My GSSL - finally finished

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

[silent:arts]

I'm slow in DIY, but finally I finished one (three, exactly):
GSSL_Front.jpg

GSSL_Back.jpg

Still needed are the M2 screws for the ground lift switches, and the engraved "IN" buttons for the switches. Ground is according to AES 48-2005 pin1 to chassis.

Thanks to Jakob for this project, Gustav for the PCBs, and all the other members on this great forum.

I did some small, but useful modifications I can recommend:
GSSL_PCB.jpg

Exchange the 15k/27k resistor to a 50k trim-pot for adjusting unity gain.
Add a 50k trim pot in series to the 100k resistor for ratio adjustment.
A 5k trim pot is used for meter callibration.

I have also changed the 50k threshold pot to a 25k one, connected with a 24k9 resistor to the negative voltage. Better threshold range with this for me.

Tomorrow I will do some measuring at work, in the evening we will have some listening tests with a gold / platinum records owner mastering engineer.

Thanks again to all :thumb:

wow...

that really looks professional...

I also used panasonic fc caps at the input and output stages... ;)

is that a grey anodized aluminium panel, or is it powder coated/painted...??

mat

[quote author="radiance"]
What's this "thrust" filter thingy?
[/quote]

It is probably a High pass filter in the sidechain like in the API2500 comp.

WOW! Very nice work SilentArts. :thumb:

chrissugar

[quote author="Michael Krusch"]
The knobs are a little bit GML-like. Looks good.
The meter fits perfect. What type is it? Sifam?[/quote]
thanks Michael. the GML look is an accident ...
the only knobs I could find for 6mm and 6,25mm shafts.
the meter is Sifam (Presentor 19), and if anybody has an idea how to illuminate this meter with B style panel - let me know ...

[quote author="radiance"]
What's this "thrust" filter thingy?
Also, where do they engrave these EAO switches? Is it @ EAO?[/quote]
A*P*I 2500 THRUST. sounds great, but is covered under patent number 5,170,437 :cool:
yes, the switches are EAO, engraving is done by my friends of KID broadcast (like the whole case)

[quote author="Greg"]
Are the guts on the three the same? ie same lytics? same polys? etc[/quote]
same polys, but different lytics: conrad no name, nichicon and panasonic FC. We will hear...

[quote author="matthias"]
is that a grey anodized aluminium panel, or is it powder coated/painted...?? [/quote]
powder coated [advertise on](see KID broadcast)[advertise off]
:green:

the GML look is an accident ...

GREAT JOB !

I need to know, where you got these GML looking knobs !!!

Tell meeee.... please.... :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

[quote author="JayDee"]I need to know, where you got these GML looking knobs !!![/quote]
ELMA - not cheap, but with different shaft diameters.
Farnell: 320365 (they have no marking!!! ? I?m searching for the marked ones at the moment), 320559, you will find your colour searching for "elma cap".

Great GSSLs

cool thrust feature thingy

couple comments on Kid Broadcast. the look lke they do really nice work. but their logo.. (hmm looks a bit familiar and well known......... :wink: ) and the joystick .. well that name says it all.... "for the 'superball'" looks a bit over zealous

Those look awesome! Actually this looks more ADR than GML to me. I really like them. Wow. I need to make more preamps but these GSSL's keep haunting me. :green:

[quote author="[silent:arts]"]same polys, but different lytics: conrad no name, nichicon and panasonic FC. We will hear...[/quote]

I have two and in one I have FCs and the other UPW. They have a noticable difference. I prefer the Nichicon, but the FC is still useful at times.

is that "thrust-circuit" something more, than just a hipassfilter in the sidechain??
Interesting idea that thrust circuit !

But on to the question: no, it's a kind of 'tilt'-filter, realizing a half-order slope across the complete audio-band. So a 10dB/dec slope, rising with frequency. There's a link somewhere to the patent (US5,170,437).

Just wondering SilentArts, why did you label the thrust-activation-switch 'loud' ? Is that the effect ? From the patent I get the impression it makes things more balanced, natural, so not an 'all buttons pressed' kind of influence ?

BTW/FWIW, I put the little filter circuit from the patent in the simulator and saw it doesn't change the AC-transfer much when those 'odd'-values are changed to the nearest E-something value. Difference between the two is less than 0.5dB so that's fine.
I guess those rounded values are also what you're using since I don't see all kinds of parallel & series constructions on your PCB-pic.

Regards,

Peter

i can't see the pictures in the patent! i just get the little block on the corner of the picture and nothing else! i wanna build this circuit! anyone have a schemo?

it said i needed quicktime, so i downloaded it and it still won't show. i tried firefux, Internet exploder and nutscrape.. ?? i'll see about a stand alone tiff reader but i've never had trouble before..???

Back