500 series modular API style console...625CR Control Room Module Done Page 21!!

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
In conjunction with individual pots? Space mostly since I didn't want to do a combo. The original single pot/4-switch array for the echo is a little cumbersome I think. It just never seemed logical to me. That's why I added to individual pots. Maybe it will be a mistake to not have switches.

jsteiger said:
In conjunction with individual pots? Space mostly since I didn't want to do a combo. The original single pot/4-switch array for the echo is a little cumbersome I think. It just never seemed logical to me. That's why I added to individual pots. Maybe it will be a mistake to not have switches.

On our API at the studio we have a couple of sends on pots without switches but the trick is the pots themselves have an off position that you have to "click" past in order to engage the send. There's also an LED that let's you know when the send is active. Might be something worth looking into.

Thanks for the reply guys. I have enough room for them on my strip, and I kinda wanted Jeff's take on it before I added them.

The only thing I was thinking where it would be useful is if you wanted a fast break of signal, retain levels you have set.
Any noise worries? I mean ccw is effectively short to ground, the equiv of 'off', so I dunno.

boji said:
...Any noise worries? I mean ccw is effectively short to ground, the equiv of 'off', so I dunno.
I have not had any noise issues. I have used all Bourns pots and have no leakage problems either. I suppose the future pot leakage would be the main advantage to having a switch. I guess when you have 200-400 or so Cue/Echo pots, it may be easier to make sure they are all fully off with a switch. The LED is a nice touch to for a quick reference...again, if you have the room.

boji said:
What did you have in mind?
The same little relay circuit as I posted on your other thread. I have adapted it to a small plug-in board that I use 2 of on the VP312DI. Just couple the channels input path to ground when muting. The relay circuit works fine on either 12V or 24V, just change out the relays.

Just re-read this thread and gotta say this is probably the most exciting project to happen on these boards.  So far it looks like a really well thought out idea with a lot of care being taken to make it as modular and (hopefully) easy to understand as possible.  Love the 51x standardization for all the modules.  Makes the idea of expanding the lineup of modules a greater possibility.

Can't wait to hear details on master section, metal work, power, how many channels are possible, etc... wahoo!

-Cameron

Thanks for the reply Jeff. I'm a little confused on the reasons for having it, in addition to the (ON) switch. Is it so auxs still see signal?

boji said:
Thanks for the reply Jeff. I'm a little confused on the reasons for having it, in addition to the (ON) switch. Is it so auxs still see signal?
That is the only benefit since any Cues or Echos set to pre-fade would still be active with only the (On) switch. It is surely possible to remove or move one or the other. My small mind is on other projects right now. I would like to give this more dedicated thought for myself before making a concrete decision.

Your response is what I'd hoped, in so much that it could seem a little redundant to have both an (on) and a mute.

Since my Echos will all have on switches, I suppose I'll just run the Channel (on) off a relay, call it 'Mute', and route the Echos before this relay when prefade is selected.
Switching Echos to Postfade, they would mute along with the channel.

If or when you come back to this and give it some more thought, let me know if you think of a better idea. Good luck on your other projects!

btw what's the difference btw an echo and an aux?  ???

boji said:
Good luck on your other projects!
Thanx boji! Everyone 'round here knows what it's like to have too many candles burning at both ends and the middle.  ??? :D

btw what's the difference btw an echo and an aux?  ???
Notta. I just kinda like the old terms like Cue and Echo instead of Send/Aux/Foldback or what have you not.

Call me weird but I also prefer the full Direct Inject over the DI abbreviation.  ;)

There go my savings... *sigh*

I presume that swapping out the trunnys and doa's this could be transformed into a very different sonic flavour? For instance 990s and Lundahls would result in a very clean (uncoloured) sound, and Carnhill with JLM 99V would go kind of Nevey?

Yes, those 8 are the Neve, These here are the APIs and those over there are the 'No-Mojo-just-some-routing-and-gain' channels...

FWIW, I think the routing on the fader module idea is excellent, and would very much like to see that happen!! Also, how easy would it be to bodge an 'overpull' function from P&G faders so that PFL can be triggered from the fader? From the drawings you have up, it looks like a fairly simple hack...

Now to go smash that piggy up...

Mo

I have to disagree with the routing on the fader option.  What happens if you want to put in an fader automation system the requires more control on the fader panel?  Keep the routing module as is I say  :)

You spoil us!!  ;D

Out of interest, looking at your description on the first page it looks like the transformer is optional... ie, the transformer is for the direct out/insert point, and if I was to jumper this out and have the first doa directly drive the fader then I wouldn't need a transformer (but could add one later... Am I barking up the wrong tree here?

Mo

Well, the way it was done in my console is the Direct Out actually comes after the 2nd 2520 which is post fader. That balancing transformer is not shown on the current schematic. I plan to make it optional but it will live on the Subgroup/Bus module. Real estate issues of course.

The tranny you see, balances the Preamp Out. The secondaries are wired in series so it is providing 6db of gain. Technically speaking, in the console, the channel fader is driven by the eq module. The previously mentioned Preamp Out is coupled to the eq in.

If you were to remove that tranny, the 6db should be compensated for. Also, the polarity reverse is done by flipping the primary leads to the shown tranny. This would need to be altered too. It was a few years ago now but I remember trying it with no transformer. There were some issues and I did not like it that way. Actually, that is when I got in touch with Ed Anderson for the very first time. I asked him to do a custom run of (40) 2623-1's for this exact purpose. The rest is history as they say!

So, it is possible, but I would not recommend it myself.

Best, Jeff

Thanks for the advice...

I've just been looking at your site, and thinking on it - at $20/transformer these aren't really gonna be the killer issue here. Not up agains the cost of the 2520s anyway...

I know you're busy with loads of other stuff just now, and Im in no particular rush, but Im just wondering if you have an eta in your head as to when you want these available?

Mo

Back