T4b ownage

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
oh ,

been out of commission for a moment in time ,

ive been selling t4s for awhile now .

mainly to the pcb builders ,

sorta kept it off radar because its not a non profit.
even though im a long way from paying off the 4000$
in test equipment.

im not offering kits yet untill the cells are manufactured.
its just not worth the time due to the loss rate of cells.
and my time is very expensive .

(graph below shows useable (traditional speed) cells between the pink lines)

im very meticulous about the way i test and build them .
the cells are matched perfectly and the unit is assembled
with just as much care.

your welcome to email me .

cell-test.jpg

t4-pair.jpg

cells-in-waiting.jpg

empty-pcb.jpg

clips.jpg

cells-waiting.jpg

nice-pic.jpg

pile.jpg

surgery.jpg

old-and-new.jpg

orange-drop.jpg

Thought it was about time to revive this thread. I finally got around to testing the NSL-5910's I had lying around and here are the results:

NSL-5910_ALLCELLS.jpg

All of the cells are within the range that would make great sounding T4 units, although all of them had significantly faster recovery times than the cells used in the original (now vintage) T4A and T4B units.

Also, one other noteworthy item that can be gleaned from this graph, there's one cell that I would reject due to its dark resistance being too low. It appears to be cell #15 from the graph. This would cause the T4 unit to be attenuating a little bit all the time and my anal nature would not allow this.

I guess the lesson to be learned here is something we already knew: the NSL-5910 photocell will make a great sounding T4 unit. But, other lessons are that, the cells definitely need to be matched and tested for dark resistance.

Also, this weekend I put together a unit I'm calling a 'T4F', for use in my 'Frank' LA-2A clone (see http://www.kenetek.com/CLA2A/Frank/tabid/183/Default.aspx for more info on Frank). It uses the two fastest and two slowest cells in this bunch to give a three different compression/release curves. I stayed up way too late last night playing with Frank after getting him calibrated with his new T4F. It sounds fantastic! Here's a link to more info: http://www.kenetek.com/OtherStuff/AboutT4units/AbouttheT4F/tabid/289/Default.aspx

I'm looking forward to testing the NSL5910s to see how they compare. I'll post the results ASAP.

[quote author="getter"][quote author="mkoz"]Whoever lifted those T4Bs from JBL, if he's reading this thread, he must be thinking "there goes another 50 grand to shut this guy up as well..."

:green:

M.[/quote]

DAVID KULKA STUDIO ELECTRONICS BOUGHT THE REMAINING STOCK OF T4Bs ACCORDING TO JBL.
HE SELLS THEM AT A LARGE PROFIT AS A SERVICE TO THE AUDIO ENGINEERING COMMUNITY[/quote]

I Agree with Volker here. A couple of points -

a) David Kulka did not buy all of the remaining stock. Here is a quote from him on another thread "Did I buy all the tent sale units? I bought a lot of them -- maybe half of JBL's stock over the last year they were for sale -- but far from all. There were one or two other major buyers. A person at JBL told me that towards the end of the tent sale, a buyer contacted them wanting to buy a thousand units. The other buyer (buyers?) is keeping a low profile and I have no idea who it is."

b) David has said in the past (couldn't find the thread) that his primary motivation in buying up stock was to guarantee supply for the clients of his (very reputable) shop. Selling to the DIY community is something he does as an aside, I do not believe it was his primary motivation. If it was he'd have a permanent auction on ebay with a silly buy it now price...

c) David seems like a thoroughly nice bloke and drops by often to answer questions when people are trying to repair old gear - despite the fact that he makes his living out of repairing old gear.

Cheers,
Ruairi

[quote author="getter"][quote author="mkoz"]Whoever lifted those T4Bs from JBL, if he's reading this thread, he must be thinking "there goes another 50 grand to shut this guy up as well..."

:green:

M.[/quote]

DAVID KULKA STUDIO ELECTRONICS BOUGHT THE REMAINING STOCK OF T4Bs ACCORDING TO JBL.
HE SELLS THEM AT A LARGE PROFIT AS A SERVICE TO THE AUDIO ENGInEERING COMMUNITY[/quote]

Dudes you should sit back, read threads, get to know people here before u say such things

[quote author="getter"]

[/quote]

Did JBL tell you this - because Mr.Kulka has gone on record here saying that he didnt buy everything.If you've been informed that by JBL then I dont know what to say.

Joe,

You beat me to that one, I was thinking the same thing regarding multiple cells inside the T4B. I actually had one done up and was waiting for my V2 PCB and T4B from Drip to arrive and then I started the idea of moving. Now it's in a box in storage for now..

Kevin

Back