FEELER: M49/50 Bodies

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
riggler said:
I am making a couple revisions and am sending to Marik...

I looked at the prints. It will take me a couple weeks to put all the numbers together. The preliminary ideas and considerations are:

1) The Aluminum material is about 3-4 times cheaper than brass. While the labor would probably dominate the final costs, still not to overlook. We can provide any finish: blasted, polished, ground surface, Ni plated, anodized, powder coated, etc.
2) The Stainless mesh is about 1/3 cheaper than brass.
3) It would be much more cost effective to leave the grill assembly to the end customers. The across bar can be glued with JB Weld and the mesh glued with silver epoxy. Alternatively, we can do it, as well. From our side something fancy like laser or spot welding, etc. is not a problem, but will add costs. If folks decide to do the body out of brass then soldering would probably be an easier option, but then one thing to consider is that would need to be done before Ni plating (i.e. we will need to do it ourselves). Overall, the main object is securely put together structure with a good electrical contact between mesh and body, which IMO, most of the folks would be more than capable of doing.

4) The minimum quantity we could bid on is 50 sets.

Once I get some kind of feel as for what folks have in mind I can proceed with things.

Best, M

The original mics were brass. When I was getting quotes done, the price for brass was not that much more than aluminum. Alum / brass to me is not a big deal, but may be to other people. I wonder if the heavier brass is better just for the physical balance of the mic body. Maybe it's better for resonance too? I think alum would be fine though if it keeps the cost down.

On mesh, the originals from my research used brass. Using stainless there is more springback in the material. I defer to Marik's experience here. I am not a die-cutting genius. I designed a die set that I think will work. Punching stainless is a bit tougher than brass, but maybe at these thicknesses it doesn't matter. I agree DIY assembly will reduce costs. Marik, in my email to you I included brass mesh prices from a supplier in Philadelphia that gave me good pricing. Again, I don't think brass versus stainless is a big deal though.

And yes, if brass, then all of that assembly has to be done before plating...

I am very happy to see things progress forward here!

Well here is some good news, courtesy of Tskguy!  ;D

$265 ($15 goes to the forum)
100 piece run.

All brass, brass mesh too, assembled headbaskets, and the mic will be finished. No internal plastic pieces though. (But if you are going to do poctop's PCBs you won't need them as they attached direct to the threaded rods.)

Waiting on a prototype. If it's good then we'll move forward.

Marik, can you please still get a price and everything if you have time? Nothing is certain...

Damian

When would the potential cutoff time, that is, the payment time be? I need to plan ahead, you see ...

riggler said:

100 piece run.

All brass, brass mesh too, assembled headbaskets, and the mic will be finished. No internal plastic pieces though. (But if you are going to do poctop's PCBs you won't need them as they attached direct to the threaded rods.)

Waiting on a prototype. If it's good then we'll move forward.

Marik, can you please still get a price and everything if you have time? Nothing is certain...

Damian

Awesome!  ;D
Count me down for one!

Let me know when and how to pay
Neil

riggler said:

We are completely swamped with work in preparation for Musicmesse right now, but will get to it by next week and will be able to put together all the numbers the following week.

Best, M

Time to get my popcorn ready then  ;) ,  hoping for the best,
Dan,

Hey everyone,

So I just got the ball moving on the first prototype. If all goes well I should have it in a week or so! Once everyone involved gives the prototype the thumbs up I will start a sign up thread to collect funds through PayPal. And by the way we will be going with binder. The cost is more but they are very nice!
Thanks Eric

Hi all,

I actually talked with the machinist again this afternoon and the week estimate I gave is a bit off, he told me it would be closer to three weeks before I have it in my hands. That being said I would rather have him do it correct the first time. Most of the time will be working out the details for the head basket mesh form and tooling. Once that is settled and working well the production run should go pretty quickly.

Thanks

riggler said:

100 piece run.

Waiting on a prototype. If it's good then we'll move forward...............

Damian

That IS good news.  Count me in for two at that price.  Looking forward to hearing more good news when the prototype is ready.  Thanks to both riggler and Tskguy for the effort.

Jeri

Yes I will consider as many as three at that price. Before I get called out for being greedy. I have the Decca Tree in mind.

Back