SSL 9K Mic Pre Thread 2009

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hello Everyone,
Im starting to build 8x SSL 9k preamps and ive already got most difficult parts like the A.M. Pots, Mat02EH, PCBs, All capacitors and Resistors.

But i have a doubt about PSU C6-C11 capacitors, it says in the .pdf that they are supposed to be 100uF but i was told that it needs to be 100nF.
Is this information right?
Also, what diode should be D1 in PSU Board? it is no specified in the Parts List.

I believe this is all the help i need for now..
Thank you guys!
Cheers!

The schematic is correct, the BOM has errors. C6-C11 = 100nF, D1 = 1N4003 (1N4007).

Are you going to feed all 8 preamps with one PSU?
Youll need heat sinks and probably larger values on C3/4.

No, im planning to have 2 PSUs one for each 4 channels... Im thinking of having one Toriod 18v-0-18v 50VA for both PSU PCBs...
What do you think of this?

Thank you!

Once im building an 8ch in 2U i want to move toroidal to an small box outside and maybe the 2 psu pcbs with it or these wil remain in the 2U case, dont know yet. My problem is that my 220v switch will be in this external case, so in order for me to see if the preamps rack is operating i thought i could add 3 LEDs for the +18v and -18V +48 voltages and this way i could monitor the 8 preamps power status.
Can anyone help in how to step dow the 18v and 48v to 5v leds?
Any help is highly appreciated.

Here is also how things going with my preamps. im still waiting for a coulple stuff to arrive...
Bye!
ajujad.jpg

I didnt want it to mention this...but i just ordered the new prototype for the SSL9K5.
Id doesnt stop you from doing it anyways...

pedrocruz said:
No, im planning to have 2 PSUs one for each 4 channels... Im thinking of having one Toriod 18v-0-18v 50VA for both PSU PCBs...
What do you think of this?

Thank you!

pedro, I highly recommend using a (LM317 based) JLM-audio powersupply instead of the (7815/8) one included with the SSL9k. those fixed voltage regulators are nothing but trouble - occasionally the negative voltage fails to come up to the specified value. since I swapped the PSU board my quad ssl9k has been working flawlessly. If you wanna go super-pro, you might even want to splash out on the 51x PSU board, which also provides 2 bipolar voltages and 48 V phantom. the latter is definitely big enough to power 8 channels, as it is using LM350 regulators (make sure you have adequate heatsinks).

Curvy traces ........
what a job , metering and everything
is there an unbal out option ?
what is the bottom control , adjustable hi pass ?

looks slick & sick , nice work

Thanks so much!
Two gang pot is the gain, three gang is SSL style HPF.  Pots came from Colin.  No unbal out, but the THAT chip (1646) goes both ways.  Meter has 39 dB scale (14 LEDs, 3 dB per LED), and works in bar or dot mode.
On the drawing board is a 4K transformer version with the same front panel layout.
Best,
Bruno2000

dmp said:
Why 51x? Are you using 24v???

No, I'm not using the +/- 24 VDC rails.  I just wanted the card edge to fit well in the 51X rack connector.  If you have a 500 rack, just cut the tab off.
Best,
Bruno2000

probably should so it's obvious

the forum needs an automatic filter that will not allow
people to release projects until people recover from
the previous grp buy or project [ i'm going to hit my bottom soon !
but i'm in for a couple of boards anyway ]

Back