ohmite little demon carbon resistors

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

audiovisceral

assuming money's no problem, what do you guys think about these (5% tolerance carbon) instead of typical 1% metal film, regarding sound/performance?

eg.
http://search.digikey.com/scripts/DkSearch/dksus.dll?Detail?name=OF101JE-ND

[quote author="audiovisceral"]assuming money's no problem, what do you guys think about these (5% tolerance carbon) instead of typical 1% metal film, regarding sound/performance?

eg.
http://search.digikey.com/scripts/DkSearch/dksus.dll?Detail?name=OF101JE-ND[/quote]

With the carbon composition resistors you will get:

o More noise.
o Less precision in your constructions.
o Less long term stability.

[quote author="Whizard"][quote author="audiovisceral"]assuming money's no problem, what do you guys think about these (5% tolerance carbon) instead of typical 1% metal film, regarding sound/performance?

eg.
http://search.digikey.com/scripts/DkSearch/dksus.dll?Detail?name=OF101JE-ND[/quote]

With the carbon composition resistors you will get:

o More noise.
o Less precision in your constructions.
o Less long term stability.[/quote]

in theory sure, but these are a new specialty item they claim were designed to overcome those issues. drip recommends them in his la2a docs. i dunno.

To "overcame this issues" I use metal films. They are much better, especially when overrated by power.

[quote author="Wavebourn"]To "overcame this issues" I use metal films. They are much better, especially when overrated by power.[/quote]

drip says the demons are smoother and less, well, metallic (EDIT: ie. harsh ) sounding. has anyone else worked with them or does anyone know how they sound or if they're worth it?

thanks. :wink:

[quote author="audiovisceral"][quote author="Wavebourn"]To "overcame this issues" I use metal films. They are much better, especially when overrated by power.[/quote]

drip says the demons are smoother and less, well, metallic sounding. has anyone else worked with them or does anyone know how they sound?

thanks.[/quote]

Well; since bases for them are made of ceramic, may they sound ceramically?

Has there ever been a blind study comparing MFs against CCs? No offence to Drip, but in my experience, carbon resistors are always recommended by audiophools.

"Metallic"? If you go into a listening session thinking something will sound metallic, it will... Show me the blind data.

Carbon Comp do have an advantage in that they're non-inductive, but how many apps are there in analogue audio where a few pH of inductance will make a difference?

Audiophool BS. Give me the lower current noise of MF anyday. Also bear in mind that there are many apps where resistor composition will make little or no difference.

Justin

pretty much every time this topic comes up, someone brings up this link, so let me be the first:

http://www.geofex.com/Article_Folders/carbon_comp/carboncomp.htm

this is based on "empirical" data from data sheets, etc, but not, AFAIK first hand measurements.

ed

I've seen cases where it is argued that carbon comp are to be used for grid snubbers since they are less inductive than metal film with a spiral groove. But that implies that it takes an awfully tiny L to get your tube to oscillate.

Certainly you wouldn't want to use wirewounds for that application. There are some metal oxides that are formulated to require very little ablation of the material to get the correct value, hence very little effect on inductance.

I used to like the looks of the Allen-Bradley hot molded comps---nice shiny finish with nice saturated-color bands. But good metal films definitely are more ideal in measured performance. If you have a "vintage" piece that imparts a sonic signature based on the relatively high voltage coefficient of composition Rs, then I suppose you are obliged to replace like with like to preserve the sound.

Comps are useful in snubbing circuits a la Hagerman. And as bcarso notes, they keep guitar amps sounding like new (although I've been known to replace comps with MFs in guitar amps anyway, and liked the results.) Other than that, I try to avoid 'em.

Peace,
Paul

audiovisceral,

Dont be put off by those who think that passive components dont contribute any coloration to the sound of a circuit.
I tested the Little Demons some years ago and found them to be OK, but I dont use them.
In your application you might like them, my advice is to try them yourself and then decide.

Sorr

thanks for all the feedback. i'll stick with xicon metal film for the lesser likely headache in the long run. :thumb:

If you want to partially experiment with any color aspects, try using them at plate and cathode positions, and metal film everywhere else.

Back