To all DIY mic builders: HOLY FRIGGIN' SCHNITZ!!! :-o

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
[quote author="alk509"][quote author="TomWaterman"]If they can offer bodies and capsules I'm sold![/quote]

They can! *giggle*giggle*

:green:

Al.[/quote]

Is it already set in stone then? I thought it was a 'maybe' offer?

I'm more interested in the bodies than the capsules....I'm after a pair of G7s with pelusos but I selected everything on the survey.....I thought I did see a dual 34mm there?

Cheers Tom

FWIW in a sound on sound article I believe I read that Feilo make the SE Microphone parts?

[quote author="TomWaterman"]Is it already set in stone then? I thought it was a 'maybe' offer?[/quote]

It's still a maybe thing, but if it goes through, they do offer mic bodies.

Al.

[quote author="Gus"]Marik

Do you ever get the feeling no one is listening?[/quote]

:grin: :grin: :grin:

To translate Gus' words:
People! first listen to the capsule, how does it sound??? It seems that cheap capsules are very attractive... untill you compare them to "real" ones.

Gus has emphasised many times about good quality of 797 factory ones. In fact, it was him, who brought them to my attention. Make a search under his name and you will find many excellent suggestions as to which mics would be worth to get and modify, or at least to use as a capsule donors.

As for Felio capsules, I would like to hear them first, to see if they are any good, and how they would stand against 797's. If not, why to bother?

[quote author="Marik"]People! first listen to the capsule, how does it sound??? It seems that cheap capsules are very attractive... untill you compare them to "real" ones.[/quote]

Are the Feilo capsules cheap? How much is "cheap"? I just don't want to spend $150 on a Peluso capsule for an "experimental" mic... Also, since I'm likely to be doing a lot of mic building, I don't want to have to cannibalize 10 microphones...

Where did you find the price of the Feilos? I can't find any kind of pricing info on their website...

How much??? HOW MUCH??!!!?!! :shock:

Peace,
Al.

[quote author="alk509"][quote author="Marik"]People! first listen to the capsule, how does it sound??? It seems that cheap capsules are very attractive... untill you compare them to "real" ones.[/quote]

I just don't want to spend $150 on a Peluso capsule for an "experimental" mic... Also, since I'm likely to be doing a lot of mic building, I don't want to have to cannibalize 10 microphones...
[/quote]

Make a search under his name and you will find many excellent suggestions as to which mics would be worth to get and modify, or at least to use as a capsule donors.

On ebay you can get some of these mics much cheaper than $150. You will also have a body and some parts (hi-Z resistors, for example)

I have bought a number of china built microphones to learn on. I also have some good ones neumann,gefell,brauner. I think I own about 50 condenser microphone maybe more. I have tried different circuits both tube and transistor. The first microphone I modded was a MXL1006. The 32mm brass with 18 screws can sound ok but once you test it against a KK87, m7, kk47, brass ring CK12......................

You can put the best tubes and transformers caps etc and it only get so good for the 32mm IMO.

The 797 capsules look like a closer copy to a real KK87/67 and they sound better IMO

MF sells the ber B2 pro with a dual 6 micron for about $150.00 USA IIRC. I bought one as a test and noted it seemed to have potental so I used the capsule and mounting post in my C800G type microphone.

A list of microphones having 797 capsules I know of
C1 6 micron cardiod
C3 6 micron mult
MXL2003 3 micron cardiod
Beringer B2 Pro 6 micron mult

The M audio luna looks like it might have a 797 in it

If you are going to build a microphone being cheap with the heart of it is not a good thing to do. Capsule, grill and transformer appear to be the most important. The circuit counts alot but the best circuit is not going to help the others.

I just finished a microphone the other day I machined the parts for the body and tried a 32mm again built a clean 1 transistor amp It does not sound bad but to me it is a failure.

Maybe the best thing to do is to buy a MXLv67,2001 etc and do the royer mod its not bad it is good but a better capsule realy brings it to life.

Whats the sense of DIY if you are not going to make something the best way?

Gus is correct, as Marik and I know from experience. If you're going to go through all the trouble of building a mic, it's rather silly to put an inferior (read Feilo) capsule in it when you can get a very nice sounding (read 797) capsule in it for not much more $. Check with Alan Hyatt at PMI about buying 797 capsules.

As of lately, SE Electronics and other companies are either making their own capsules or sourcing them from someone else, which is probably why Feilo is considering selling them in smaller quantities.

I'd be happy enough to get some capsules to play with, even if they're not the highest quality. As this thread started up I was contemplating getting an MXL mic or two to mod.

Back