U87 HF rolloff...

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Keith, regarding the sound of the U 87's low end: I can understand that the low-frequency response in the omni setting might be disappointing. But that's not only (or even mainly) due to the rolloff filter. The bottom end of an "omni" pattern that's synthesized by summing two cardioids never works, sounds or feels the same as the bottom end of a pressure transducer. There's a rolloff at whatever point (commonly 40 Hz or higher), there's great sensitivity to wind or breath noise and mechanical shock or handling noise, and there's even a little proximity effect. If you've been spoiled by "real" omnis (single-diaphragm pressure transducers), which don't tend to have those problems, you will be almost certainly be disappointed.

The low-frequency response of the cardioid setting in this type of microphone is part of what makes people like large-diaphragm condensers. However, I think many people have a big misconception about large diaphragms and low frequency response. It isn't so much the "largeness" of the diaphragm that gives these microphones this type of characteristic, but (if I can call it this) the "dualness." This is because typical dual-diaphragm condenser microphones in their cardioid setting (which is all that 90% of people ever use, unfortunately), actually has more of a "wide cardioid" characteristic at low frequencies--it picks up much more room sound. You can see this quite clearly if you look at the polar response of a Neumann U 47 or its modern counterpart, the M 147 Tube microphone; it is a wide cardioid on the bottom, a cardioid at mid frequencies only, and a supercardioid on top. Neumann even used to designate the U 47fet as a supercardioid at one point in the 1970s.

A single-diaphragm cardioid that is well made will not have this characteristic--it can maintain its cardioid pattern down to very low frequencies, even though its amplitude response is already rolling off. This means that its diffuse field response at low frequencies will generally parallel its on-axis (free-field) response much more closely than is the case with something like a U 47 or a U 67/87. Call that "warmth" if you want, but it has little to do with diaphragm size and much more to do with an off-axis response curve that's tilted way upward at the bottom:

1960U6740pct.png

(That's a U 67 in the cardioid setting--note the shape of its 180-degree response.)

Finally, figure-8 microphones have an inherent problem with low frequencies, because the force of the pressure gradient is proportional to the path length around the diaphragm as a fraction of the sound wavelengths. At lower frequencies this fraction diminishes proportionately, so you get a 6 dB/octave natural rolloff. At least it's easy to compensate for that electronically if you want to; Sennheiser builds compensation into their MKH 30 amplifier, but that can obviously be done only in a "unitary" microphone, not in modular microphones with interchangeable capsules. The thing is, even if you flatten out the response of a figure-8, its low end will never feel like that of what I called a "real omni" (a pressure transducer) even if the on-axis amplitude response is 100% identical. This is because we get a lot of cues about the space a recording was made in from low-frequency standing waves, but those are directional phenomena--so they are all picked up equally by pressure transducers, while figure-8 microphones (pure pressure gradient transducers) filter about 2/3 of them out, simply by virtue of their directional effect.

Does that make sense?

--best regards[/img]

A cool thing at Neumanns site is the pattern vs freg. IIRC the 87i section has a window that can pop up ands you can click on different freqs and see the pattern change.

Keith did you remove any gold? Did the rule help?

Some the china copies have the messaging 560 ohm resistor

I'm on my way onto work in an hour or so: I'm bringing in a U67 (original, not the '92 reissue) of mine to check, and a couple of MXL's: a 2001 and a V63, both of which appear to be the u87 circuit at the front end, but one (the V63) transformerless at the second stage, so that I can try to assess the 2001 transformer's effect on things, which may or may not be significant. -What the hell, I'll also take in a B1 and a B3, which look like they're also trying to clone the U87 way of doing things, but have the 797 audio capsule instead of the Alctel which I think is what the MXL uses...

I think I have another 87 to clean this afternoon, but I'm not certain what revision it is: A/Ai, or whatever... Let's see what unfolds today.

David,

Yes, regarding the U87's 'wide cardioid' low end in cardioid setting, there's another post which I made yesterday in the 'matrix panning' thread, referring to a 'parlour trick' of boosting the low frequencies in the 'difference' signal of a 'sum/difference' matrix. -Basically what it does is to increase the 'separation' of the low end when the signal is resolved back to stereo, which is why I referred to it as a "parlour trick". It works for coincident (or at the very least near-coincident) X/Y cardioid arrays where the difference signal tends to diminish at lower frequencies, due to the increasing "mono-ness" (that's a word, I'm convinced of it!!!) of the mics' pickup patterns meaning there's less difference.

Of course this parlour trick stars to come undone with spaced pairs, when the arrival-time difference wavelengths start to become significant, so it doesn't ALWAYS work of course, but I thought I'd mention it since we touched on the 'spreading' LF pattern...

By the way David, Welcome to the forum, and MANY thanks for your input; it is MOST welcome! (yes, I know that you joined a few years ago, but the recent activity seems like you just 'joined' again! :wink:)

Keith

Keith;
what about phase shift on low end on one capsule instead of boost?

[quote author="SSLtech"]-Anyone got an idea where to inject a test signal in the U67 schematic?

Keith[/quote]

I would inject symmetrically between 2 and 4 using couple of 5 pf capacitors close to pins.

Again;

why don't you try mine? It works fine though equalizing feedback is applied to the different point, while the capsule is well grounded.

WavebournMXL770Mod.gif

I can give you samples of male and female voices recorded by the mic.

Hmmm, -the MXL 2001 circuit measures rather differently to the U87 circuit:

The 87Ai is basically flat from 500Hz to 2Khz (within a tenth of a dB or so) and the upper slope is soft and shallow.

the 2001 is flat (within the same tenth-of-a-dB range) from 500Hz to almost 10kHz... whereupon a sharp transition happens, and a rolloff rate greatly in excess of 6dB/8ve.

Looks to me like the 2001 could benefit from some 're-jigging' of the rolloff slope, since it's main perceived problem is a brightness right in the 10kHz region...

Keith

Aha! -I'm onto something!

replace C2 with 500pF and also C3 with 500pF, and you get something much more reasonable...

I'm living with it now to see if I like the sound any better, but the sudden, rapid transistion at 10kHz is gone, and the "china-brightness" is definately tamed/surpressed.

I don't know why the number had to go the OTHER way from the Neumann values, but the result seems nicer. At first I took C3 to 560pF, and it was a little closer to the Neumann electronics response, but in the end I backed it off to 500pF.

Keith

[quote author="SSLtech"]

I'm living with it now to see if I like the sound any better, but the sudden, rapid transistion at 10kHz is gone, and the "china-brightness" is definately tamed/surpressed.

[/quote]

Aha! :grin:

Somebody replied, "I don't believe" when I reported about my success with MXL770 :green:

Gus, do you believe now? 2 of us already believe. ;)

Does anyone have an example of this feedback used in a tube mic that's a little more simple than the u67?
I'm having a hard time reading the u67 schematic
http://www.gyraf.dk/gy_pd/g7/u67.gif and the transformer tertiary
part of the circuit is hardly an option for many modders.

I have few of these chinese capsules and would love to try them with feedback.

-Okko

I do not see any high-end equalizing feedback except C17, but it is not a feedback. C3 is 0.01 uF, against 820K it has too high time constant for equalization. It is rather linearizing and gain setting feedback than an equalizing one.

David

I SEEM to remember you posted a link to a very good write-up of the U67 circuit at Klaus's. I searched over there but did not find it. Am I remembering correctly? maybe it was deleted?

I have had posts deleted by Klaus for being to technical or something like that.

Gus, the document that I posted (Gotham Audio bulletin 10-b, which I scanned and converted to a PDF) is still on Klaus' forum attached to my message #100309. It's true that Klaus edits many of the postings on his board, including mine, but he has never deleted any of the documents I've posted.

Unfortunately Photobucket (which I use for hosting the files I post here) can only handle viewable images, not PDFs. So the only way I can post the bulletin here would be as a set of image files--and since it's eight pages long, that will be a bit awkward. But there are so many interesting details in the bulletin, I'd like to try it anyway. If this causes a problem for anyone with slow connections, please let me know--I'll remove these attachments and think of something else.

--best regards

GothamAudiobulletin10-bpages1and2.png

GothamAudiobulletin10-bpages3and4.png

GothamAudiobulletin10-bpages5and6.png

GothamAudiobulletin10-bpages7and8.png

Thanks

Have you seen a VM1 capsule or heard a VM1?
Interesting capsule design

Keith

I can understand C3 but C2 if it is big enought should not change things much I would think.

Back