U47-style bodies - who can make one?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Good news.

After some proposals & discussion with the manufacturer,
we have arrived at a design change that will make the head basket easier for them to assemble while maintaining a pleasing aesthetic.

What we are going to do is put some slots in the top and bottom head basket rings for the side rails to slide into.
I know this is not the way the original was done, but the internal geometry will remain unchanged.
If I remember correctly, this was recommended by mad.ax earlier in this thread...so, good call...I should have listened to you back then!

I will post up a render or two to demonstrate.

So, things are rolling again, and I will let you know when to expect a view of the first samples once we get closer to that time-frame.

Hi Skylar,
I'm certainly glad that my small contribution may finally be a part of your amazing project!

Your initial reaction is perfectly justified though, as for some manufacturers, those slots mean more tooling, and the associated cost can be spared by careful soldering, the way it was initially done.
Now, for a big manufacturer, who probably has a 5 axis CNC, adding those slots is no big deal, while it will warrant set square soldering and good finish.

Axel

DIY an Happy new year!

Is the pricing still the same or is it different due to all these design changes. Definately interested in two though. Are you going to hold stock? or just order the amount that people want?

TheGuitarist said:
Is the pricing still the same or is it different due to all these design changes. Definately interested in two though. Are you going to hold stock? or just order the amount that people want?

No change in price ($200USD).
I will hold stock if there is demand.

Cool, and just checking, i couldn't find a confirmation, will the bodies include the ring to hold the capsule as well? I'll probably get a k47 off Ben from BeezNeez

HI, where and when could we place orders(the equinox-survey for this has closed?)
for this mic-body. And what about the rest of the parts(pcb's ,transformers and PSU parts)
From where should I purchase them , if possible....
Best Regards, jyrki3101

TheGuitarist said:
Cool, and just checking, i couldn't find a confirmation, will the bodies include the ring to hold the capsule as well? I'll probably get a k47 off Ben from BeezNeez

The ring is not included.
You can get a capsule mount from several sources...Thiersch, Chinese donor mic, Peluso, GroupDIY Black Market.
Search this thread for "capsule mount"; we've talked about it a few times.

jyrki3101 said:
HI, where and when could we place orders(the equinox-survey for this has closed?)
for this mic-body. And what about the rest of the parts(pcb's ,transformers and PSU parts)
From where should I purchase them , if possible....
Best Regards, jyrki3101

If you read my posts from the last 4 pages of this thread, you will find ordering details.
Basically, they're not ready to order yet. I have posted the production time-frame a couple of times.

You can build any mic you want in this body; there is no mic project associated with it.
Take a look at ioaudio's MK7 or gyraf's G7 or you could build your own circuit.
There are tons of schematics around and lots of mic-building info at this forum.
With as few parts as are in most tube microphones, a PCB is not always needed.

a super simple circuit I am looking at right now which would be good for first time builders is the Sela T12... I am modifying a few of the values in the circuit, but it is about as simple as a microphone can be... 2 resistors and 1 capacitor... tube... transformer... capsule. That's it. VERY simple. However I am still trying to figure out an option for a power supply as I cannot find schematics online.

:)

Anyway that's just a thought for any first time builders here.

-Grant

Skylar said:
radardoug said:
Nice one Skylar. Just a point, soldering is not strong enough, you need to braze it or use a material which used to be called Silfos I think.

Cool, thanks for the tip!

Looks like Sil-Fos is still around.
http://www.silfos.com/

Muggy-Weld is another alternative.

Are u guys sure one needs to use silfos(used in refrigeration brazing)?

Silfos is very strong, but the heat is so high one could damage the appearance/structure of the headbasket/mesh? Just wondering.

desol said:
Are u guys sure one needs to use silfos(used in refrigeration brazing)?

Silfos is very strong, but the heat is so high one could damage the appearance/structure of the headbasket/mesh? Just wondering.

If the brass headbasket parts or grille mesh that you were brazing already had some type of surface treatment like polishing or bead-blast, you could possibly mar the finish on the areas that high heat was applied.

I don't know what level of heat you need for Silfos, but Muggy Weld is designed to work at ridiculously low temperatures.
So I don't think that you would risk altering the dimensions of the parts or deformation by brazing.

You'd want to finish the parts after the brazing is finished.

[Of course, the headbaskets that I am having made will be fully finished, so no one needs to worry about brazing or assembly unless you're making your own headbasket from scratch.]

Regarding progress:

Last week the manufacturer was still making the tooling required for building the mic bodies.

They said there might be a slight delay, as this is their busy season...also don't forget Chinese New Year coming up on the 14th.
Most places will be closed from the 6th–20th or thereabouts.

Rest assured, when the first sample arrives, my GDIY peeps will be the first to know.

Bump because ioaudio has started shipping some of his mk7 sets!!

Can't wait Skylar! You're a scholar and a gentleman.

Will you also be having the PSU cases made up at the same time?

TheGuitarist said:
Bump because ioaudio has started shipping some of his mk7 sets!!

Can't wait Skylar! You're a scholar and a gentleman.

Will you also be having the PSU cases made up at the same time?

Aha,    I´ve had the ioaudio stuff from the first patch, if you could say so, waiting for this realice, but in no hurry
unless I have to sell the project but then its not for reasons related to this

Thanks so far !

Matti

Hi!

Bought MK7 project from ioaudio and started to build psu's for them.
Wondering what connector will be in mic body? Want to use same one in psu side.
I'm sure I saw it somewhere in this thred but couldn't find it anymore.

Thanks,
Paavo

?whenitscomingwhenitscomingwhenitscomingwhenitscomingwhenitscomingwhenitscomingwhenitscomingwhenitscoming? God I hate waiting

The vendor is now exactly one month behind schedule.
Their excuse is that they are busy this time of year.

Also, because of Chinese new year, the factory (and everyone else in China) takes a ~month vacation.
That month happened to be February this year.
So no work was done all month.

They are back in the office now, and I am waiting for a status update.

The connector that comes with the mic body is the Binder 691 series 7-pin.

It drops right into the end-cap which is keyed for the notch you see in the connector.
You then secure the connector with a custom brass insert nut.

Skylar said:
he connector that comes with the mic body is the Binder 691 series 7-pin.

So female connector should be this one right?
http://www.binder-usa.com/psearch_detail.php?pid=5204

And for psu side this should be correct one:
http://www.binder-usa.com/psearch_detail.php?pid=5206

Not most cheapest connector in the world, but this mic is worth of it  8)

-Paavo

Back