500 series modular API style console...625CR Control Room Module Done Page 21!!

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi jeff....Nice to see your're achieving the modular proyect. Mayor changes since your first post in first page.
I'm still designing my modular proyect. I'm using ARES software right now, but I need some footprint for my job, to use in the ares proyect. Could you ask your friend if he could send me the file of and the EA 2622 footprint the gar2520 footprint ? Because de hole pads need to be bigger than normal pads. Or if he could tell me what kind of hole pads he is using for the 2520 ?
Thanks. Best Regards
Pedro.

Hi guys,

Time for a serious update on this modular console concept. I would like to get this thread back onto the original track. For now, forget about the VC528 module info I posted. That module is becoming a reality which can be used for a console if one chooses but, it will not be versatile enough for what I originally had and now have in mind. I do have all the boards and parts and will commence on the proto build. I think the VC528 should have it's own thread though.

I went back to my metalwork/layout drawings earlier this week. I went at them with a furious vengeance. I did some redesigning and mechanical engineering of the overall metal work and started again with the basic 8 space bucket. I fine-tuned the interior metal brackets trying to make them as universal as possible. I did the same with the perimeter 1/8" aluminum panels. I am very, very happy with the end results. I think they will be excellent. Most of all, the general construction of the buckets will be as strong as a brick Sh*t-house, if you will. Even so as you add on additional buckets.

As the saying goes, a picture is worth a 1000 words. I will have some nice ones for you soon.

I just sent a zip to my metal shop with 6 different dwg files so they can start producing the first batch of prototype metal. I am assuming by how quick they did the proto metal for the VC528, that I will have these console parts by the end of next week or so.

From the parts I will receive, I am constructing a unit that is 2 buckets wide by 2 buckets tall. So, 32 modules worth.

The other proto assembly will be 1 bucket in height by 3 buckets long. 24 modules in this guy.

These 2 builds will show the overall concept and fit. It will be easy to add on to an assembly. Heck, you could go 10-20-100 buckets wide if you wanted to.  :D ;D  Think "high-end, 500 series erector set"!  8)  I loved those things!

Anyhow, this is just scratching the surface but a damn deep scratch IMHO.

Wish me luck, Jeff

Hey everyone,

It was a busy last week for me at classicapi. After I ordered the proto metalwork for the start of the modular console concept, I felt it was time to get a few PCB backplanes going. After all, they will be needed as part of the assembly.

So, I tightened up the layouts I had done a few months ago for the main GDIY508 backplane. This was logically the best place start I think. I finished all of my dxf layouts Sunday morning. I basically spent the rest of the day emailing back and forth with my board guy who spent most of his afternoon and all of his evening working on my stuff! He is crazy.  :eek:

Anyhow, I ordered two boards of the following a few hours ago. I thought I would share some Gerber views just for fun.

The first board is the main GDIY 508 backplane. It is the 8 space “console” version of Volker’s original 511 PCB. I have incorporated a few things to make it more flexible and easier to work with for a console type build. I am using .156” Molex connectors for most everything. The .1” headers are to connect the optional DB25 daughter board to the main backplane. I have a pretty good plane on both sides of the board. The inside of the rack side is Chassis ground and the backside of the rack side is signal/PSU ground.

Here is a view from the back of the rack. Note the optional markings for the .9”x.9” plug-in relay PCB’s. It’s a reformatting of the circuit I am using on the VP312DI.

Here is a view if looking into the front of the rack.

Simple enough. Next is the DB25 daughter board that mounts to the back of the 508 backplane. Since I reworked the relay board and have changed its mounting to .03” Mill-Max pins and sockets, I can decrease the standoffs between the boards to 1/2". If the full DB25 board is used, the .156” headers are not used, only the .1” board-to-board connectors.

So, here is the view from the back of the rack.

And, a view from the front of the rack.

Now, its time to sit back and see what comes in first…the metalwork…or the PCB’s!  :D :D ;)

Cheers, Jeff

Jeff, you must have been really busy !!!
great concept with well thought features 8)

don't know why there is my name on it, but for sure it is making me proud :eek:
keep on the good work, and if you need a european distributor let me know ;D

Hi,

Wow! what progress in this awesome project! I am waiting with baited breath . . .

Where to get the money . . . . now where did I put that balaclava?

AndyP ;D

Hey Jeff-
I just re-read the bulk of the thread, and one thing I didn't see much about (or I missed due to the large volume of info I was processing) was what your plans are for a center section.  If you have any thoughts on that, I'd be very curious.  I can't wait for further updates on this project!

ledogboy said:
...one thing I didn't see much about (or I missed due to the large volume of info I was processing) was what your plans are for a center section.  If you have any thoughts on that, I'd be very curious...
Without a doubt, the most involved and comprehensive part of the project. This is down the road a ways but here are excerpts from my notes that I have been compiling.

--Subgroup Masters (ACA->level control->325 style booster)
-Level control, preferably fader, worst case pot(real estate?)
-Pgm assign, either left switch & right switch or preferably signal switch with pan-pot
-Solo

--Echo Send Masters (ACA)
-On/Off select
-Level pot

--Stereo Master Cue Module
-Solo
-Source select
  -Pgm L/R, Cue 1/2, Echo 1/2
-Output level control pot

--Mute Group control
-Simple mute/active pushbutton switch for each mute group

--Solo Master
-Level
-LED indication

--Talkback
-XLR mic in (hopefully front panel)
-Level control pot
-Slate to Subgroups (pushbutton)
-Slate to Pgm (pushbutton)
-T/B to Master Cue (pushbutton)
-T/B to All (pushbutton)

--Control Room Module
-C/R Level, big ass knob, stepped switch (or pot)
-Dim pushbutton & dim level pot
-C/R cut pushbutton
-Monitor select
  -Big
  -Small, with level pot
  -Mono
-C/R Source Select (4 options)
  -Pgm (2-Mix)
  -2 track A
  -2 track B
  -2 track C

--Pgm 2-Mix stereo fader (2-ACA-Bo circuit)

Of course this is all preliminary but the goal so far. Not everything would be required but will probably have a dedicated spot on the center section motherboard for the above. It will probably be broken into 2 motherboards which will take up (2)-8 space 400 series buckets. The 400 series faceplate is the same as the 500 but the PCB will be nearly 1” less deep at 5”. That will match the depth of the main Input Module, Subgroup/Echo module and dual Echo Return module.

I have a new input module I am working on that will be fully inclusive. Meaning that it will have a level control pot (can be internally jumpered to use a separate fader), 2 Cue sends, 2 Echo sends, panpot, 2-Subgroup assigns, Pgm assign, vintage style HP filters, solo, on & polarity. The Cue and Echo’s each have a pre/post fader select switch plus each send is on it’s own pushbutton to activate it. All of this stuff in a single 500 series sized module. My goal is to have as many features as possible in this one module, so this one module is all that is needed to make this console functional. A full throw fader can be used but not required. Also, I have an additional Subgroup/Echo send module that can be added which will give 6 more Echo sends and 10 additional Subgroups and an optional balanced direct out.

I have been busy on this!

Cheers, Jeff

I didn't see any notes there about full automation and recall  ;D

But seriously, you're really outdoing yourself here!  Just amazing, Jeff.

horvitz said:
I didn't see any notes there about full automation and recall  ;D

But seriously, you're really outdoing yourself here!  Just amazing, Jeff.
Well, I do have plans to talk to Paul about the possibility of incorporating his Shadow Mix Automation system. So you never know do you!  :D

jsteiger said:
Well, I do have plans to talk to Paul about the possibility of incorporating his Shadow Mix Automation system. So you never know do you!  :D

I get a little giddy just thinking about such a thing!  Well, giddy and afraid for my wallet.  Could be very interesting, though!

I have just sketched out a dual input module. I should be packing orders but I couldn't help myself. Basically what I would call and Echo Return module. Same 500 series sized faceplate, 400 series deep PCB. It will have 2 identical discrete input channels on it. This module will be pin compatible with the main input module so they can be intermixed within the same bucket. This module will have level pot, pan-pot, pan pushbutton switch(for bus signal), 2-mix assign pushbutton switch, solo pushbutton switch, channel on pushbutton switch, subgroup 1 assign sub-mini-toggle and subgroup 2 assign sub-mini-toggle. In addition, each channel will have an dual concentric pot for 2 aux sends. There will be a pushbutton switch for aux 1 on, aux 2 on and pre/post. I am calling these "aux sends" as I will have an internal jumper for each channel so that the sends can be routed to Echo 1-2 bus or Cue 1-2 bus. I will set it up so that the top channel can be routed to the option Echo/Subgroup module in the bucket above. I think a jumper to use an outboard fader in place of the on board level pot will be also included. Since the P&G faders are so narrow, 2 can fit in a 1.5" wide faceplate.

All this would mean that 16 discrete channels will fit in a 12" wide 8-space rack. Each would have 2 aux sends and essentially 4 bus subgroups with the easy add-on optional full throw fader.

Maybe we call it the 8200 killer?  :D

Best, Jeff

Yowsa Jeff-
This thing gets more incredible all of the time- thanks for the detailed reply re: center section.  I'll be anxiously keeping an eye on your updates!

Back