34mm dual diaphragm capsule dissection

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
David thank you for the post. I was wondering what china stuff was used for that capsule.

You saved me from buying one myself.

Is this capsule design the same as some of the Rode capsules? k67 type backplates with a too high tuned skin because of no center trem?

Are the JP capsules membranes glued to the rings or are they but together like most of the china stuff?

[quote author="dbock"]
Where did you get this information?
-Scott
Purchasing one on his eternal eb*y auction and taking it apart.[/quote]

:green: :green: :green:

Good info. Thanks.

I ordered a Blue Kiwi mic capsule (B6 type) last week to try out in my ela m251 diy mic. I'll post the results when I compare the Peluso to the Blue.

The thing that cracks me up is that it shouldn't be very hard for these Chinese companies to correctly copy one of these capsules using their CNC machines. While it's true that the old, brass CK12 that had a lot of small parts, they should still be able to make something that is close.

[quote author="dbock"]the Peluso "CK12" has the same dual k67 backplate construction.[/quote]

Hmmm... Isn't that exactly what this one is? A "CK12" clone, with K67 backplates?

Peace,
Al.

[quote author="alk509"][quote author="dbock"]the Peluso "CK12" has the same dual k67 backplate construction.[/quote]

Hmmm... Isn't that exactly what this one is? A "CK12" clone, with K67 backplates?

Peace,
Al.[/quote]

Here's part of an article by Stephen Paul regarding the CK12 capsule that might be of interest:

http://mixguides.com/microphones/vintage_products/audio_vintage_microphones_part_3/

Here are some pictures scanned from my copies of Stephen Paul's original article's in Mix magazine.

The K67 backplate:
k67_backplates.jpg

The CK12 backplate:
ck12_backplates.jpg

You can see here that these are different animals.

Scott

The hamptome link has a few interesting things in it about the JP capsules.

the part about Peluso suspecting the CEK12 capsule was bad and sending a replacement(low output) I have talked to a few people that bought JP capsules and they had problems with the capsules they bought.

The capsule being bigger in size will change the sound due to some time delay changes

Once you hear a real ck12 style capsule (with good electronics and grill, I have a MBHO ck12 type) and look at how it is built you will understand why they are not cheap.

I have never had any trouble with Peluso capsules and, my admittedly limited circle of friends hasn't either. They are not exact copies or supposed to be manufacturer's replacements for original product. They are similar. They are advertised as AKG or Neuman STYLE capsules that he uses in his own products. That's it. Nothing more, nothing less. They are also inexpensive enough to use for DIY, and give a respectable result for the money. Many of us in this forum have used them in Jakob's G7 project with very good results. I know I have. Aside from finding it problematic that a single capsule was defective, I find it encouraging that it was replaced so easily. I know many companies are nearly impossible to get defects replaced.

It is really disconcerting to me that several folks are so opposed to the Peluso capsules and seem to find any nuance to hurl detractors. I find no other place in our forum that does this. Well, that's not true. A number of people are rabid about Mackie and Berenger products but I don't know anyone with those so I can't comment from experience.

So, if you don't like a capsule, don't buy it. If you have tested a product, or have direct knowledge of some specifics about it, by all means post it so others may reap the benefits of your knowledge. I only ask that you quit damning things through unfounded inuendo. It's unseemly and doesn't follow what this forum is about.

Thanks for listening.

There really seems to be too much unfounded crap flying Peluso's way... Has anyone here actually compared the sonic properties of Peluso's edge-terminated 34mm with, say, a 797 equivalent (Bear-dinger B2?), or an original CK12? It would be great to actually be able to hear these capsules side by side...

Peace,
Al.

Hi Thomas,
You make some good points. If a Peluso capsule works for some people's purposes, then, great, use it by all means. I didn't mean to imply that his capsules were bad, or that they sounded bad. When I ordered from him he was prompt to ship, and he is quick to answer e-mails (good customer support!).
My point was just to show that a real AKG CK12 capsule is not made by putting two K67 backplates back to back. The AKG backplate design is completely different.
Also, Peluso chose the name CEK-12, I'm assuming, so that people would make the association that it is similar to the AKG CK12. While the Peluso capsule is edge terminated in the style of AKG, the backplate design is very different, so to call it AKG-style is a bit of a stretch.
Maybe Peluso can comment....
Regards,
Scott

[quote author="scott_humphrey"]My point was just to show that a real AKG CK12 capsule is not made by putting two K67 backplates back to back[/quote]

OK, OK, hang on a second... I never said that. All I said was that Peluso's supposedly cloned CK12, which according to dbock uses K67-like backplates, is similar to the Alctron capsule I dissected...

Peace,
Al.

OK, OK, hang on a second... I never said that. All I said was that Peluso's supposedly cloned CK12, which according to dbock uses K67-like backplates, is similar to the Alctron capsule I dissected...

Peace,
Al.

Cool. Thanks for clarifying. Sorry to misquote you. :oops:

He does say 'AKG Style' which can mean as little as edge terminated. I don't think he ever claims that the capsule is a clone of the original CK12 like Tony Fishman's capsules are. The original CK12 capsules are very finicky to set up from my experience - mine still doesn't work quite right. It sounds ok in cardioid mode, but in omni or figure-8, the matching doesn't work.

Back