SSL 9K Mic Pre Thread 2009

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
RedNoise said:
Have you tried AML?

http://www.audiomaintenance.com/acatalog/potentiometers_carbon_20mm_diameter_dual_gang.html

2,58£ each ...

Thank you for that! Should work great and i need 8 of them so the price drops a little too.

So that leaves the MAT-02 still, anyone have the place to get them at a decent price?

mpc3000limited said:
RedNoise said:
Have you tried AML?

http://www.audiomaintenance.com/acatalog/potentiometers_carbon_20mm_diameter_dual_gang.html

2,58£ each ...

Thank you for that! Should work great and i need 8 of them so the price drops a little too.

So that leaves the MAT-02 still, anyone have the place to get them at a decent price?

I, also would like to find a source for the MAT-02.  I need about 15.
Thanks!
Bruno2000

I ordered this one from Farnell, seems to be a direct replacing for the Mat02, you should just bend the last 2 pins ( I mean pin 4 and 5)...but hurry up, even this one is out of production and Farnell seems to be the last chance...

http://it.farnell.com/analog-devices/ssm2210pz/transistor-matched-pair-npn-2210/dp/9605088

Daniele

P.S.: I just started collecting parts, so I'm not sure if it works or not... ;)

gec said:
I ordered this one from Farnell, seems to be a direct replacing for the Mat02, you should just bend the last 2 pins ( I mean pin 4 and 5)...but hurry up, even this one is out of production and Farnell seems to be the last chance...

http://it.farnell.com/analog-devices/ssm2210pz/transistor-matched-pair-npn-2210/dp/9605088

Daniele

P.S.: I just started collecting parts, so I'm not sure if it works or not... ;)

MAT-02 is TR5 in the PCB, which has holes for a radial transistor-style package. The link you provide is a DIP-8 package. I bet you have some serious leg-bending and leg-cutting to do and, if the pinouts don't match exactly (too lazy to check it out) even mounting it elsewhere and wiring it (!!).

Excuse me if I am completely wrong about this (I have collected the parts and I'm waiting for Gustav's boards), but, hasn't it been said several times in this forum that the LM394 is a very good replace for MAT-02? I mean, FWIW they're both a pair of matched NPN transistors.
Correct me If I'm wrong, before I build this thing with my expensive LM394s and set anything on fire!!

Cheers

The LM394 will work fine. I've used it. So have others here IIRC Svart posted about it somewhere.  Some people prefer the MAT-02 "sound" (but I read that at GS I think, so take that with a grain or two of salt).  Anyway, is the MAT-02 out of production or something? I got some from Analog a year or so ago, but they don't seem to have a price on them anymore ???

Thanks for clarifying that, mitso. As long as it does what it has to do, i wouldn't worry about using the exact part "for the sound". How wrong can you get with a matched pair of transistors? It's not a transformer, tube or discrete opamp. If their specs deviate a bit, I'm fine with it. I seriously doubt any engineer (let alone end-user / music listener) could actually hear which one is the MAT-02 and which one is the LM394 in a blind test.

That said, I have not listened to any of them. So, that's what I think for now.  ;)

couldn't you get one of those wire wrap ic sockets so that the bending is done on the cheap part that has longer legs?  i couldn't find a 6 pin at mouser, but i guess you could snip off the last 2 pins.  then the ssm2210 will drop right in.  the pinout is the same.  is this really a mat02 in a dip package?  I've searched around recently, and Arrow Electronics is the only place that has mat02's in stock that I could find, and they are $23 a piece!!  and they won't sell em to you over the website.  you have to call them.  I'm finishing up my 1176 Rev A and want to build a pair of preamps.  I want it to be these, but the whole mat02 quandary is really putting a damper on that.  What's a good solution?  ???

Or you can buy it from the shark calling himself littlediode_usa on ebay... 30-$42 each!

for mat02 i've better but i think they don't want sold one by one but the minimun quantity should be ten for around 6 euros each plus shipping
i'll give you the link when i find it

wow that's great!  I will contact her immediately!  Is it a business or just someone who has a surplus?  Is she located in the US or elsewhere?

I almost ordered 2 of them from Arrow for $23 apiece, but I wanted more to build at least a 4 channel box.  I just didn't want to pay $100 for 4! 

If she comes through, this is a real lifesaver!

buy 'em while you can... I wrote to analog to ask about the MAT02EH and FH and their answer was:

Both of these parts will be obsolete in a year time.
:(

be weary of deals that seem too good to be true from China.

You'd be surprised how fake versions of good IC's can appear when something becomes obsolete.

I did 13 trips to china last year with work, and bought all sorts - components, toys (gifts), clothes etc.

Rule #1 I've learnt of buying in China.
-- yes, the price is cheaper, but would you be seriously disappointed if the parts didn't work? Because the chances of fakes/faulty good is significantly higher.

i hear that.

maybe stereokillah can chime in on his experience with that parts source as it regards to Quality Control.  Were the MAT02's that you received from them acceptable quality?  Well, I'm gonna find out soon enough I guess, so I will try to relay my experience when it happens.

first my feel is, the mot of compenents in the world come from Asia, the hairball vu come from asia,
when they do fake you could see it easyli, like the toys , mobile phone , clothes etc...

second thing, i ordered 10 mats 02 , 10 lm394h, 10 dr1334 burbrown and all work fine, i can't do the test to know if it's fake , cause i don't know how to do ,  most of my compenents  for all my clones come from asia, elna rubycom nichicon and never had problem.

But without give generality all my business with usa was very bad cause each time the seller said me one thing before my shop and other after,

one digi002 come france back to usa, Valley poeple 610 broken before the shipping so all my dispute on paypal are with the usa shop.

but i cant says all in the seller in usa are bad, just when you bought on the web you could be have chance or not.

Latest posts

Back