U47 & C12 DIY Microphone Kit, Capsules CK12 K47 K67 K87 & Parts

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Which DIY mic do you prefer?

• Neumann U47 DIY

Votes: 4 40.0%
  • Neumann U67 DIY

Votes: 1 10.0%
  • Neumann U87 DIY

• Telefunken ELA-M 251 DIY

Votes: 3 30.0%
  • AKG C12 DIY

• Total voters
The original capsule inside the M-87 can perfectly do a figure-8 characteristic, it only depends upon the circuit. Personally I modified a couple of M-87 microphones, keeping the original capsule.
Less noise, more gain. Microphone is very usable now!

http://www.vansteenissoftware.nl/M-87.pdf

Potikinawah said:
No way to take a side.

Still this kind of shockmount really easily leaves such strippes, just one has to put the microphone inside and try to move it a bit during mic placement (which is more than common) so i guess the scratches we can see down there are pretty common when using that kinda shockmount.

Would micandmod be so kind to offer shockmount as an option in the kit ? I truly believe many among us would prefer shockmount like Rycote Invision series which are just great and don't leave any scratch on the mic (and you generally don't need a thousand mic on a vocal, just one so that "one shockmount to rule them all" is quite usual)

When do you schedule to finish a real M87 capsule (as you told the previous is more like a K67 capsule with only 2 conductors which don't allow figure-8 which I personnaly need, being a blumlein and MS enthusiast) ? I'm a bit waiting for it before any order, if you know it's gonna be long i should get only the bodies and try with another capsule first.

Hi,
The shockmount is already available free in the kit, and with the microphone.
We propose soon brand shockmounts as we can get good prices for customers.
Personally, I've never had a problem with our shockmount regarding the stripes.
You must insert the microphone, claws down and not push completely the mic (see the video presentation).
Regarding the U87 kit, for now it's out of stock.
We will soon offer the capsule MK-87 (counted about 1 month), which will be compatible with Figure 8.
Once the kit will be available again, there will be an option with MK-67 capsule and an option without capsule (Normally, if there is no change).
Best :)

ram75 said:
I've received the mic, well, first i couldn't see the "multiple stripes" as talked before
then I look at the shockmount, I thought it was a joke
The first shockmount who actually ruins your mic, ah ah ah.
500 euros.

Hi ram75,
I gave you my phone number and email.
Thank you not to use this thread for this problem.
Best.
Yannick

kante1603 said:
Package received today,just four days to germany,good tracking.
More later......
So here we go.

Had a quick look at it and was able to confirm the wiring of the pattern switch in the other threads.Cool.

I had the feeling that the body is slightly smaller than originals,but that's o.k.,it's really slight.
The look of the headbasket is really nice,I like it more than my B2Pro builds,and it is closer to the original Neumanns,no doubt.

About scratch sensitivity,it is indeed a little sensitive,but not more than others!
One should be aware that microphones of this league are instruments(!!!)-and they want to be handeled that way!This is not an SM58 you can use to nail things to the wall!
I looked back to the pics of this scratched mic that was returned to Yannick and compared it to my kit.
The scratches do have a certain spacing to each other,easy to see they are roughly 90 degrees apart.
And that leads me to-believe it or not-that this guy has inserted the mic the wrong way around in the shockmount!
The mic must be put the right way in due to its's conical shape,so the clamp rings show to the headbasket side.Otherwise you will definetely get those scratches because the four longer metal stripes form a lower diameter than their counterpart.
As said,just be careful,give your mic some love ;D

The shockmount itself is not a high-end piece,it's o.k.,Yannick puts them in as a kind of gift,therefore it is for free.
Thought a bit longer about it,I think we should search for a shockmount that is screwed to the bottom of the mic like the original (super-expensive) mount.The thread is already there!
Therefore I ordered a modular shockmount having four changeable threaded inserts.I hope that one of them will fit the thread.If so I will happily post the results here if you're interested.It's not too cheap,70 Euros or so,but hey,this is for a wonderful microphone,hence not really expensive,no?
What do you think Yannick?Or have you found an alternative one meanwhile?
Mounting by screwing to the bottom will help preventing scratches too I think.

That's it for today,

Have a good night and sweet dreams,

Udo.

kante1603 said:
What do you think Yannick?Or have you found an alternative one meanwhile?
Mounting by screwing to the bottom will help preventing scratches too I think.

That's it for today,

Have a good night and sweet dreams,

Udo.

Thank Udo for your review :)
Yes, we'll think about it.
But this is expected.
We will offer other shockmounts in the future.
Best ;)

Therefore I ordered a modular shockmount having four changeable threaded inserts.I hope that one of them will fit the thread.

Mmmm.... that sounds interesting! Where did you order it? Do you have a picture available?

These maybe?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Microphone-Shock-Mount-Holder-Clip-For-Neumann-TLM170-M150-TLM193-D01-U87-U89i-/190926482987?pt=UK_ConsumerElectronics_EquipmentStands_SM&hash=item2c741aee2b

Best
M

Looks interesting too,same style as my order.

@RuudNL

I ordered mine from BM-Microphones.Wanted to buy here in germany because it is easier for me to send them back in case that no thread works.The order shipping is confirmed already,so if all goes well i can post results at the weekend or on monday.

Best,

Udo.

Edit:Link added

http://www.ebay.de/itm/Modulare-Mikrofonspinne-shockmount-passend-auch-fur-Neumann-Mikrofone-/200978489508?pt=DE_Elektronik_Computer_Audio_Hi_Fi_Mikrofone&hash=item2ecb4060a4

Info on my test buy from BM-Microphones

Received the modular shockmount today,sadly it doesn't work (included threaded inserts are all too wide in diameter).
They do fit on original U87Ai etc.btw.

Sad.........so let's search again......

Best,

Udo

If i may, Rycote Invision shockmounts as previously suggested are totally compatible with most large diaphragme (only depending on its size), they are trust worthy and don't leave any scratch on the mic

Potikinawah said:
If i may, Rycote Invision shockmounts as previously suggested are totally compatible with most large diaphragme (only depending on its size), they are trust worthy and don't leave any scratch on the mic
Yes, we have them already.
Sadly I can't control everybody here,at least somebody managed to screw the four holders so that I have 4 dents in a pair of original U87Ai's each,pretty ugly now.........

But thanks for "investigating" with us,hahaha.... ;D

Best,

Udo.

kante1603 said:
Info on my test buy from BM-Microphones

Received the modular shockmount today,sadly it doesn't work (included threaded inserts are all too wide in diameter).
They do fit on original U87Ai etc.btw.

Sad.........so let's search again......

Best,

Udo

I haven't tried in a shockmount EA87, but if it's the same...
We are seeking to build new shockmount EA87 style for the M-87.
I'll let you know soon. But great idea Udo for this suggestion :)
Best.
Yannick

Hello Yannick,

my MK-12 Capsule arrived today.
Very fast delivery. I will test it next week and report back.

Merci beaucoup aussi pour le plaque métal.  :D

Andreas

micandmod said:
I haven't tried in a shockmount EA87, but if it's the same...
Not completely the same but same style,at least two (the long) supplied inserts fit a U87Ai.

micandmod said:
We are seeking to build new shockmount EA87 style for the M-87.
I'll let you know soon. But great idea Udo for this suggestion :)
Best.
Yannick
You're welcome,

Best,

Udo.

Back