Console at +8, everything else at +4?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fazeka

Reaction score
Hi,

Liking the idea of this forum. ;D Hopefully it will be just as great/popular as some of the others!

Although the Quantum QM-168 mixer I use is adequate, I have a chance to upgrade to a console (Ward Beck) that is a little more flexible and has better performance/specs.

My current setup is a 3M M56 8-track used in conjunction with the Quantum, and an Ampex AG-350 mixdown machine and some outboard rack gear. All operate at +4 dBu.

The WB console I've been somewhat interested in operates at +8 dBu IIRC.

Although not common, I don't think running a +8 console with everything else at +4 is a unique set up. In other words, I don't think this should influence my decision on whether I should/shouldn't go with the console...

However, I want to ask so I have a better understanding as the console is a significant investment for me.

Are there any inconveniences I am overlooking or any downside to using a +8 console with everything else at +4?

Is there any advantage/disadvantage to strapping the 3M and the Ampex at +8 and leaving the outboard gear at +4?

Would it be better to bring the console down to +4 instead? If so, would this merely be a mod to the master outs? Would the inputs need to "go down", as well? Or other mods?

Forgive me if these are elementary questions, I am still relatively wet behind the ears (I'll be 40 this year).

Thanks for any guidance anyone can provide.

Chris

Hey Chris

I just answered you're email.  8)

You'll have no issues using any +4 gear with the Ward Beck console. Basically, you'll have more headroom which is a good thing.

I loved my WBS console and one day I'll get her up and running again.

I've got to find a nice frame for it since I had to trash the original one or
perhaps I'll just rack up some of the modules and call it a day. I do miss
having faders to grab.

You'll love the Ward Beck.

Mark

Someplace inside the Ward-Beck, probably on the cards connecting to the meters, there is an adjustment -- switch, jumper, something -- which recalibrates the meters so that 0 VU = +4sBu. Find that setting, do it, and now you have a Ward-Beck console with nominal +4dBu output and awesome amounts of headroom.

Peace,
Paul

Mark, thanks for the email and this post!

Paul, you as well!

Both you guys are awesome!

Just looked at the manual for the meters, and there's a sensitivity jumper adjustment for 0,+4,+8,+14db @ 600 or 150 ohms as Paul suggested.

So it looks like you're good to go!

Mark

Cheers on the QM-168! I got one and modified it and love it. Though is doesn't have the most flexible eq I like the basic straightforwardness of it. I put in buss inserts that help. Good luck with the WARD Beck!
AC

Hi Chris,
(Sorry to veer off-topic...) Cool setup! I love it when I find out about other people who use a 1" 8-track as their main multitrack. (I'm using an Otari MX70 myself, with a B67mkII as my main mixdown deck).
Just out of curiosity, how do you deal with the lack of a counter in your AG-350? Do you insert leader between every take? Or do you just eyeball it?
I have the full-track version of the machine and I absolutely love the sound of it; I'm hoping to mix an album on it one day.

Ether,

Two words: grease pencil
Two more words: "old school"

I try to avoid editing or leadering (I guess I am lazy :p). Also if my splice is bad (because I don't do it as much as I used to), I don't have to worry about splices flying apart during RW/FF.

YMMV.

Back