IJR's 2254/33609!

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Anxiously waiting your reports, are these 3 serious people allready building?

Power to them! :guinness: :sam: :thumb:

great.. i'm just back from few days away from home and i wanted to bump this topic.. well.. seems that it's already bumped.. great :thumb:

Hi folks!
It seems, not only ij overloaded with work/diy projects...
Anyone from people who get layout did not built it yet...
Let's wait.
Viitalahde, check your pm box.
Also, some changes done at this page:
http://www.geocities.com/igor_jazz/225433609.html

Ij-

how does your unit sound with variable attack? Thats really the most attractive feature for me, the 33609 with fixed attack is driving me nuts...

dave

Hi!
many seem to say it has similarities with F*cusrite RED3 in GR action
Not at all things.
In the studio my 2254/33609 working now there's f@cusright red3 in neightbour rack.
Red 3 have more "clear" audio (clinical purity):grin:
and Neve clone have this nice colouration and fatness of class
A single-ended design with tone of good iron;
in comression, they different.
Neve clone is "the killer" for rock guitars, rock/r&b vocals,
electronic music, sometimes it works very nice on accoustic guitars.
And for drums it is THE champion- BD/SD, drum buss, percussions...
Folks told me they prefrerred 2254/33609 for most things...
and if they need other compressor for vocals, they have la-2 clone
with UTC trafos in studio B.
The great thing was... about a year and half ago they even hated to talk
about cloning something. Now, they prefer clones to original stuff :))))
and reasons are not budget or polytical.
:grin: :guinness: :sam:
And for pople who think he can do 2254/33609 clone for $10 and a week of time.... pls, relax and go buy RNC.
This projest is expensive and takes a lot of time. You need also good
testing setup. Our calculation after we did the stereo unit clone was about $800 for all parts not include work ...
And time: assume, I have PCB and enclosure with holes and engraving,
all parts, bolts and nuts-
anyway, there's about 70-150 hours of work depending on how do you fast...

I'd buy a kit for this sucker...this is exactly the kind of 2254/33609 blend that I was thinking of making, but have no time to dedicate to it.

Out of curiousity, how do you select the diodes for the compressor section? I've heard from Geoff Tanner that Neve had a test jig setup to match diodes...

Cheers.

Kris

solid yes, but punchy is not a word Id use to describe neve at all, especially on the bottom, more like poofy and mushy. These things have a HUGE bottom, but its not really a contained snappy tight bottom end compared to what you can get with a lundahl. If you know the sound of a stock 1272 you know what I mean.

dave

Diode matching.
Built whole vca w/o trafos.
Put cv from potentiometer say 5k.
All 4 diodes in dip8 socket.
Now, you put in-phase signal to both inputs of VCA;
monitor outputs on scope with (a+ (-b)) setup (sum channels, one inverted) and change CV and see what happens...
More simple?
Built it without input trafo, same shit, but instead of messing with scope
use 10468....
:grin:
I'm already thinking of transformer options.. St. Ives seem to fit the boards straight, but can anyone comment on their sound? They're supposed to sound the most Neve'ish, right..? I want a solid, punchy low end too.. So there's a trafo combination to think for me. There'll probably be a Lundahl at some place.
If you have no original Marinair's, use St.Ives.
Don't mess with other options if you want to get THIS sound-anyone from
Lundahl, Sowter, OEP & etc.

Dave,
I think you will just have to be very patient

these guys move slowly and are very thorough and do things in great detail before they speak.

... and then they will speak when they have something to say. :cool:

has anyone got a 2264, 33609 schematic that is different from the one published EX11475. I have a layout for an original board but there are a few differences from the schematic EX11475.
the board I have belonged to an early 2264.
the schematic that is published in the Neve links of this forum is one of the very latest - has anyone got an older one?

the board scan I have is from a BA475

actually I have found a schematic for BA475 C but it only has part numbers and no component values.
so I need either a parts list or a whole schematic

"I think, this place is for TALKING ABOUT DIY, diy'ers aren't here
anymore:))"

TALKING ABOUT DIY IS LIKE DANCING ABOUT ARCHITECTURE
:green: :green: :green:

CHRISSUGAR

[quote author="ijr"]I think, this place is for TALKING ABOUT DIY, diy'ers aren't here
anymore:))[/quote]

:sad:
trust me
I am doing my best to get some DIY work done
this year has been even more difficult than last year and much of my time in the lead up to mid year turned out to be for nothing ... but you get that.

Kev's DIY moves very slowly and I have had a minor direction change.

I think someone should come out with kit of this. Yes Yes. It would be a great christmas gift.

I had to bump this thread....

just mind 225433609 tread...

So, IJR, it´s the third time you mention this thread... What happened to the 2254 33609 project? I remenber there was some folks testing the boards, or something like this...??

Back