C800 finished!!!!!

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
All parts of chassis!!!!!!!
C800chassis.jpg

[quote author="thomasholley"]Congratulations. Please post pictures when you can.[/quote]

To put high-mu tube horizontally may shorten its life.

Take a look to old good tube catalogue.
xvlk

Huh?

6AU6, sharp-cutoff pentode, mounting position: any.

This is according to datasheets from three different manufacturers.

I did a semi-random check on five other high-mu types (triodes and pentodes) including 12AX7, 12AT7, 6AV6, 5879 and all of them specify mounting position as "any."

I have never heard of any prohibition against mounting any small-signal type horizontally.

What's the source of your information?

[quote author="xvlk"]To put high-mu tube horizontally may shorten its life.[/quote]

Hmmm... If this is a joke, it's genious. If it's meant to be taken seriously, it's scary as hell.

Audiophoolerily yours,

Al.

Electrons will fall because of gravitation. Just ask mister Isak Newton. :green: :green: :green:

chrissugar

About the tubes on their sides..

I have heard that too, the reason was supposedly that the wires in the tube will start to hang to one side after time...
But considering me and xvlk come from the same town and probably get our tubes from the same person (who told me this), it shouldn't be a surprise :)
If it's true or not, I don't know. :-/

ddt

wow, totally imprressed with the metal work, that looks fantastic! If I could get over my fear of metal work, Id make a mic too...

Doesnt a 436 have a 6au6? Thats mounted horizontally...

dave

You can mount the tube so that the plate is liying along
the vertical axis if concearned about grid wires drooping.
NICE MIC!
When the first posts on DIY mics came along, I said
to myself "No Way", but in a few short days, it is clear that this is reality.
:thumb:

[quote author="Marik"]Duka,

Nice work!
If you have a splitted backplate capsule, as on schemo, I would suggest to take advantage of it and make fig8 pattern, as well.[/quote]

Thanks Marik
I have double capsule but I have a problem to find adequate switch and how to incorporate it.
Duka

[quote author="cjenrick"]You can mount the tube so that the plate is liying along
the vertical axis if concearned about grid wires drooping.
NICE MIC!
When the first posts on DIY mics came along, I said
to myself "No Way", but in a few short days, it is clear that this is reality.
:thumb:[/quote]

Chris thank you.
You are too "guilty" for my appetite to building some stuff :idea: .

Hi Guys
Listen here http://www.cankar.net/duka/tonight_only_voice-128.mp3 and http://www.cankar.net/duka/tonight_with_instruments-128.mp3 short clips what I recorded tonigh. I just finished shockmount.
Without compressor, EQ direct to preamp of mixer (not special preamp).
Best
Duka

Wow, this is awesome! good job. :guinness: :guinness:

I really want to build a tube mic, but there seams to be a lot of custom work. IE, PCB's, and the whole outer shell, diaphragm, etc. For me it seams a lot more advanced then a simple box with some tubes that you solder together. There's more precision and fraillty to a microphone.

I would appreciate it if we could start META on Mic Building, Maybe I should start with the TapeOp omnies, and move up.

I would love some day to clone a M149 or an ELAM or something I would have to sell my car to buy.

[quote author="Gus"]Are you going to use a cooler on the tube? Is that why the tube is horizontal?

Looks Nice[/quote]

Use one of these:
http://www.partsconnexion.com/audiogon_pix/PEARL.htm
.....then maybe surround it with another mesh "head".

Not that the tube really needs a heat sink...

nacho459

What do you mean? There are the royer tube kits. The G7( you can get brass tubing and mesh at Mc Master carr.com), The PCB board Zebra50 has posted the work Myself and others post about. Yes you can build a killer microphone for not much money. You could drop a tube circuit in a Studio Project C3. If you read thru all the posts in the microphone meta you will learn alot.

It has not been this easy to build a tube circuit in a microphone untill a few years ago. I started collect parts and read and study everthimng I could find on microphone to build one. Then the Royer tube mod came out then I found the G7 project and LuLu the space cats microphone and then tubing a microphone became somewhat common. Myself and others have done alot of thinking and testing and posting here and TT. Oliver and others have posted stuff at Klaus's forum and the Neumann pinboard.

FWIW I have built a ELA M250 circuit and IMO the circuit using a 6072a is not the big deal I believe it is the grill capsule design more than the electronics. look at some of the circuits myself and others have traced or designed and posted here. With a good capsule a DIYer can build a world class microphone IMHO. Myself and others Have posted lots of hints here that you might have a hard time finding. I saw on the web yesterday what sony charges for the tested 6au6 IIRC about $67.00 you can find out what tube it is in the posts here.

I own a Brauner VM1 and the last two microphones I have built are at the same sound quality. I might even change some parts in my brauner because of what Learned from the other microphone builds

There is a new tube one in the works body made from a piece of fence tubing think dia of a C12. I like to build with stuff I have.

For a starter microphone I would use a MXL 67 and a royer circuit. The grill is kind of like a 251 after you build that find a better capsule and you will end up with one heck of a microphone.

Sometimes a post like yours make me not want to share, but then I remember I have been reading about and playing with electronics for a some decades now and I step back and try to remember when I started building/repairing things. Look at the Meta Meta there is so much pro sound info in one place, what an information treasure trove!

There is even IR pictures of a 6au6 at different heater voltages

Wow, Thanks for the info, I guess I just never looked at the Meta-Meta before, I just figured you had to be some black belt DIY ninja to build a microphone. I've just never really messed around with mics, and I don't really understand the circuitry like I do an amp.
I'll Check out the Meta-Meta and try to get educated before I make myself look like an idiot again. :guinness:

"I make myself look like an idiot again" why would you say that? Sometime there is so much information it is hard to start. I did not mean the post as an attack at all, sorry if it came across that way.

I try to go back to when I first started building stuff an think how was it for me.

As I have posted before I find the web limiting because of not having the face to face or even phone interaction.

You really can build a great microphone for under $1000 lets do some adding for the c800g type

Capsule from a beringer b2 pro and mount about $150 for the whole microphone or build it in a studio projects C3

ll7903 or ll1577 wired 8:1 or 7:1 look at K and K audio for prices.

Cable for the microphone about $1.60 a foot

Good connectors about $8 X 4

PS Transformer from AES about $18.00

Good tube about $5.00

Case and other parts lets guess $150

8 feet of brass tubing about $80.00 end cap about $6.00 look for 16 hole an inch 49% open brass mesh.

maybe around $500.00 buying most of the parts

I build stuff with junk I have collected over the years

I have built a royer supply in a outlet box with the transformer mounted on the top of the box. A microphone I am building now is from a 6 foot piece of fence tubing I got at home depot you can build that part with a hacksaw, drill and file. I soldered the mesh in with a torch.

You need a good capsule and transformer first after that you can mix and match circuits change voltages and learn alot about what does what in a tube microphones "sound"

Don't be limited by with copying something exactly DIY is fun with using stuff you have or find. An defective PC power supply case could be a good home for a tube microphone power supply. Sometime people like the Mad Scientist look I have built effects in soup and coffee cans and people think it cool. It was late at night and I did not have a enclosure.

[quote author="Gus"]"I make myself look like an idiot again" why would you say that? Sometime there is so much information it is hard to start. I did not mean the post as an attack at all, sorry if it came across that way.[/quote]

Yeah, I know, I didn't take it as an attack, I just said that because it drives me nuts when nubies ask questions without trying to find answers on their own, and here I am asking questions to answers that are two clicks away. I try to live by the RTFM rule. After all, I have been at this board long enough to know to check the Meta-Meta first.

Anyways, I checked in on the G7 and saw how fairly simple it is. I guess when the time comes I would just need to know where to get all the specialty parts from like the diaphragm, PCB, etc; stuff you cant just order from Mouser or Tubes and More. Microphones are a way different world from amps and compressors.

I have a couple questions though, but I'm gonna ask them in a new post.

Latest posts

Back