SSl Clone with a Valve Stage?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ahhi see! Cool mate appreciate the input. Its to in the next gen gssl, seen some great info on the internal crush for the gssl which looks awsome!
Lookin at a few simple tube amps but dont wanna do it for the sake of it. Its gotta sound good.
Implanting the tube amp seems to be a ball ache especially for a novice like myself.
I wont give up tho!

i would take PRR very seriously if i were you:)
looking at the C&B connection, and both schematics , ur crash and blend_tube plan wont work the way you think it would work....
good luck

Yeah PRR is the man!
After reading this thread http://www.groupdiy.com/index.php?topic=34833.0
That was posted a couple replies back i wondered if it would work as a drive input stage into the compressor?

yes, as separate unit.. you can build them in the same box tho...

you should visit  Gyraf's web, and read how gssl works,
audio getting converted to current, and back to audio etc....

it works... good for very first tube project... PSU is from Gyraf's pultec eq...

Ok so it looks like im fightin a losing battle here with this tube colouration idea.
Is there any other way i can add some colour on its own control knob (hot/cold) (bright/dark) on my sb4000?
Any ideas will be considered, forget tubes for now
Thanks for putting up wit my ambitious goals! ;D

sheadstedford said:
Ok so it looks like im fightin a losing battle here with this tube colouration idea.

No you aren't. Just because it's not a great idea doesn't mean it can't be done.

I would personally build just the standard GSSL/SSL-SB/whatever first and then some separate tube stage both in separate boxes.

But who says you couldn't do it in a single box. The SRPP tube stage with output transformer used in g-pultec (shown by kambo) would work really well as an output stage to any SSL project. Lose the input transformer, take the output from the opamp right after the main signal path VCA's to the tube grid (hinted by PRR). Do it through a 100k pot (as a voltage divider) to trim the volume to unity gain.

It certainly beats the crap out of the standard GSSL pseudo balanced output in terms of sound.

But then, you could build the simple SRPP line stage in a separate box and use it everywhere else as well. Also, your PSU will be a real kludge if you build these two in a single box.

Kingston said:
sheadstedford said:

No you aren't. Just because it's not a great idea doesn't mean it can't be done.

I would personally build just the standard GSSL/SSL-SB/whatever first and then some separate tube stage both in separate boxes.

But who says you couldn't do it in a single box. The SRPP tube stage with output transformer used in g-pultec (shown by kambo) would work really well as an output stage to any SSL project. Lose the input transformer, take the output from the opamp right after the main signal path VCA's to the tube grid (hinted by PRR). Do it through a 100k pot (as a voltage divider) to trim the volume to unity gain.

It certainly beats the crap out of the standard GSSL pseudo balanced output in terms of sound.

But then, you could build the simple SRPP line stage in a separate box and use it everywhere else as well. Also, your PSU will be a real kludge if you build these two in a single box.
Thanks mate ill defo look into this one!!

So jus bought an srpp and i think im defo gonna use it in the output stage, but the power supply is a myth!!
Any ideas how to run the compressor amd srpp off the same power supply? Dont really want two separate switches and plug inputs.
Please help me!!! ???

i dont think it will be hard to wire two up in the same case,
if you have space in the chassis and use more fuses

i think a custom transformer would be quite expensive

I warned you the PSU will be a kludge. Essentially there will be two separate PSUs, one for the 15-18V bipolar rails of SSL, and one powering your tubes (which need some 200-300VDC B+ and also 6.3V for heaters). Likely there will be at least two separate PSU transformers.

sheadstedford said:
Don't really want two separate switches and plug inputs.

I really think you should just build the SB4000 kit at this point. Especially if you can't solve the above issue with switches and plug inputs. We don't want you dead just yet, or one-eyed with no thumb because you blew up a big B+ capacitor in your face!

Heart broken! Im still gonna build the srpp on its own though. Gutted!
I was well up for a valve output stage...the CnB and symmetry control are on though!

Latest posts

Back