To all DIY mic builders: HOLY FRIGGIN' SCHNITZ!!! :-o

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, there's at least 100 more members now, than when this was posted, so...

BUMP!

Here's the link again: http://www.feilo-usa.com/consumer_survey.htm

Peace,
Al.

as Marik and I know from experience. If you're going to go through all the trouble of building a mic, it's rather silly to put an inferior (read Feilo) capsule in it when you can get a very nice sounding (read 797) capsule in it for not much more

I'm still a long way from even thinking about a mic DIY project. But when the time comes, I know that I will TRY to buy the very best components that I can. Aren't really nice capsules available from someone like MBHO (supplier to some of the priciest boutique mic builders)? If you are going to spend dozens or even hundreds of hours designing and building your dream mic, wouldn't you want the best capsule possible?

[quote author="hollywood_steve"]as Marik and I know from experience. If you're going to go through all the trouble of building a mic, it's rather silly to put an inferior (read Feilo) capsule in it when you can get a very nice sounding (read 797) capsule in it for not much more

I'm still a long way from even thinking about a mic DIY project. But when the time comes, I know that I will TRY to buy the very best components that I can. Aren't really nice capsules available from someone like MBHO (supplier to some of the priciest boutique mic builders)? If you are going to spend dozens or even hundreds of hours designing and building your dream mic, wouldn't you want the best capsule possible?[/quote]

Steve,

Thanks for listening. IMO, you are absolutely correct. I have no idea what is the point of DIY a mic with crappy or unknown capsule. The thing is (as I and Gus have emphasized many times here), it is impossible to get the mic to sound better than its capsule can do.

OK, there's been a number of posts about this, so:

[$0.02]

[quote author="hollywood_steve"]If you are going to spend dozens or even hundreds of hours designing and building your dream mic, wouldn't you want the best capsule possible?[/quote]

Yes, I would. Then again, who's talking about "dream mics"? It would most likely be pretty stupid to put a Feilo capsule in your dream mic!

There are a thousand different factors involved in DIY'ing; making the best-possible sounding gear is just one of them: Some of us enjoy the process. Some of us are only trying to learn audio electronics. Some of us like the smell of solder. Some of us are experimenting so we can make our dream gear in the future. Some of us have an urgent need for something specific. Some of us actually like the sound of some piece of "crappy" gear. Some of us like to learn shit the hard way, or want to put to the test what others post online. Some of us are just plain broke, but can't shake the DIY bug...... I'll stop.

The point is that a $500 MBHO capsule and a $20 Feilo capsule both have their uses. Like a Ferrari F550's and a Ford Pinto, if you like.

[/$0.02]

Peace,
Al.

[quote author="Marik"]Thanks for listening. IMO, you are absolutely correct.[/quote]

I also have been listening to you and Gus and Flatpicker and now Steve, Mark - just been politely ignoring you. It is vox populi that the Feilo capsules are pretty much at the bottom of the quality spectrum. Even though apparently quite a few of us would like to be able to buy some, rest assured that the pursuit of sonic perfection is not the reason.

Peace,
Al.

Latest posts

Back