Type 1272 Preamp with JLM Hotrod Mod and BA283AV (Pics)

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
yeah but Joe
:grin:
we like that ClassA to help keep a cold, cold studio .... nice and warm
KranK up the bias
:cool:

Joe, we know things should be adjusted properly
but where's the fun in that ?
Joe knows I'm only kidding

speaking of Kids !

getting any sleep at the moment !! ??

Thanks Paul.

I use Front Panel Express for my panel graphics. It's a black anodized aluminum front engraved with no in-filling. Go to:
www.frontpanelexpress.com

They're in Seattle... so you're damn lucky. It takes nearly 3 weeks to ship them the panel, get it engraved, then have it shipped back to me.

Since you're going with the 31267 (re-wired) on the input, see if you get your hands on a LO1166 for the output. It'll probably be pricy, but it seems like you're going for something closer to the original.

hello Greg,
really nice work :wink:
do you have a price for one preamp?
i'd like to do one or more and i thought that the ba283 AM and AV was required for a preamp and not only the ba283AV card?
thanks

My parts list has pricing:
http://www.groupdiy.com/index.php?topic=15373&highlight=hotrod

The BA283AV consists of the NV preamp stage and AM output stage, which is needed for the 1272.

Hope this helps.

Greg ,
your stuff looks GREAT :thumb:

I just aquired 2 HOT ROD boards & 2x L31267 St. Ives input trannys from Adam so I'm getting into this project full force :green:

I need some help though...

Do you have a schematic or the changes for the power supply you could send me or share?

Also, I noticed in your parts list the 22-0-22 TX... are you just using one side?

AND - how does that effect the VA rating if you are?

I ask because I though about using a 12-0-12 (series secondary) for 24 volts but I'm not sure how that effects the VA rating either???

Thanks,
Kevin

BTW, How does your 1272 compare to other pres you have?... I've never heard a NEVE anything before & don't know what to expect.

Hi Kevin,

don't forget you still need 48V. I think thats where the 22-0-22 comes in.

If I'm not mistaking, all you have to do is omit the parts of the rails that you don't want to use and you are in business.

peace
Gil

[quote author="khstudio"]Do you have a schematic or the changes for the power supply you could send me or share?[/quote]
I used Fabio's PSU. I just scribbled on a printout, so I don't have the changes documented electronically, but it's quite simple. After the bridge rectifier (4 diodes), just leave of all the electronics for the negative rail. Then I just trimmed the 317 to 24VDC. And leave off all the 5V electronics as well.

[quote author="khstudio"]Also, I noticed in your parts list the 22-0-22 TX... are you just using one side?

AND - how does that effect the VA rating if you are?

I ask because I thought about using a 12-0-12 (series secondary) for 24 volts but I'm not sure how that effects the VA rating either???[/quote]
I used a 22-0-22 because I have a bunch of them in parts. And yes, I wired the secondaries in series and just used one "tap." Regarding VA, there's a wonderful explanation on how to calculate VA on the Avel Lindberg website. Each channel of 1272 draws 120mA or so when biased properly. I think I used 500mA for a 2 channel unit to account for additional LEDs and opamps. So 24V * 0.5A = 12VA. So a 15VA should do it for a 2 channel unit. I think I used a 25VA or 30VA, so all is well.

A 12-0-12 will work in series, but in this case, you're center tap won't be your reference, one of other leads will. This way you'll get the full 24Vac swing.

[quote author="khstudio"]BTW, How does your 1272 compare to other pres you have?... I've never heard a NEVE anything before & don't know what to expect.[/quote]
It's sound great... but very different from anything APIish. Expect a rich, creamy sound, but not a punchy buttom end. Based on what you've built, I think it will be a perfect compement to your APIs/PM-1000s.

[quote author="Andre"]Hey Greg,

It looks like you've got some contingency with the cost of your iron on your parts list. Is this by design?[/quote]

Greg doesn't sell part's!

He helps the group by making HIS parts list available to the group.

The cost of the component can & WILL change from what he has listed.

Especially the AMVECO TOROIDAL'S... DOUBLED IN PRICE RECENTLY :mad:

Good Luck,
Kevin

[quote author="Purusha"]I guess 24V-0-24V 30VA toroid will cover the stereo hot rod 1272 needs? What about the +48 phantom power? How do you solve this?[/quote]

You can use the JLM ACDC & leave out the (-) Rail parts... This is what I'm doing.

Kevin

Hey Purusha,

Are you still interested in doing some N*eve / Hotrod rack cases? :wink: :razz:

Roddy

Latest posts

Back