500 series modular API style console...625CR Control Room Module Done Page 21!!

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mo,

I don't really have a time-frame in my head. For me, this is a project that coincides with a few other things I have going. The last few months have been extremely busy at the store and I just haven't had much time to spend on this. It is funny but, after being away from the drawings, especially that of the metal/mechanical parts, it's almost like I have to re-learn it again. It literally can take an hour or two of studying things to get back to where I was at! I hope things will be easier time wise once the VP312DI project is behind me. I would really like to only focus on this modular console concept.

Cheers, Jeff

Glad to hear the store is doing well!! It's not like people are goin to lose interest in a project this cool... Love the concept!! Think I might sketch up a stereo group/master module to complement these channel strips... Maybe a width control like the calrec modules have... I say might. I have quite slot of other stuff on my plate just now tho...

Oh, I will. I have 4 of the boards designed. I just need to go over them and get the Gerbers prepared. I had a custom module to complete that is almost ready for a proto build. When that is done, I will hit this again and make it happen.  8)

Hey Jeff!

I know it's cheeky, but any chance of having a wee peek at the 4 finished modules? Im interested to see what is making it's way through the pipeline!!

Mo

DAN_000 said:
...Do you know when this will be done ?
It's hard to give a realistic date Dan. I can say progress is being made and that I have proto boards for a very related project due in to me later this week.

Hi guys,

The boards I just mentioned were suppose to get here last Friday. The FedEx tracking says I will get them Tuesday. That being said, I figure it’s time to show what I have been working on.

Now, before I continue, this new module was not originally intended to be used for the 500 series modular console. After some thought the last few days, I think I will make a few small changes to it and it will become the “heart/brains” of the console input channel.

The module started with some idea tossing back and forth between myself and my friend Dan Deurloo. I have always wanted to add the “second stage” from my console to one of my preamps. There is something magic about following an API pre with an API eq (even set flat) and the second stage of the console. Dan said he would really like to have a great sounding high pass filter for tracking, mixing and even mastering. Something stepped for recall. I started with a P&G slide fader into a simple, passive, HP filter section with a 2520/2623-1 post fader amp stage. Once we settled on the HP frequency points, Dan also mentioned how nice it would be to have a LP filter for cleaning the hash from digital electric gtr tracks and so on. Since 500 series faceplate real estate is tight already, I knew I would have to ditch the P&G. We thought something stepped would be great for his mastering friends.

So, I went to work on the circuit and PCB. With the original concept, the rotary fader would be the first thing in the circuit. It’s an Elma 24 position rotary. Nice stuff. I’m using a 1K log taper. Unity is 0 as in my console. 12dB of gain “in hand” with the fader. Since most of the steps are 2dB, I’ve added a 56 series Grayhill for a .5dB stepped trimmer.

Next are the passive filters. I have them set up with the same overall concept as they are in my console. I just gave them selectable frequencies. I also added the first order/second order switch to each. I have a 3 transistor discrete follower between the filters. Very much like is used in the old 550a’s. The 2x6 switches are Grayhill 71 series. Since the Panasonic ECQ’s are gone, Wima was the next choice. Plus, they are relatively easy to get in all the values I need.

The following 2520 stage is the same as in my console. BC/Vishay coupling caps and a 2623-1 to balance the output.

During my layout process, I thought it would be pretty easy to add the line input stage from my console. For those who don’t have an API eq to drive the fader, this will serve a similar purpose. Also, if this module is being fed from a transformerless device, there will be less problems as the fader is of course unbalanced. I was not gonna use a 2623-1 after this stage, but it fits no problem. It provides 6dB of gain as well as some API type goo. I have a jumper to skip it if one wants. The feedback C and R would have to be adjusted to make up that 6dB of gain.

Since the boards haven’t shown yet, I have the Gerber screen shots here.

Here is my faceplate artwork. I am pretty certain this is the final revision. Fader knob is a big 3/4" version. The filter knob inserts are a custom olive green very much like that of an original 550 eq.

I have 95% of the parts on hand to build the proto. The rest are being ordered today. I have 10pc of the L-brackets and faceplates being cut next week.

OK. This is a long enough post. More details on how this can/will work for the console.

Cheers, Jeff

Good news Jeff !

What type of filters your card is based on?, especially LPF.  Can we see this part of schemo you are working on ?

Thanks Jeff, very good news!

Cheers.

DAN_000 said:
...What type of filters your card is based on?, especially LPF.  Can we see this part of schemo you are working on ?
The HP Filter is just an expended version of what's in my console, which is really the same theory as that portion of the band-pass filter from the 550a. The LPF is that way too really. Just an expanded version of the 550a band-pass. abbey-road-runner has some sims that he ran posted in the Drawing Board somewhere.

joe-electro said:
...Slightly OT, but what PCB layout software are you using?
Well, I do all of my tracks, holes and part placements layered, manually in AlphaCAM. It is not fast. I export each layer as a dxf. I send them to a friend who does boards for a living. He uses ARES. It is one of the few that will import a dxf and most importantly, snap to my geometries. He sends me back the Gerbers. I use GC-Prevue to import and carefully check his work. It's free, accurate and shows all the all hole/pad and track properties. This all saves me from buying/learning another software. To be honest, I would still start in my CAD program. One of these days...

Cheers, Jeff

kibadachi said:
...So this will be compatible with the 51x rack?...
Absolutely. Note the "51x Compatible" logo in the silk screen.  ;D

Is there a phase switch possible for the filter?
As of right now, no there is no polarity flip. Over the weekend I though about a little revision. The polarity reverse was one of the things I would have added. That was mostly if I were to use it for the "console" application. After further layout work and pondering, I think there would be a few sacrifices made if this were the "input channel" for the modular console.

That be said, I have been working the last 2 days on the modular metalwork concept. I have completely redesigned my original work from a few months ago.

So, the original full bore 412d must continue... 8)

The new VC528 module will be a stand alone module in its own right. It will probably remain as it is unless something needs some major reworking.

Cheers, Jeff

Latest posts

Back