

FETboy3.jpg

What iron is used where?

OEP all the way, it is a relatively inexpensive Iron in my part of the world that I like the sound of.
The FETboys use the A262A3E Iron and the Spectra Sonics are A262A2E Irons.

What kind of xlr jacks are those? They look awesome.

Amphenol. I prefer them to Neutrik, which is a good thing since they are
half the price here in SA compared to the Neutrik. I really like the in-line connectors as well
they don?t have the rubber boot like the Neutrik that under rugged used tends to break.

Thanks again guys.

And Frank, my birthday was on Sunday, so in a way it was the pre?s and my birthday :)

Cheers

Matt

Back