Modify the Shure SM57 Microphone

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
[quote author="CJ"]

Gus told me the soundguy mod.
50 bucks and a PM and it's yours! :grin:

You gotta what these Jersey freaks.
They don't play by the same rules.[/quote]

I've been hired by a close associate that want's to keep dem mods in the family. Spill the beans and you'll be swimmin wit da fishes. :wink:

this should be obvious, but probably worth bringing up. If you buy a clone mic, you are buying a mic that has a different capsule in it. These mics dont sound the way they do because of the color paint on the bodies. I dont know how relevant the results of screwing with a cloned mic will be in regards to screwing with the real thing...

dave

I would be interested in seeing if I could improve the transformer a bit.
Something that small is just usually wound pri-sec.
Maybe a little interleaving of sections might make it sound different.

Since there really isn't much to a 57 besides that thick round foil and a transformer, and probably no one is going to mess with the capsule, that jsut leaves the transformer as a possible mod, unless youput a fet circuit in there or some other weird plan.

I will sacifice my beta 57 to the cause since I owe it to the thread starter for being Barney Beligerant.

Anybody wanna guess the lam #? :green:

[quote author="rascalseven"]I've heard rumors that the dies used to cut the current 57 diaphragms are the exact same ones used 25+ years ago and that they've become worn and affected the quality of the diaphragm...[/quote]
Stands to reason. Old, worn patterns are why Martin guitar's bracing gradually changed and the headstock's corners got "rounder" over the years during the 40's, 50's, and 60's.

Just was looking at the Lundahl data sheets. The LL1678 MC transformer might be a good candidate for the 1:4 with input impedance needed.
Not quite a perfect fit to the body, but hey DIYers, there is an inline option.

[quote author="Marik"]...The LL1678 MC transformer might be a good candidate for the 1:4 with input impedance needed...[/quote]
Cool! I was wondering about that. :thumb:

I always wondered if the beta 57/58's performed better than the standards... I have no experience with them. Are they better, built better, sound better or what? It might be possible they have a different tranny than the standards, I don't know. Anybody else know?

I do remember reading the paterns were tighter.

BTW, I have an old Shure Model PE54D Unidyne III with the silver shell & it was always my favorite among the 57's I owned, especially on guitar cabs & snare but I was doing a sound job about 10 years ago & the drummer knocked the head off & now it doesn't want to work... can it be fixed? It looks like the plastic diafram is lifted up a little & deformed just a hair but I'm not sure if it's that or something else. If it's not fixable, maybe the tranny is better & can be transplanted?
All this 57 talk makes me want to fix it. I could take pictures if that would help.

Thanks everybody & CJ :wink:
:thumb:

The Beta is not just a 57/58 with a different transformer. That much is certain. You can buy different capsule heads for Shure's wireless mics. I once reviewed a wireless set that came with different capsules. The beta 58 head sounded different than the SM58 head. The beta was brighter, but in a nice way.

I'm sorry guys, but I have to call you out on this.

The SM57 has "changed" in sound over the years most likely due to the changes in how piece parts (transformers, capacitors, resistors) are made.

In my opinion I think that a lot of people think they sound different because they are made in Mexico and not because they sound that much different.

Any ideas on models of transformers that would be good replacements for the little guy inside the 57? I think I'm going to do a break out box with a switcher between original transformer, a good replacement and no transformer.

YAY! My first post!

[quote author="Rossi"]The Beta is not just a 57/58 with a different transformer. That much is certain. [/quote]

The beta's at the very least have different magnets (neodymium).

[quote author="therecordingart"]I'm sorry guys, but I have to call you out on this.

The SM57 has "changed" in sound over the years most likely due to the changes in how piece parts (transformers, capacitors, resistors) are made.

In my opinion I think that a lot of people think they sound different because they are made in Mexico and not because they sound that much different.[/quote]

there are no resistors or capacitors in a sm57.

the mics I screwed with were brand new four years ago.

if this thread was only people who have experimented and PROVEN to themselves instead of speculating it would be half a page long.

dave

[quote author="soundguy"]if this thread was only people who have experimented and PROVEN to themselves instead of speculating it would be half a page long.[/quote]
hah no shit...

[quote author="therecordingart"]I'm sorry guys, but I have to call you out on this.

In my opinion I think that a lot of people think they sound different because they are made in Mexico and not because they sound that much different.[/quote]

Seriously, can you say this with a straight face? Speculation is one thing, but "calling out" is some strong language for someone who has never even unscrewed the case on a '57. What's next? Do you have proof that the early Neves sounded better because of the Telefunken tubes they used? :roll:

if this thread was only people who have experimented and PROVEN to themselves instead of speculating it would be half a page long.

dave

To each his own.

I'm sure there will be more input when people have a chance to try it... but you already know what modded 57's sound like :wink:

Bouncing around ideas & learning... that's what we do here, NO?

May I suggest that someone tries Beyer's method of flattening the response with an LCR filter?

That might help with the peak if people are trying to get away from that sound.

I suppose experimentation is the key...

OK, first off, don't go ripping the end off the 57 looking for the transformer, it's not there. Man, these things are tuff. I was tugging with all my might trying to rip the capsule of the end of this thing and it didn't even.
This is a 1990 that I bough at GC.
I guess it is not a beta, does not say on the mic.
I will check the box when I get home.

http://vacuumbrain.com/The_Lab/TA/Microphone/SM57/57_a.jpg

You unscrew the body to find the xfmr hiding.

http://vacuumbrain.com/The_Lab/TA/Microphone/SM57/57_2.jpg

Here is the transfomer. There is room for a bigger core, like the one Gus put in Soundguy's 57.
(I know those punks like the back of my arse!) :razz:

http://vacuumbrain.com/The_Lab/TA/Microphone/SM57/57_c.jpg

I am going to sweep the transformer while in circuit, so I can see what thew capsule does in the way of loading.

Then I will do it out of circuit.

Will using a soldering iron close to the mic de-gauss the magnet?
Maybe a little butane iron would be prudent?

Back