using bipolar electrolytics instead of tants in calrec eq?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Has anybody built the Calrec with lytics?

A side by side test sure would be a luxery here.

I purchased the remaining stock of tants from Haltek when they went down.
I think I have close to 10,000.
Payed about $150.
Is it the 33/16 volt guys that are driving upthe price?

Anyway, it would not be a bother to drop a few in the mail.
They are taking up cupboard space in the kitchen.
Yeah, I know thats weird.

[quote author="CJ"]Has anybody built the Calrec with lytics?

A side by side test sure would be a luxery here.

I purchased the remaining stock of tants from Haltek when they went down.
I think I have close to 10,000.
Payed about $150.
Is it the 33/16 volt guys that are driving upthe price?

Anyway, it would not be a bother to drop a few in the mail.
They are taking up cupboard space in the kitchen.
Yeah, I know thats weird.[/quote]

CJ when I get eveything else in front of me, I may take you up on that if no one else has. Or I may just go ahead and get the tants from mouser. That's probaly down the line a ways, I'm tackling some DI's first. :cool:

(home from holiday)

There is a very good sonic reason why Calrec used Tants - it's not because of space saving or the like, there's plenty of room at the EQ pcb. And Calrec uses 'lytics nearly anywhere else in the board modules - including in the same module.

I've tried building the eq with electrolytics-only, but there's quite a difference in the sound - to the advantage of the tants - even when using good-quality 'lytics.

So this is why I ended up specifying tants for the DIY-project even though I'm no big fan of tants for anything.

It seems that if used right, tants can work very well for audio - see e.g. the NTP compressors - but I have no technical explanation for this.

Jakob E.

interesting.. makes me want to get a handful and try them in my EQ.. now is this for coupling or for filters?

3$ a peice for 100uf..

Jakob gave a partial answer, but to help get the focus right :roll: fuller answers to these burning questions would be interesting:
..What do Calrec use in their EQs today? Tant or electrolytic?
..If tant, why?
..If electrolytic, why?

(Please, no-one answer "algorithm" to the question of what do Calrec use in their EQs today!! :razz: )

Latest posts

Back