My GSSL - finally finished

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Using InterneTIFF here.
Must say those documents are a bit of a hassle - all pages separated.
There'll be a reason for it, but a single downloadable pdf for instance would have been much easier... and we would already have been discussing the circuit & uses i.s.o. this software-hassle :wink:

[quote author="clintrubber"]Just wondering SilentArts, why did you label the thrust-activation-switch 'loud' ?[/quote]
I just called it "loud" without thinking because of the A*P*I 2500.

This is the schamtic I used:
[removed]

Thanks for the info & schematic - not really a surprise I rounded off to the same values you already had in your unit :wink:

How would you describe the influence on the sound with/without this filter ?

BTW/FWIW, long ago there was a circuit for a 'tilt'-control in EW+WW-mag, kind of rotating the transfer around a common point, say 1kHz. Can't remember how that circuit exactly went, but it wasn't much more than one or two opamps, a pot and some R's & C's. It probably could be used to control the amount of 'thrustyness'...

Regards,

Peter

[quote author="clintrubber"]How would you describe the influence on the sound with/without this filter ?[/quote]
Will tell you after the weekend - the studio date changed, but we will have some more time to test :thumb:

Today I have done some measuring:
(using Neutrik A2D, input impedance = 100K, output impedance 15R, GSSL switched IN but no gain reduction @ unity gain, max out measured with 15 dB gain)

Max. Input: +22 dBu balanced < 1% THD
Max. Output: +28 dBu balanced < 1% THD

Frequency Response: 10Hz to 20kHz <+0 -0.5 dB. -0.5 dB is ca 30kHz, -3 dB ca 75kHz

THD+N: even with the THAT2159 VCAs I can callibrate the units to < 0.009% @ +6 dBu 20Hz ? 20kHz

Noise: < 80 dBq (right channel 2.5 dB better) 20Hz to 20kHz
Dynamic Range: 108 dB referenced to +28 dBu, 20Hz to 20kHz

Crosstalk: < 73 dB @ +6 dBu 20Hz ? 20kHz

Pflichtenheftkompatibel !!!
:thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

[quote author="Michael Krusch"]So, weekend is over now. How does it sound? :grin:[/quote]

how does it sound :?: killer :green:
haven't been in the mastering studio because I was called Friday doing a remix until Sunday, so I can only tell you my own experience with it.

in the remix I had 3 to 5 different drum loops running together all the time, sounding like that. I put a GSSL on the loop bus, compressing about 8 - 12 dB at 4:1. great - now the loops sounded like from one source, punchy but round. the different sounding kicks became ONE when playing together, without any EQ or anything, just the GSSL :thumb:. HiHats and Percussion went more to the back in the Mix compressed this hard, so I turned on this little THRUST filter: unbelievably, they came back. I did the whole track with no EQs on the drum loops, and it sounded like it was one big punchy loop instead of 5 different.

I'm not good describing sound, but I'm totally happy with the GSSL - and the THRUST modification, I even wouldn't trade it for an XLogic compressor I have worked with before.

now I need some other dynamic DIY ... :green:

thanks for the schemo, going to be working on some PCBs shortly.. however it's still too early to think here... and I'm not understanding the hookup i think.. the schemo has two sections with connectors.. where do they go?

:green:

[quote author="Svart"]the schemo has two sections with connectors.. where do they go?[/quote]
they go to a switch. PL1-1 to PL1-2 is Filter out, PL1-3 to PL1-2 is filter in.
PL2-3 and PL2-4 are connected instead of the 47K resistors on the main PCB (red and orange wire on the picture), PL2-5 is the yellow wire. the brown (PL2-2) and the black (PL2-1) wires are +/-15V. ground is taken through the sockets I placed in instead of the transformer.

ok so pl2-3 and pl2-4 go where the 47k summing on the PCB would be, do they replace or simply parallel? the power pins i got. the rest is kinda not making sense!

i think i better get some coffee and some breakfast because for some reason i'm still confused!

:oops:

sorry!

EDIT: I'm starting to do a PCB forthis, would people like through hole or SMD for this? SMD could be a TINY board.. which is always a good thing i think..

[quote author="Svart"]ok so pl2-3 and pl2-4 go where the 47k summing on the PCB would be, do they replace or simply parallel? the power pins i got. the rest is kinda not making sense![/quote]
replace, look at the foto

[quote author="[silent:arts]"][quote author="Michael Krusch"]So, weekend is over now. How does it sound? :grin:[/quote]

how does it sound :?: killer :green:
[/quote]

So I think I need this little filter. :grin:
The what compressor is equiped with a simular filter and if you put it on a drum loop it will sound much more open in the stereo field. Nothing I can do with any other compressor.
But the what compressor is a little bit slow for drums, so I have to make a version with attack and release controls.

The featurelist for my next Gssl is growing and growing....
:grin:
I found some very nice oldschool meters which are biiiiggg. I will have to use a 3HE case. This means there´s a lot of space wanting to be filled with frigglefraggle funny electronic features.

silent:arts, your description sounds really interesting :thumb:

:sam:
Jens

oh oh oh, ok i got it now. sorry, i had to get something to eat and clear my head a bit. when you said "filter out" i wasn't understanding that it was still an active circuit just buffering instead of being switched out completely!

sorry!

I'll have some PCBs drawn up shortly.

Latest posts

Back