MK7 - tube mic project

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Looks like a cool project. I'd be interested, too. Do you have a ballpark figure as to what it's gonna cost?

ioaudio:
Have you tried the original t.bone SCT700 capsule? How does it sound? I am just interested to hear if it can be used for anything?

[quote author="Rossi"]Looks like a cool project. I'd be interested, too. Do you have a ballpark figure as to what it's gonna cost?[/quote]

it will be quite affordable for what it is. the original laminations are very expensive and rare, i do not expect to find more of them, this will be a limited run.
the pcb itself shouldnt cost a lot, since it´s quite small.
mk7 pcb+bv7 will not be much more than the t.bone SCT700 i guess, propably the same.

[quote author="audiox"]Have you tried the original t.bone SCT700 capsule? How does it sound? I am just interested to hear if it can be used for anything?
[/quote]

no, sry, i didnt try, cant say anything about it.

-max

i received a few pm´s regarding the capsules i recomend.
i liked dale´s m7 , gefell m7 from um70 head pvc, neumann m7 pvc & neumann k47. i do have a favourite (at the moment :wink: ) but for my voice and my ears
the choice of the capsule is very very important, and at the same time quite subjective. choose a high quality capsule.

martin kantola made a comparison of m7 capsules here:
http://recforums.prosoundweb.com/index.php/mv/msg/23171/0/0/0/

just to clarify my earlier post - if this is the getting-in-line thread - i definitely want one. thanks again for your work on this max
-Ben

Oh boy,

Now that I have a couple G7 mic bodies on the way, it's between that circuit and this new one.

Max, I'd love to hear your subjective description of the sound of this circuit vs. a G7 if you've built one of those too.

Is it just in the spirit of building something new that you're not using the laminations to keep making original BV8's?

[quote author="JW"]Is it just in the spirit of building something new that you're not using the laminations to keep making original BV8's?[/quote]

not many people do have a vf14 tube. i tried to recreate the vf14/bv8 spirit with a affordable tube. the tube & transformer combination is crucial.

this is also an answer to the elite-ish vf14 snobs out there. it´s a good tube, but come on.

the g7 uses a lundahl and is a nice and clean circuit, also well proven with many different capsules.

this project is a bit more tailored to the capsule & grill of a u47.

without this forum this would not have happened - and i rather sell affordable sets to the members here.

-max

Just in case I wasn't clear enough: I want one, too! :grin:

I already got two Dale M7s waiting for a really good circuit.

I agree, this is a great forum, and I'm awed by the enormous dedication & competence of many of its members such as Dale and Max.

Back