2254C: Classic. Class A. Simple and bold. Collecting the orders.

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Igor

Hi to all!
After making some 33609's and 2254/33609 hybrids,
I decided to make a simplified version....
2254C
This is 2254 soundpath with 33609's compressor's sidechain,
switchable high-pass filter added to sidechain, and
BA183 re-layed on motherboard.
5 units can be linked in surround btw...
No limiter sidechain... I used it some times on drums,
but mostly limiter was off when me or other tech's used
2254/33609 hybrids.
More important thing instead limiter (on my bad taste) is sidechain HPF.

I finnished to work on motherboard PCB and working now on
front-pannel PCB's and design.

All switches are Lorlin...just to save some bucks on Elma's.
-------------------------------------
Updated:
Here's front pannel design made by Purusha.

2254C.jpg

Support thread:

http://www.groupdiy.com/index.php?topic=32605.0

Cases:

http://www.groupdiy.com/index.php?topic=32647.0
Same as on 33609's, 3 types of trunny's can be used.

VU's.
For 1RU, we sticked with Sifam AL-19. It fits in 45mm height.
For 2RU (stereo version), I going to use ST7
from Farnell..
http://uk.farnell.com/7758200/electrical-circuit-protection/product.us0?sku=anders-electronics-st7&_requestid=232843
then make other backlighted scale (like in 33609) or....
http://www.groupdiy.com/index.php?topic=29123
(with linear option for GR metering).

Then....

Just to say, something to add? Change?
People?
Updated:
Now, there's nothing to add to design, it offered as kit, thanx to your feedback!
:)
Here's the ordering thread:
http://www.groupdiy.com/index.php?topic=29771.0
:grin:  :razz:  :shock:  :roll:  :wink:  :cool:

Igor..... You are a very, very, very sick man....... in a really good way, that is.
:green:

I was kind of scared of the 33609 project, but may be interested in this one. Specially on the single rack space one.
What are you using for linking units on the single rack unit?

take care
Gil

Igor,

You are a VERY VERY scary man! It looks beautiful... I was cutting back on my DIY and said no more... but ow can I resist! I want a 1U one... let me know if you need anyone to build it up or have prototypes, I'd be on it!

The High pass is a nice addition! Again, just BEAUTIFUL!

I'm pretty sure Purusha would make some killer cases as well :cool:

That will even out my Compressor collection just fine and then I REALLY am done with DIY for ALONG time!!! Hah Hah.

Cheers

Matt

Igor, you rock!!
:thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

M.

How many transformers will the single unit need? 3? I assume if you go Neve style it is 1 x 31267 and LO1166A, but what is the other one an are only 3 needed?

Cheers

Matt

Trunny's are:
-line (31267 or substitute) qty1
-mic (10468 or substitute) qty1
-gaped output trunny (1066 or sub') qty1.

[quote author="Igor"]Trunny's are:
-gaped output trunny (1066 or sub') qty1.[/quote]

Thanks Igor! I assumed as much RE the other 2, but why a mic input?

I know that the B183/283 is capable of about 40-55dB's of Gain but with the MIC pre tranny does it get used AS a mic pre AND compressor?

I've used 2254's on a console before but don't remember using them at PRE level, coming out POST the AUX/FADER modules on an 80 series console and in most cases I would think it would be used as such... have you used it at MIC Pre levels in your experience?

Thanks again for what looks to be a GREAT project, I can't wait!

Cheers

Matt

[quote author="matta"][quote author="Igor"]Trunny's are:

I know that the B183/283 is capable of about 40-55dB's of Gain but with the MIC pre tranny does it get used AS a mic pre AND compressor?
[/quote]

Hey Matt,

take a look at a 33609 schemo and all will be revealed! The mic transformer is used in the line input signal chain as a step up. Here's a brief run down of what happens

1) Signal enters and is dropped 6dB by using a 31267 wired for 2:1
2) The signal passes through a line pad to drop it a further 25dB. The signal must be padded because the diode bridge cannot handle high levels.
3) After the diode bridge the signal goes through a transistor buffer and onto a 10468 in 1:2 and is stepped back up by 6dB.
4) After this the signal is amplified back up to line level by a BA183 card providing back the missing 25dB plus the makeup gain needed to account for compression.

The 33609 manual used to be available on the Neve site, if not send me aa email to ruairioflaherty ((at)) eircom **dot** net and I'll send it on to you.

Cheers,
Ruairi

[quote author="matta"][quote author="Igor"]Trunny's are:

[/quote]

Hey Matt,

take a look at a 33609 schemo and all will be revealed! The mic transformer is used in the line input signal chain as a step up. Here's a brief run down of what happens

2) The signal passes through a line pad to drop it a further 25dB. The signal must be padded because the diode bridge cannot handle high levels.
3) After the diode bridge the signal goes through a transistor buffer and onto a 10468 in 1:2 and is stepped back up by 6dB.
4) After this the signal is amplified back up to line level by a BA183 card providing back the missing 25dB plus the makeup gain needed to account for compression.

The 33609 manual used to be available on the Neve site, if not send me aa email to ruairioflaherty ((at)) eircom **dot** net and I'll send it on to you.

Cheers,
Ruairi

[quote author="ruairioflaherty"]
Hey Matt,

Cheers,
Ruairi[/quote]

Hey Ruari,

Thanks man! I spent about 2 hours yesterday looking for the 2254 schemo, found a very illegible one over @ Dan Alexanders place... funnily it shows and 10467... not 48, which I've not seen/heard of before.

I wouldn't mind getting a copy of the 33609, tried finding it on the Neve site in the link linked from the 33609 thread but the link is bad. I will mail you later for it.

Thanks for quick overview of the operation, seems very cool and can't wait to build one of these new C versions of Igor's, will help having the B183/B283 on board and I'm down with Lorlins... ELMA's, though great, tend to break the bank, LOL.

Cheers

Matt

EDIT: Thanks Kazper, I'll grab it when I get home.... someone might want to update the link in the 33609 thread to point to the new location.

Matta,

Lots of 2254 info on a build thread for it here using the STO pcb's (original style N-pcb's) Igor is taking some of the wiring and other problems out by making a hybrid setup here.

http://www.groupdiy.com/index.php?topic=29256&highlight=2254

I've asked someone to look into the 10467 that may be able to get info on that p/n.

There is some confusion in regards to that 10467, as on one schematic for the BA185 it's marked as a 10468. Ruairioflaherty pointed this out and a 10468 on the 2254A schematic also in the PP thread link I posted.

The 33609 manual is still on the site.. just look under Outboard classics.

Which Sowters? Please gimmie link with pinout/dimensions...it is not too late to add them to pcb, if possible.
I did layout for Carenhills/StIves, OEP and Beclaire's...

[quote author="Igor"]Which Sowters? Please gimmie link with pinout/dimensions...it is not too late to add them to pcb, if possible.
I did layout for Carenhills/StIves, OEP and Beclaire's...[/quote]

Hi Igor,

With the single channel unit will the Carnhill transformer lie horizontally? I don't have one with me now, but just wondering if they are not too tall vertically to fit into a 1U rack?

Cheers

Matt

Good point Matt!

Igor I think these will do you, I can look up the values for you later if you like, busy now:

Sowter 9145 P/N 10468 - Can size 'e', PCB mount is style C in the lookup table.

Sowter 9165 P/N 31267 - Can size 'e', PCB mount style C

http://www.sowter.co.uk/mech.php

Sowter Gapped Output Transformer P/N LO1166 - U-bracket 'OB'
Sowter Gapped Output Transformer (Smaller size) - U-bracket 'OA'

http://www.sowter.co.uk/styleo.htm

-Tom

With the single channel unit will the Carnhill transformer lie horizontally? I don't have one with me now, but just wondering if they are not too tall vertically to fit into a 1U rack?
Carenhills are 38mm min height...we have 40mm inside rack...
Add 1.6mm PCB and some mm down the pcb to avoid shorts to case.
So, right answer-no :)
Only way to mount Carnhill's or StIves in 1RU is to lay them down
on isolation pcb's and hookup with wires. As in 33609.
See this tread:
http://www.groupdiy.com/index.php?topic=26218&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=345
(thanx to promixe for photo).

Regarding Sowters....will see what is possible.

Latest posts

Back