DIY beatbox in the TR-808 style?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

robomatique

I would also lova info on this. I am almost finished with my 909 clone (huge project), but a 808 would be great as well!

http://www.introspectiv.eclipse.co.uk/

9090topview1.jpg

Robert

Jaakko,
Build just the analog section and put all digital lines to Atmel AVR compatible 10-pin headers. Then get some AVR proto board (www.microsalo.com in Finland and www.olimex.com in some other country sell some) and BASCOM-AVR BASIC compiler (I assume you have done some BASIC programming on Commodore64). I haven't used the 808 sequencer ever put I believe it can be somehow implemented.

[quote author="Viitalahde"]Thanks guys,

right now the uCapps project looks like the ticket. I'll have to digest that - no need for LCD screens and other crap.

One of the things with the 808 is that it's clocking is not exact. People say it has a slight groove to it - and also the triggering pulses may vary a little. This causes changes in individual sounds. Try to emulate that with a PIC. :cool:[/quote]

it's definitely not exact - my TR-808 will drift up or down a BPM or so at any given time.

What about MIDI? I have a percussion synthesizer I have been building, and it triggers with buttons right now. What would be the best way to add MIDI functionality to it without a huge headache?

Tim

The 707 & 727 has direct outputs, too.. it should be no problem converting audio->trigger pulses. Rolling Eyes

That works - I did it several times. But it's not cool :cool:

first: too many cables around. (I used it to go to my Doepfer-Modular's envelope/gate-follower to trigger other modules.)

second: This is the master disadvantage of the X0X-sequencers: You can only edit ONE intrument's sequence. For the other's you have to change to other intrument's sequence. Very uncomfortable...

Cool would be to have four rows of 16 Steps at ONE time. So you could edit Bass-Drum, Snare-Drum, Hi-Hat, whatever-else all together. That is what I'd love to have as a single Synth-module...

Any agreements?

Chris

I personally think that editing one track at a time is part of the X0X seq's magic. With the midibox seq, I think you can only do one at a time too.

That is the missing link for me too - how did the dude get the midibox seq to trig the 808's instruments? There must be some midi controlled gating of some sort in there - or envelope that is gated. Any crappy old drum machine probably uses a similar envelope to trig the sounds and can be had for pennies. Its at least worth it to expiriment right?

Latest posts

Back