Studio monitor opinions?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
[quote author="cannikin"][quote author="hejsan"]hey cannikin, what model dynaudios do you have?

But why do tweeters in active monitors always hiss so much?[/quote]

I have the Bm6a

Strange about the noise issue, I don't have that[/quote]
Another BM6A user here. Love 'em.

No noise issue here either. I can only hear a faint hiss if I put my ear right up against the tweeter.

I've had genelecs ADAM's and Dynaudio's side by side on numerous occasions and the dynaudios are hands down the best IMHO..I'd buy a pair right now but I'm short on bling at the moment :sad: But, monitors are a subjective thing, because the room has so much impact on the final result. Plus just because a monitor sounds great doesn't make it a useful tool. Nice monitors are great, but the make or break for me is this..does it sound good on earbuds. Cuz that's where it's gonna end up! Kids these days...

[quote author="AJMAC"] Nice monitors are great, but the make or break for me is this..does it sound good on earbuds. Cuz that's where it's gonna end up! Kids these days...[/quote]

Yes, we will all mix to a pair of Logitec computer speakers and cheap earbuds soon !!!

..... But first, make the track into a shitty 160 Kbps mp3 ... :shock: :shock:

Thanks for all the comments and opinions.

We can't afford something like the Adam S3As or H&Hs, sadly. Really I wanted something quite small so will probably check out the smaller Dyanaudios, Adams etc.

Justin - do you know who sells the Quested 108s? Couldn't find them on sale with a quick web search, although their smaller active monitors are widely available & might be a possibility.

The problem up here is that there isn't really anywhere to go and demo a load of good quality systems. I might need a trip to London!

Cheers!

Zebra, what about the LS3-5A's at around £800 a pair ?
Can't seem to find a place to listen to those though ... BBC !!

Are there some small PMC nearfields around that won't break the bank.
Those Quested H-108's are on Ebay right now for £1620.00

MM.

£1,620 for 108s? Something's not right - I recall the passives selling for around £800.

LS3/5A are fantastic, but have very limited bass response - not practical for everyone.

People often say that even the massive ATC sound bass shy. I put this down to Billy Woodman's clever driver design which minimises 3rd harmonic honk - it can make them seem bass light. Having said that, the 20s aren't going to have the world's most powerful bass. The T-16 was developed more for rock-n-roll purposes, although people say its accuracy doesn't equal the 20 (I haven't used 16s).

http://www.quested.com/h108.html

You'll have to drop Quested an email - I'm screwed if I can find a dealer carrying the 108. Bear in mind that the 108 uses a wonderful mid/bass driver designed by David Volt. S/hand is no worries - Volt is only a phone call away and takes pride in servicing their goods.

Justin

mmm... still thinking about this and doing some research whilst waiting for the rain to stop....

Funkyjunk have some ex demo PMC TB2SA at a grand plus vat.

Has anyone heard the APS Aeons yet?

PMC use Volt drivers as well, I believe. That means s/hand is no worries.

Stewart - you have a PM.

J

Stewart, It's a good idea getting the research in, but I'd suggest demo-ing as many of these speakers as you can as I think it's a bit like buying a musical instrument.

Regarding the low-end of the ATCs, I'd hazard a guess that this is due to the cleanliness of the bass which can make it sound quieter. I found the same with using the Quested VS2108. They sounded boring to me, but accurate and with lots of detail which is obviously good for mixing.

Latest posts

Back