Presonus Firepod problems

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i had the same problem once. it was a bad firewire cable. after replacing it with a new one, the firepod worked again without any problem.

I have a Firestudio (the bigger version of this) and let me say, it is NOT as reliable as anyone needs it to be.  I have had situations where it worked with no problems, and then it wouldn't connect at all to the computer.  I move from computer to computer a lot, different OSs as well (mac to winxp) and it hates that. 

My troubleshooting approach involved a lot of little things.

-If it has 2 firewire ports on the back, try using the other one.
-Are you connecting through an external FW harddrive?  If so, play around with switching the order and which port you use.
-Is the firewire card built in to the computer?  Is it an add on?  PCI card?  Thats what I use, and I think it complicates things. (turning off a hard drive disconnects my interface, etc..)
-Try it on another computer if you have access to make sure SOMETHING happens at least.
-If it has a power switch, try turning it on before starting up your computer, then off when startup and turn it on once your os loads. 

Like I said, its really finnicky.  Everything has to be perfect for mine to work.  Its never just "OH, I'm inspired!  Let's record!"  This usually follows......"OH wait, I have to fool with this thing for at least 20 minutes.  Oh, now I'm not inspired and in fact aggravated! I quit"

You get the idea.  Little stuff like that.  Personally, I'm selling my presonus interface and running far far away from it over to MOTU's neck of the woods.

I don't wish that upon you.  I hope you can get it to work up to your needs.  Their tech support won't be very helpful....

believe me i have tried all and all again to make it work  ;D before the unit was super reliable never clicked, suddenly one day it gave up on me,same thing happend to my first one. had the firestation before, that one was more like you describe but i think they make a recall of that one...i really like there support had very good experience with them...

did you update the firmware?
i have also two firepods, but i have another problem with them. everytime when for example a guitar amplifier where turn off, the connection of the firepod is dead. i must turn off/on the firepod.
i don't know if the spike of the "heavy load" is on the firepod supply or on the computer (firewire)

Kir_For_Pleasure said:
i really like there support had very good experience with them...

Well I must have had a bad experience then.  ;D I won't write it off just yet.  It seems its always a long wait on hold for very little insight.  I will try them again for further support.

It is probably a broken "firewire-chip" (a smd chip). I have repaired a lot of these and this usually fixes the problem.

Latest posts

Back