Another G9 is born!

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

riggler

Hey all.

Thanks to Jakob, Kev, Skylar, Matt, zhp, and Scott R. & Greg H. for making this project possible and taking me to school. I had a great time building her. :thumb:

Lundahl in and out. JJ ECC82's. Laser engraved front and rear panels. (I got lucky have access to a laser engraver.)

I'll recommend to anyone doing this project to do the cut-the-trace mod for the gain pots and use shielded cable for mic in / line out cables throughout. Doing that, and keeping my transformers far away resulted in a very LOW noise floor with NO HUM!! We're talking -70dB here and lower at 50% gain settings. You really do need to move the transformers around. I ended putting them at right angles as depicted.

NOISE:

Full Gain & Output: -58dBFS
50% Gain & 75% Output: -72dBFS

Well, here's links to a sound clip of my dad on his banjo. He's rusty but illustrates just how 3d this thing sounds. Stereo pair of modded MXL 603s mics -> G9 at medium gain -> Digi HD192 -> No plugs but dither and rendered.

Hopefully all my links will work...
The first is the audio sample.

http://home.ptd.net/~bbojko/G9/Righi_G9_Test_1_48kHz_Dither_16_bit.wav
Righi_G9_0181.JPG

Righi_G9_0182.JPG

Righi_G9_0185.JPG

Righi_G9_0192.JPG

Very nice build!
Looks clean and sounds cool too!
What kind of connectors did you used from main board to switch board?
looks very professional.

I used the Molex SL connectors on Skylars parts list. Making the jumpers was a pain, but worth it. What I should have done is not used any connectors on the daughterboards though. Not really necessary there.

Thanks for the feedback! So far, I have no low end problems like others have mentioned. Will try this as a bass DI soon.

Hey Riggler,

Well done :thumb: She/He looks great. RE the low end, it all relative in the end I think, and totally depends on the source and sound you are going for. Happy micing!

Matt

dude, radio shack knobs rule!!! i buy most of mine there...they are affordable and great looking, you can get those connectors there too.

And front panel LEDs with built-in resistors, and I found a TON of parts for the GSSL at Radio Shack. Namely diodes, caps, some resistors. They seem to be re-stocking some of their components now, which is really cool! :cool:

[quote author="riggler"]...Thanks to Jakob, Kev, Skylar, Matt, zhp, and Scott R. & Greg H. for making this project possible and taking me to school. I had a great time building her. :thumb:[/quote]
you are very welcome

and I'd like to thank Jakob
for just being Jakob

cheers friend

I really want to say mate but that that's a strine thing
and some around the world might get the wrong idea :oops:

it's all good
:thumb:
ok I'll say it

we love your DIY

Latest posts

Back