Taming the SSL's threshold sensitivity.

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
OK,
I'm trying to get a grip on this one. Is the final concenses that there needs to be specific changes done to the circuit when using 218x?

I don't understand why Gyraf says on his site that they are interchangable & doesn't mention this. I've talked to a few guys on the phone that had the same problem...same chips. :mad:

Roger, your posts are very helpful in many ways :thumb: but I still don't see a comon fix among members. It shouldn't be this random...should it?

Also, how do these changes affect the ratio's?

I'd like some more input from Gyraf on this on. :wink:

As many people have done it, it is really still a work in progress. New features are being added (sidechain filters, etc) and different tweaks are being used by different people. Gyraf perhaps hasn't made a GSSL using every VCA. Which 218x are you using? I can help if you are using a 2181LB. I have it all scribbled on a PCB layout print-out at home. There are some pieces that can be left out around the pair of VCAs, some resistor values that need to be changed around them per THAT specs, I believe I changed those two 47K summing resistors in the middle to 120K, and I stuck a resistor onto one leg of the threshold pot (I'll check when I get home). If I am reading things right, I am getting slightly under the 2:1, 4:1 and 10:1 ratios which is AOK with me, and the threshold is right where I need it (I forget if it is -20/+20 exactly, but similar). Oh yeah, I did the little mod to adjust the output to balanced unity gain, can't remember right now what that entailed.
Do some more research on what people here have done, and DIVE IN! Nothing is permanent.

hi,

the usual mod to reduce the treshold sensitivity seems to be a resistor in serie with the treshold pot.

but i'd like to get best of both world...

can i make this resistor switchable ?

i mean if i put a 1PDT switch to switch this resistor off & on beeteen the treshold pot and the circuit board, will it cause any trouble when switching that can arm the circuit ?

is a pot instead of the resistor a better idea ?

Back