boxes

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
+1 for nice C12 style boxes please
OK, that will be next after the syt-5 I think.

Man, I interviewed over 30 woodworkers in the Midwest to find the perfect person to make microphone boxes. I've been doing a lot of work finding reliable suppliers for accessories, packaging, metalwork, fabrication, etc here and in Europe and and in other countries to give a wide spread of options for my own company. I've also established way more direct relationships with factories overseas than I have before, no longer doing business through other companies etc. I want to personally oversee design on everything I sell, both retail and B2B. On the B2B side, it would be cool to be a trading company where people could tell me what they want and I could figure it out and provide a solution myself. A company like ShuaiYin, but for the west. First I need to establish the quality of this stuff through my retail products though, then I can think more about it.

Wooden whiskey presentation boxes are perfect for LDC microphones , Ive collected a few ,but I must search out a few more . Its easy to pad them out with foam and line it with crushed velvet .

I might try approaching the local distillery to see if they have a few boxes that are shop soiled/damaged ,probably easy enough to fix up .

I work in the field so need to store lots of options safely together in a couple of small rolling cases. I'd love to see a commercially available tool roll-up pouch (like your Wiha screwdrivers come in) made of protective foam / neoprene (or nylon like the Domke protective wraps) made to fit various SDC mics and capsules like KM84 and CMCs.

OK, that will be next after the syt-5 I think.

Man, I interviewed over 30 woodworkers in the Midwest to find the perfect person to make microphone boxes. I've been doing a lot of work finding reliable suppliers for accessories, packaging, metalwork, fabrication, etc here and in Europe and and in other countries to give a wide spread of options for my own company. I've also established way more direct relationships with factories overseas than I have before, no longer doing business through other companies etc. I want to personally oversee design on everything I sell, both retail and B2B. On the B2B side, it would be cool to be a trading company where people could tell me what they want and I could figure it out and provide a solution myself. A company like ShuaiYin, but for the west. First I need to establish the quality of this stuff through my retail products though, then I can think more about it.
Just wanted to say thanks - this is a huge endeavor, and one that is greatly appreciated by the DIY community (especially in the US)!

I work in the field so need to store lots of options safely together in a couple of small rolling cases. I'd love to see a commercially available tool roll-up pouch (like your Wiha screwdrivers come in) made of protective foam / neoprene (or nylon like the Domke protective wraps) made to fit various SDC mics and capsules like KM84 and CMCs.
This isn't already a product? You would think for field recorders this would be a no-brainer. I didn't think of something like this because I was sure someone had already done it. Yeah, this is definitely possible

This isn't already a product? You would think for field recorders this would be a no-brainer. I didn't think of something like this because I was sure someone had already done it. Yeah, this is definitely possible
I know... There are some fancy pants semi-hard zipper cases out there, and the Domke wraps that I've been using. But I don't like sized cases that take up more space even when they're empty. Plus a roll-up could have little sleeves for extra capsules, different sized mics... I sew my own sound bag and realize how easy this would be to make, but I've been hoping someone more careful will do a nice commercial product. Maybe in chartreuse velvet with grey trim and an AA logo on it?

Another easy one would be dust-cover bags for mics left on stands. I know a lot of studios just use old Crown Royal bags, but it seems like it would be easy to make/source something a little classier.
already done. 100% linen so it lets all the moisture out but also keeps the dust off. i'll put them on the new site

already done. 100% linen so it lets all the moisture out but also keeps the dust off. i'll put them on the new site
Linen sheds fibers, and usually quite a bit.

That synthetic stuff that AEA uses and that AKG used to use works OK. Not as well as just using a plastic bag though.

Linen sheds fibers, and usually quite a bit.

That synthetic stuff that AEA uses and that AKG used to use works OK. Not as well as just using a plastic bag though.
I did check these for that, and they seem stable as long as they aren't washed too many times. What wouldn't shed fibers? I would prefer not to use a plastic bag as it keeps the moisture on the capsule in. Though, I suppose it could have a desiccant.

edit:
apparently among the nonsynthetic fabrics only silk has this property because of its protein composition being a natural polyamide, and at that point, why not just use nylon or, as you said, a plastic bag.

Last edited:
Another easy one would be dust-cover bags for mics left on stands. I know a lot of studios just use old Crown Royal bags, but it seems like it would be easy to make/source something a little classier.
Yes yes yes!! I would love this.

I "borrowed" these for my C12s from some less-expensive mics after I couldn't find this product on the market.

IMG_5882.JPG

Yes yes yes!! I would love this.

I "borrowed" these for my C12s from some less-expensive mics after I couldn't find this product on the market.

View attachment 114716
I did check these for that, and they seem stable as long as they aren't washed too many times. What wouldn't shed fibers? I would prefer not to use a plastic bag as it keeps the moisture on the capsule in. Though, I suppose it could have a desiccant.

edit:
apparently among the nonsynthetic fabrics only silk has this property because of its protein composition being a natural polyamide, and at that point, why not just use nylon or, as you said, a plastic bag.
I’ve cleaned red fibers from shure mic bags off of capsules before, which is what that one looks like to me. When those get older they get pretty bad.

It doesn’t matter as much for the Shure capsules themselves, because of the way they’re constructed. For some other mics it can be rougher.

And if you turn off a condenser mic while it has one of those on it, or a crown royal bag, loose fibers pull right to the capsule diaphragm.

I’ve cleaned red fibers from shure mic bags off of capsules before, which is what that one looks like to me. When those get older they get pretty bad.

It doesn’t matter as much for the Shure capsules themselves, because of the way they’re constructed. For some other mics it can be rougher.

And if you turn off a condenser mic while it has one of those on it, or a crown royal bag, loose fibers pull right to the capsule diaphragm.
Not to mention the fibers will stick just from the moisture even if the mic is off

edit:
You should be able to find silk and synthetic material dust bags, “it’s a thing”, as they say.

But I would really enjoy padded synthetic, like AEA does, if you ever run across similar.

Personally, I like being able to pitch bags in the trash once they get enough dust and use, and I don’t find the moisture to be an issue, even in Florida. But it’s because I’m just using them on stand, and the bottom doesn’t fully seal, though it comes close.

You should be able to find silk and synthetic material dust bags, “it’s a thing”, as they say.

But I would really enjoy padded synthetic, like AEA does, if you ever run across similar.

Personally, I like being able to pitch bags in the trash once they get enough dust and use, and I don’t find the moisture to be an issue, even in Florida. But it’s because I’m just using them on stand, and the bottom doesn’t fully seal, though it comes close.
I did look around at existing products today, but none of them did quite what I'd want for protecting a microphone capsule. To this end, I called DuPont about this and there is one material they have that does this specifically (99.99% barrier for particles >0.5um at normal pressure but no barrier at all for water vapor, traditional fabric feel). Basically nobody buys it but museums for very specific items. It's expensive, but I really want to try to develop it into a product. If something can be made as good as it possibly can, I can get a bit obsessive about that. Now that this issue has been brought up I have to at least look into what it would take to make the platonic ideal of Microphone Cover. A synthetic padded bag, that's easier. Already on the list.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back