WE417A / 12B4A mic pre schematics

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
[quote author="sismofyt"]

actually, it was cj who finally cracked open a flux capacitor so we could make a groupdiy timemachine to get you back to germany in 1943 to get a stash of VF14s[/quote]

doh. I kept asking about V2s. No wonder I got in trouble.

glad you're back safe. dating was not part of the mission

I don't have the heart to tell CJ though. NYDave was there too.... guess he was working on the flux capacitor thing too. He... well

Dave didn't make it out. :sad:

Wow I sure have made a mockery of a perfectly good 417a preamp thread. I'm going to have to build this to make up for my bad behavior . I love reusing cool looking chassis too, I never buy a new chassis at all. I have some of the other parts including the zooty caps.

I have a 1:20 Thordarson input xformer... think I could try that?

danke (kitso),

Kiira

[quote author="kiira"]doh. I kept asking about V2s. No wonder I got in trouble.[/quote]

but you did manage to snatch herr neumann up and take him to london, and thereby altering the future for the lot of us, right?

[quote author="kiira"]I don't have the heart to tell CJ though. NYDave was there too.... guess he was working on the flux capacitor thing too. He... well

Dave didn't make it out. :sad: [/quote]

of course dave was there. our timemachine is a two seater stereo. didn't you notice the pilot? someone had to get the braun book, while you were smoozing up gents

[quote author="kiira"] Wow I sure have made a mockery of a perfectly good 417a preamp thread. I'm going to have to build this to make up for my bad behavior . I love reusing cool looking chassis too, I never buy a new chassis at all. I have some of the other parts including the zooty caps. [/quote]

surely you jest? .. recycling is a must, yes

[quote author="kiira"]I have a 1:20 Thordarson input xformer... think I could try that?

danke (kitso),

Kiira[/quote]

you might. probably need a pad, but it could be cool with ribbons

Pad yes, 1:15 needs 20db pad and still attempts to clip the recorder.

Have you folks found a cheap place to get real 417a's? they are going for like 30-40$ now!

5842s are still 10-15$ though.

[quote author="Svart"]

Pad yes, 1:15 needs 20db pad and still attempts to clip the recorder.

Have you folks found a cheap place to get real 417a's? they are going for like 30-40$ now!

5842s are still 10-15$ though.[/quote]

you only need a pad with high output mics. not with dynamics (unless you're blasting a marshall at +130dB)

cheap 471As? ahahhhahrhahhahaaarrrrr.... like not

50$ for a NOS/NIB is cheap (and that is a real NOS/NIB not some jacked shite from a worn out scope, i'd rather have a fresh 5842)

it'll work fine with 5842s. it's a matter of choosing between cherry or strawberry pie .. it's not a choice between pie and nothing

you can have your cake and eat it :green:

it'll also work with a ghetto psu, two 9VAC tx gyraf style, couple of bridges and a few no name caps

but now the cake is gone and all that is left is tea and crumpets :razz:

crumpets.jpg

jim sometimes have good WE471As, allthough it doesn't look like he's got any right now:

http://pages.prodigy.net/jimmcshane/

i'd be carefull 'bout getting them from evilbay. they're too precious and thus in the claws of shady characters. i've been burned more than once unfurtunally :cry: bought loads of 5842s with no probs

Latest posts

Back