Vari-Mu Compressor Project

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The schematics you publish are vague and present more questions than answers
Which ones.
I'm almost tempted to open my treasure chest.
Maybe one day when the beatings stop and my morale improves, huh.

Analag

[quote author="tk@halmi"][quote author="analag"]I was invited to leave the forum, I think I made history with that one...
Rowan[/quote]

LOL. You were not the first one, but I don't think that was called for anyhow.

I offer this post sincerely as constructive criticism and I hope you take it as such, and not as an opportunity to lash out.
The schematics you publish are vague and present more questions than answers. An engineer must be precise and offer clarity either through the schematics or by attached explanation. The theory of operation and some details of construction will be most appreciated by your audience here. It will minimize misunderstanding. I am sure they have impressed upon you in engineering school: fit your presentation to the audience and you are going to communiate successfully. Not every person is an engineer on this forum. On the contrary, most patrons are just looking here for hobby projects, and have basic knowledge of electronics.

We would love to see your next project and have a civilized dialog about it.

Cheers,
Tamas[/quote]

i think there is a good point here in maybe providing more details of construction - because most of US are not that familiar with this kind of stuff. im a guitar pedal builder that is also a recording engineer...i love diy, but most of the time when PRR, New York Dave, or some of these other cats start to reply to something - i find myself scratching my head and saying "huh ?" so maybe the point is to make it a little more user friendly analag. especially to us newbs around here.

and as far as those who reply, if they have a correction, do so privately and let him fix it. then everyone else can help out publically by asking questions. i look at it all like a proposal. you propose a design, and in this attitude everyone can KINDLY offer suggestions or questions regarding the material presented. i get the feeling though that when someone offers a design here, people tear it apart like a pack of wolves.
ive seen it here on numerous occasions in the short time ive been here.
of course it's very hard to tell this type of thing when there is no voice inflections or body language to go along with the conversation.

there is another forum that i frequent ALOT where when someone comes up with a design (schematic) someone else gets in there and will offer a pcb for everyone to look at. then if there's corrections, they offer those.
some others will come up with part substitutions and so forth. if it's a hand drawn schematic, someone else will redraw it.... it's an online community at it's best where everyone helps out.

Make this an online community....share and share alike, and leave the attitude behind.

now let's diy....

The context in which I offer a schematic is never as a project to build so to speak, but as an idea and a discussion piece. If I am asked to provide full details so that one of the designs I proposed can be built, then I will gladly do so. Provided it is one that I agree to share all the way.
There are those on here who will see where your design can be improved, will offer critisizm, but no fix. So that basically leaves you right where you started.

Anyway it should be easier to ask a question than to make an accusation.
And if sometimes I seem a little rough around the edges...it's because I'm only a man and like most things...room temperature affects my quiescent operating point
icon_wink.gif

Analag

[quote author="analag"]
...room temperature affects my quiescent operating point
icon_wink.gif

Analag[/quote]

:green:

chrissugar

this thread is almost three years old, but is there any chance of seeing the proposed schematic, which I understand is basically an Altec 436 with tubes substituted?

I have been continously modifying a pair of 438C, mainly with infos from this forum :)guinness: NYDave) and a little help from the guy from Horch. These particular units are still a bit noisy and I believe it is due to poor quality / out of spec tubes and I'd love to try substitutions for the vari-mu and output tube, maybe even try replacing the tube diode with a silicon rectifier.

thanks, Marten

Hi Analog/Rowan,

Are you the same 'analog' who designed the "poor man's 660" circuit that is being sold (PCBs) in the Black Market forum?

Is that the same circuit as the one being discussed here?

It it is you but isn't the same circuit could you comment about the characteristics of that circuit?

Thanks much.

I'm new to this forum. A real newbie, can solder (barely) but know very little about circuits.

I have a GE Unilevel that I LOVE and have longed for more vari-mu compressors.

Linus

[quote author="Linus"]Hi Analog/Rowan,

Are you the same 'analog' who designed the "poor man's 660" circuit that is being sold (PCBs) in the Black Market forum?

Is that the same circuit as the one being discussed here?

It it is you but isn't the same circuit could you comment about the characteristics of that circuit?
[/quote]

analag it is, not analog.
Yes I did the "poor man's 660" which is essentially the Fairchild 660 streamlined and not needing any estoric parts to make it function.
The circuit here is not the same and since then I have become a fan of the Fairchild topology as it's simply the best mu compressor implementation there is.

analag

Back