boxes

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Okay, I'm totally unqualified to even comment on the subject (as is true of most subjects here), but bouncing some ideas off of my colleague (i.e. I asked ChatGPT) and poly foam seems an intriguing option. It's super cheap, obviously not prone to shed, is breathable and moisture resistant, and best of all is dirt cheap. Conversely it's ugly and non-durable :/

Edited to add:
Maybe poly + fabric ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Edited one last time to add:
That seems to be exactly what automotive headliner is and it is readily available and cheap.

Final edit:
And beer coozies. You could literally just put a beer coozy on a mic. Or the bud poucn mentioned below, based on your preferred relaxants ;)

Last edited:
I didnt trawl the full way through all the previous comments , but a double zip lock sealed mylar bud bag might be a perfect off the shelf option to store a condenser mic within its box to minimise any chance of moisture, likewise for shipment of capsules

I find the Shure zipped pouch in conjunction with a close fitting box enough to keep atmospherics out

Reusable silica gel packages included in the shipment makes lots of sense ,

Yep, I already ship mics and other stuff I make in zip or impulse sealed mylar bags with silica gel packets, that's a given (for me, at least). The question here is more what to do with them after that. Mylar + desiccant is always the best option, but it's hard to implement in a cover that goes upside-down and you have to remember to re-bake them

Last edited:
I use round wooden boxes as mic covers/dust hats. They don't really fit and look a bit silly because of that. But no fiber shedding, and since they only cover the upper part of the grill moisture retention isn't a problem. Would love to have some that actually fit eventually, but it's a DIY project with fairly low priority atm.

Attachments

• 2023-09-20 10.21.32.jpg
    2023-09-20 10.21.32.jpg
    304 KB · Views: 0
Its often convienient at the start of a session to have lots of mics ready to try ,
I often slip a mic wallet over , vinyl has textile backing , that may be prone to shed after a few years ,

A drawstring coin pouch or medicine bag might be another possibillity , with a non shed lining and a pocket to place the silica in , it doubles as safe storage inside the box during transport .
In a tube mic the internally generated heat might be enough to drive off any moisture from the silica while the mic is powered with the cover on .

I recently made up an air tight tubular case for a low D whistle , standard domestic white PVC pipe cut to lenght , a blanking cap at one end and a threaded inspection cover at the far side ,
its very suitable to pencil mics or even narrow body LDC mics like the AKG using standard kitchen/bathroom fittings from the plumbing supplies ,its a tough durable material and a standard pipe cutter gives perfect results , care might need to be taken in the choice of adhesive to bond the pipe and fittings , with usual adhesive from the plumb shop smells tended to hang around a bit inside the sealed case .

Felt might be a useful non shedding material to try as a lining ,
I used a circle of thick leather at either end of the tube ,slightly wider than the diameter so it formed a bump stop against shocks and impacts ,it worked well , in the case of a mic that weighs several hundred grams another way of supporting it would need to be thought up .

Last edited:
Ari, one thing I haven't seen mentioned, maybe its worth to consider, now with 3U SD capsules available, to stock compatible SD body shells too?

One further idea, make some lolipop adapter for LD capsules, even if they would run at lower voltage in km84 circuit. Kind of like the oktava mk103, 104 etc heads for the 012. Ok stop me im dreaming now... 🤣😂. But these bodies could be used for other proyects too, like Jules' opa alice for SD..?

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back