FEELER: M49/50 Bodies

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
dmp, I think the C12 is fixed bias, not cathode biased. Edit: looks like you meant C24, not C12. I know nothing about the C24  :p

Also, the U47 tube cathode connects to a resistor before ground. Isn't a U47 fixed bias?

I edited my post to take the c12 out of the example list, since it is more complicated.
But I think most people argue that the c12 is cathode biased since the bias voltage derives from the return current from the plate voltage through R10, so technically, changes in the tube current will feedback to the operating point.

The U47 uses the same kind of trick as the m49b for fixed bias. The cathode is tied into the heater circuit so the resistor between the cathode to ground is much much smaller than in a cathode biased mic (i.e. 30 ohms vs ~2200 ohms). The bias voltage in the U47 is derived more from the heater current creating a voltage drop than the plate current creating a voltage drop. Thus, changes in plate current won't feedback to change the tube operating point, compared to a cathode biased mic, since the heater current is constant and keeps things stable, ie 30/2200 less.

The pins are pretty much on the mic to stop it from falling out when holding the mic upside down. The yoke doesnt from what I can tell interface with the mic at all.  So yes the peluso mount will work fine the M49 body Riggler and I are producing.

Eric

Link to the Binder parts:
http://www.binder-usa.com/psearch#q=number_of_contacts%3D7%26product_series%3D691

(Meant to post this here, not in the white market thread)
The binder connector will allow a screw-on shockmount as well - if there is one available with the right thread size (M25). Chunger's screw on shockmount was M26.

Now that I look at that connector again, boy do I have an idea for the mount all over again. Argh I guess I need to get modeling. I thought that someone with more time would have beaten me to it by now!

Life is so crazy guys, some things so great and easy, some things not so great and not easy. Some things great and not easy, and some things not great and just way *too* easy.

One of those moods...

Another question:
Anyone find microphonic issues with these submini tubes (5xxx series)?

Damian

Riggler, it looks like you use a Binder connector.  I think Latch Lake makes mounts that will connect to it.  Would you like me to look into a group buy of sorts for those?

Binder connector mounts? is there a thread about this? i'm very interested.

EDIT:

i did some searching for Latch Lake and Binder connectors but nothing comes up? is this a product that will be available soon?
i was hoping that there'd be a Binder connectable swivel mount. i hope that's what you're talking about?

I'm pretty sure they have been sking them for years.  They just do not advertise them for some reaon.  Latch Lake is here in town so I will contact them and see what I van find out.

I was looking at doing something just like this. I started a design shaped like a cup, matching the bottom taper of the base, having a "bump" for the rim of the connector, and then a hole fitting over the thread of the binder. You would then screw the cable on, securing the mic.

I could even forego the whole taper, and just leave like a 5mm wide ring. So material thickness would be like 2 or 3mm. Would that cause a problem with connector pins seating all the way???

If you guys know its good, then I might draw something up, or heck maybe I will just buy the Latch Lake too!

quick question. is the latch lake product we're talking about something like the classic neumann swivel mount with a fixed chord? or is it more like a simple threaded swivel mount like the one that is shipped with the TLM102 for example?

2il2975.jpg
sb6mq0.jpg

Back