Pimp my Preamp!

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey neeno,
looks funktastic man..
btw, it looks like you didn't use the pc mounted switches and connectors, right?? would you mind sharing your BOM. I have 2 unfinished and still deciding on pc mounted or not.
Thanks
Gil

Hey BR,

Nino did use PCB mount components, but the board looks like it is mounted
upside down from the pics. I chose to wire off board because I wired
everything off board, which is convenient if you need the space (I had to get
4 in a rack).

Matt

WOW ! :shock:
Thank you all for the kind words guys ! :grin:

Consul & Fabio:
Sorry no pictures of the inside yet... as you can see also some frontpanel parts are missing (the retro-vintage-modern switch and the phantom led), she isn't racked yet...

clintrubber:
Sorry but I don't have a .fpd file. The artwork is done in AutoCAD, maybe someone knows a way to convert the dxf to fpd... ?
Hey, I'm a flash newbie too, but I've found this nice flash gallery here:
http://www.airtightinteractive.com/simpleviewer/
it's free and really simple to use... :thumb:

CJ:
CJ... my english is so bad.. :sad: figure out if i have to try to describe how it sounds... i'll post some samples as soon as she's racked...

[quote author="Steffen"]looks hot...sounds hot :green:
pimptone.jpg
[/quote]

Steffen
Thank you for all the inspiration Steffen ! :thumb:

skipwave:
The Vintage - Retro - Modern switches RL value on the input transformer from 100k, 50k, 25k... nothing special...

BR
I have used the pc mount switches, all the frontpanel parts are pc mount, but the fetboys are upside down as Matt said... I've used some spare parts if found layin' on my bench, pots are Phier pc mount, the 6.3mm jack is Neutrik pc mount and switches are the usual switches fabio uses on his lovely boards... (i should have Distrelec/Schuricht part numbers around... drop me a line if you want my pseudo-partlist...).

Thank you so much guys !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :green:

[quote author="Neeno"]
clintrubber:
Sorry but I don't have a .fpd file. The artwork is done in AutoCAD, maybe someone knows a way to convert the dxf to fpd... ?
Hey, I'm a flash newbie too, but I've found this nice flash gallery here:
http://www.airtightinteractive.com/simpleviewer/
it's free and really simple to use... :thumb: [/quote]
Thanks, I'll get it.
:thumb:
skipwave:
The Vintage - Retro - Modern switches RL value on the input transformer from 100k, 50k, 25k... nothing special...
Variable secondary-loading it is, right ? Like you say, nothing special it might be, but at least you don't see it often. Maybe that's for a reason, or maybe it's just a good idea ! FWIW maybe this could be teamed up with a simulatenously changing cap.

Bye,

Peter

[quote author="Steffen"]looks hot...sounds hot :green:

pimptone.jpg
[/quote]

LMAO. Priceless. Yeah let's return to the 70s when men were men and music gear ads were cheesecake! :razz:

I'm disappointed though because I thought I'd be the first here with a pink front panel... I was going to use red or maroon knobs though. :sad:

Kiira

[quote author="kiira"][quote author="Steffen"]looks hot...sounds hot :green:

pimptone.jpg
[/quote]

LMAO. Priceless. Yeah let's return to the 70s when men were men and music gear ads were cheesecake! :razz:

I'm disappointed though because I thought I'd be the first here with a pink front panel... I was going to use red or maroon knobs though. :sad:

Kiira[/quote]

hey kiira, dont be disappointed! there are other ugly colors outhere....look at this summingthingy I built some time ago :green: :

summingboxgreenmini.jpg

[quote author="clintrubber"][quote author="Neeno"]
skipwave:
The Vintage - Retro - Modern switches RL value on the input transformer from 100k, 50k, 25k... nothing special...[/quote]
Variable secondary-loading it is, right ? Like you say, nothing special it might be, but at least you don't see it often. Maybe that's for a reason, or maybe it's just a good idea ! FWIW maybe this could be teamed up with a simulatenously changing cap.
[/quote]

That a great idea, and simple to do. What input transformers are you using and how does the different secondary loading affect their frequency response?

The cap too.... a complete change of Zobel network for different sounds from the same trafo. Your on to something there. :cool:

[quote author="Steffen"]hey kiira, dont be disappointed! there are other ugly colors outhere....look at this summingthingy I built some time ago :green: :

summingboxgreenmini.jpg
[/quote]

way ahead of ya steffen already got it covered

v672bs.jpg

Kiira

kiira. what is that scary looking blood splatter on the baseboard under your workbench!? :shock: did your feet get attacked by a wild animal or something?

mike p

[quote author="kiira"][quote author="Steffen"]hey kiira, dont be disappointed! there are other ugly colors outhere....look at this summingthingy I built some time ago :green: :

way ahead of ya steffen already got it covered

Kiira[/quote]

hmm...ok...what about banana yellow? :cool:
steff

[quote author="mikep"]kiira. what is that scary looking blood splatter on the baseboard under your workbench!? :shock: did your feet get attacked by a wild animal or something?

mike p[/quote]

..... f r a n k e n s t e i n´s l a b ..... :green:

You played too long with the KungFu retro mixer, i guess?

That is simply...an incredible box! :shock:

i just have to think about how it would compare optically right under the 'Bratwurst'-pre.... :razz: :razz: :razz:

Top Notch!

Hey Neeno

That pink preamp is for the Barbie collection? :green:
Just kidding, I like it very much. It looks very, very nice.

Coincidence is, that these days I discovered some nice looking pink LEDs, and now I try to find an application for them. :grin:

chrissugar

[quote author="chrissugar"]Hey Neeno

That pink preamp is for the Barbie collection? :green:
Just kidding, I like it very much. It looks very, very nice.

Coincidence is, that these days I discovered some nice looking pink LEDs, and now I try to find an application for them. :grin:

chrissugar[/quote]

Hahahaha :grin:
I love to keep my Barbie collection up to date...
Actually I'm working on something we can call "Ken's Buss Compressor"...

Pink leds ? Uhhh... I think I should have an application for them ! :green:

Thank you for the nice words Chris !

[quote author="skipwave"][quote author="clintrubber"][quote author="Neeno"]
skipwave:
The Vintage - Retro - Modern switches RL value on the input transformer from 100k, 50k, 25k... nothing special...[/quote]
[/quote]

That a great idea, and simple to do. What input transformers are you using and how does the different secondary loading affect their frequency response?

The cap too.... a complete change of Zobel network for different sounds from the same trafo. Your on to something there. :cool:[/quote]

I'm using a OEP A262A3E as input transformer and as you said the secondary loading affects the frequency response a bit, giving you a bit more bottom or a bit more open top end....

Changing the cap should be a nice idea too... ! :thumb:

OK group sorry for the big post but,
When all the pimp'n was going down I didn't have any photo's ready.
So here's a few of the new baby I took today. I've been working on this project about five years and now it's done. I call it the MPA-60. Basically, the same frame and chassis can house 2 pre-amps, or a pre-amp and an Opto Type compressor. The version shown has 2 pre-amps installed. The pre-amp features Stepped gain controls, A response control for fast, medium and slow response. This allows me to taylor the color from a fat old vintage sound to a really clean almost solid state sound. The level control is a ?6dB attenuator for setting the final output level. I also have a line input (transformer coupled) for re-amping and a true instrument input directly to a separate cathode follower input stage. The compressor is a 2 knob (LA-2Aa ) set it and forget it type with the addition of a side chain filter.

MPA60_Small.jpg

During the design phase, I tried almost ever topology there is. I would bread a prototype and actually try on a session. Bring it home change something and try again. So I can?t really say it an RCA, or a Collins or whatever. It?s a push pull output stage with a massive output transformer.
I went through 4 different output transformers before finally settling on this one.

Innards1.jpg

TheVU meters are buffered and back lit. The stepped attenuator is low noise .1% SMT type using ELMA?s

Innards2.jpg

All supply voltages are well regulated with the power transformer mounted to the backside of the enclosure for better temp control.

Innards4.jpg

All markings and legends are silk screened. I posted a DIY here:

http://www.groupdiy.com/index.php?topic=14601&start=0

That is very, very nice.... One of the best projects I've seen here definitely.

[quote author="kubi"]
Variable slew rate? Please tell us more! :grin:[/quote]

Yeah, I remember seeing this on the GTubes Vi**Pre......

Latest posts

Back