the Poor Man 660 support thread

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Probably you did do Q5 - could also have fritzed the components around it D9, D10 R8-R11.

I'm pretty sure I've done all of them at one time or other. You'll need to check and probably replace some of these.
It's all relatively easily done - I would replace Q5, check D9, D10 and the other resistors as best you can.
Tricky part if not lifting and breaking the traces on rework.

You're lucky the little transistors aren't involved - they are pretty painful to remove and replace.

Cheers

Replaced Q5 and it's working fine again.
the next thing I'd like to do now is to install the side chain amp....looks like I have lots of searching and reading to do! Unless any of you guys have current info on the SCAMP perhaps bookmarked or saved...that would be very much appreciated!

Freddy G said:
Replaced Q5 and it's working fine again.
the next thing I'd like to do now is to install the side chain amp....looks like I have lots of searching and reading to do! Unless any of you guys have current info on the SCAMP perhaps bookmarked or saved...that would be very much appreciated!

Everything is there :
http://www.groupdiy.com/index.php?topic=32965.0
Only 9 pages to read...

Have fun and post on that thread if you've got problems with the SCAB...

I have everything stuffed and pcbs mounted for this and while double checking the resistance on the edcor input and output transformers, I'm finding there are 4 input and 1 output transformer with open secondaries. Two of the wires just needed resoldering, however the others must be broken inside somewhere. So the question is, should I pick up more edcors or upgrade the input trannies to something better suited for this?
Edit: I'm thinking of getting the Sowter 4383 for inputs. I've seen a few people tried these from doing a search. Any thoughts? Is it worth the extra cost? I'm going to order Sowters for my pmeqp1 also, so maybe save on shipping?

I found  similar with the XSM traffos - about 4 in 12 with o/c coil. Nice paper weights though :)

Personally, I would just replace them - the cost of Sowters probably isn't appropriate, given the number of traffos in a pair of these. The resultant unit is good and unique but imho, only to a certain cost point is it worth the trouble.

So - I would advise persevere with the XSM and try to avoid them in the future.
I generally use Carnhills now where I would once use an Edcor. 100% WOA  (working on arrival!)

No other transformer from any manufacturer in my 30+years of EEng related work has a  DOA failure rate anywhere near that achieved by this little budget transformer. Including cheap Chinese ones  :)

The higher value Edcor transformers have all been 100% WOA for me and I regard them very well.
But the XSM and WSM. Nope. Using my last ones and never again.

I only have so many papers needing weighting

Thanks Alexc. It definitely is more affordable to go that route. I may just do that.
I guess I should also clarify, that I bought this kit from a forum member and the transformers were not wrapped up very well, which is what I suspect the failure came from. Who knows.

Mine were well wrapped, and foamed and boxed and boxed again! And from 3+ different shippings.

And none of the other hundred or so I have shipped here from all over the world have been DOA even once.

There's a reason they are 'cost effective' - the QC must be on a sample basis of 1 in 100K units or something.

I did mention the issue to them in an email. No acknowledgement at all.

Oh well - you don't get what you don't pay for. I'd rather spring for Carnhills which end up being double the price.
But they always work and I don't end up wasting a few months for a replacement batch to arrive, only to find 1/4 of them too are NFG. It became truly ridiculous. Never again. Not never!

Anyway - when they do work they are OK.

Funny,  ALL the XSM trafos i've bought from them have worked perfectly. And i've used them for my D-LA2A, PM670, G9...

And they sound great.

Anyway, is the schematic going to be public or what? I think this was a great project for somebody like me, who came in much later when all the dirty re-design work was allready done. My PM670 gets plenty of showtime.

[quote author=analag]Sorry man I rarely come here anymore. Release the schemo, let it be free man. I appreciate the work you did, one day we should have a drink together bro.[/quote]

Thanks - we will do 8)

SCHEMATIC

melville said:
I've lost my copy of the poorman schematic. I've got pretty much all the parts, just a case and a few resistors left to order, but just can't find the schematic anywhere. I'm sure I could build it from all the docs and info in this thread, but would prefer to have them. Anyone know where I can get a new copy from? Obviously happy to pay an "admin"/postage fee.

Any pointers greatly appreciated.

Cheers

If Analag or Volker can´t provide one, i´ll be glad to send  you a scanned copy, of course if they approve it !

I wanted to ask, has anyone got the chance of testing the poorman with any other input trafo choices ?  I´m looking for an upgrade but don´t want to shoot blind !

Thanks !

So I'm checking my voltages before I hook up my PSU to anything and I'm noticing that my Bernbrue group buy toroid is only putting out 147VAC unconnected, instead of 250+ VAC. Does it need to be loaded to give accurate readings or Is this thing dead?
Edit: I have received my replacement Edcor trannies and am ready to start connecting things. Front panel is due any day also!

duantro said:
So I'm checking my voltages before I hook up my PSU to anything and I'm noticing that my Bernbrue group buy toroid is only putting out 147VAC unconnected, instead of 250+ VAC. Does it need to be loaded to give accurate readings or Is this thing dead?
Edit: I have received my replacement Edcor trannies and am ready to start connecting things. Front panel is due any day also!
Are you sure about the toroid primary wiring ? It seams that you only have half of the voltage out... It make me think you wired the primaries serialy and if you're in the USA, you should wire them in parallel.

lolo-m said:
duantro said:
Are you sure about the toroid primary wiring ? It seams that you only have half of the voltage out... It make me think you wired the primaries serialy and if you're in the USA, you should wire them in parallel.
I have the primary white wires tied together with the live line from power switch, and yellow primary wires tied together with the neutral from the switch.
And yes, I'm in the US.

duantro said:
I have the primary white wires tied together with the live line from power switch, and yellow primary wires tied together with the neutral from the switch.
And yes, I'm in the US.
Your power transformer is wired correctly for a US guy...
I don't understand what's happening. You should have more than 250V on the HT winding unplugged...

Ok , I'm not sure what I was doing but it measures fine now. It must be the ghost from my studio showing up to mess with me ;D
I am only getting 162VDC and 86VDC for the 250 and 136 outputs. I'll check voltages around the psu to see where its dead.

edit: It looks like r1 is only letting thru 147V. I pulled it and it is showing 470k resistance :eek:. Ah the joy of buying a half assembled project! I'll order a new one and see if it was the problem. I guess Analag suggests a 10W for r1 now (post 2575). It sure is fun desoldering inside the valley of those heat sinks!
I have upped my c1 and c3 to 450V, and have changed c6 to 47uf orange drop cap. Does anyone recommend that I implement some of ppa's mods while I'm in here lifting traces? ;D

2nd edit: I picked up a 2W 47r replacement for r1 and viola! Voltages are where they are supposed to be 8) I went ahead and ordered all of the extra possible psu mod parts to have on hand, if this thing starts to act up.
On to wiring up transformers while waiting for front panel to show up.

HI - I'm sure this has to be somewhere in this thread but my searching skills have apparently failed me. Is there any estimate for the cost of building this unit...either the 660 or the 670?

These all look amazing!

Thanks!!

MikeFFG said:
HI - I'm sure this has to be somewhere in this thread but my searching skills have apparently failed me. Is there any estimate for the cost of building this unit...either the 660 or the 670?

perhaps go back to gearslutz? perhaps come back when you're ready for the technical stuff.

Kingston said:
MikeFFG said:

perhaps go back to gearslutz? perhaps come back when you're ready for the technical stuff.

Ummmm that seems unnecessarily rude.

I've built an 1176, a gssl and an ez1290. Is it such a sin to wonder how much this particular project is going to cost?

You need a hug.

Back