ours sound like the 2*5*2*0?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The only things I'm confused about with the 2520BC is....

What is the deal with R4/R5?

How do you match transistors?

I also just want to confirm that R10 + C2 are wired in series correct?

The closest value I could find to the 800R resistor was 806R. I know it should be fine considering the true value of a resistor does vary, but I just want to make sure.

Hi everybody

Anybody have a 2520 DOA schematic using transitor array such as THAT 300 series for example ? This would give a bigger PCB that original 2520 but would be maybe easier to build and no transistor matching to do. If you have any info about it :razz:

[quote author="Phazinhead"]Hi everybody

Anybody have a 2520 DOA schematic using transitor array such as THAT 300 series for example ? This would give a bigger PCB that original 2520 but would be maybe easier to build and no transistor matching to do. If you have any info about it :razz:[/quote]
The HFE of the THAT 300 is too low, seems to be 100 typical, whereas the 2520 calls for greater than 400.

I saw the THAT array...Thought the same thing...Couldn't we use that for a DOA?! Then I saw the specs and realized there was no way.

Honestly though...A DOA made from predominately a single chunk of silicon....That's almost like a...Opamp IC. What's the advantage? And just why does a DOA sound "better" than a regular chip opamp.

Is it the current drive capability? Joe took a stab at that with the "Hybrid" opamp by put a discreet power section on the tail of a chip OA.

Whatever the case...My 312 type pres with 2520's kill. Not exactly sure how much of that is iron and how much is the opamp. I guess I could try sticking some iron on the output of another pre and see how it does.

[quote author="flintan"]I made a new BOM from the remade schematic Mick found working for his 2520BC, if anyone is interested:

C1 - 1000p
C2 - 47p
C3 - 47p
C4 - 39p
C5 - 10p
CD1 - 100n
CD2 - 100n

D1a - 1N4148
D1b - 1N4148
D2 - 1N4148
D3 - 1N4148

Q1, Q2 - BC550, matched
Q3, Q4, Q5 - BC550
Q6 - BC560
Q7 - BD139
Q8 - BD140
Q9 - BC560

R1 - 150K
R2 - 360R
R3 - 20k
R4 + R5 - 20k
R6 - 3K3
R7 - 3k9
R8 - 1K
R9 - 56R
R10 - 800R
R11, R12 - 5R6
R13 - 56R
R14 - 1K
R15 - 1K
R16 - 47K

I'm gonna try this, hope it works. I will let you know when i do.[/quote]

Two questions:

-Where do CD1 and CD2 go? I'm not seeing a spot on the PCB or on the updated schematic.

-For D1a and D1b I messed up and only put in one diode. Will I be ok?

I'll try to answer TheJames' question. I am not familiar with the THAT 300 array. Not yet anyways. But the beauty of a transistor array is that it is two (or more) transistors fabricated at the same time on one piece of silicon. So the geometries of the gate/base and junctions are very, very close to being the same. Then some of the foundries do laser-trimming to match them even closer. It would take us DIYer's hours to attain this level of matching on loose transistors. And a transistor array is just two (or more) transistors on one piece of silicon. An IC opamp usually contains 30 or more transistors on that one piece of silicon. Try to go read as many datasheets for IC opamps as you can. Some of the manufacturers include a simplified schematic for each device in the datasheet. That is only a simplified schematic. There are more components in there which they don't want to reveal. A monolithic IC opamp has all these components in order to attain certain spec's which the designers want that device to have. But the IC guys are rarely trying to attain really, really good sound. They're usually trying to optimize input current noise or something like that. The DIY DOA's which we build don't have 30 or more transistors. And they don't have all sorts of resistor-capacitor networks to filter out various things. They are some of the barest opamp circuits available so they pass nearly all the signal sent to them and don't muck with it and filter the shit out of it. The DIY DOA's are just short wires with amplification. And most all of them are running in class A and really suck down the power and consequently they need to dissipate all that power also. An IC opamp could never dissipate all this power in a DIP-8 package (for instance).

Alright. That's my 2 cents for today. DW.

Nielsk,
There are too many differences between the two types, but try moving C5 to between Q1 collector and the output pin.
Try that and report back.

peter

Hi Niels,

Did you ever get your opamps working? Did Peter's suggestion work or did you find another way?
thanks!

bump... how did the thing sound? I'm also trying to figure out where the com or ground pin is attached to the circuit, since the schematic doesn't show where this pin should be going to?

thanks!

Latest posts

Back