What are these inductors doing here?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pucho812

Here is the output of a microphone.

It’s basically a Jensen di transformer which is a 12:1 what is the purpose of the inductors after the transformer?

Attachments

• IMG_7880.jpeg
    IMG_7880.jpeg
    312.2 KB · Views: 0
EMI/RFI protection. Somewhat weird unless there is particularly tricky circuitry in the mic.
It prevents EMI/RFI produced IN the mic to be transmitted to the world.
This type of protection is usually fitted at the input of the mic pre, where it filters interference transmitted to the cable.

As Abbey Road says this sort of filter is often (or should be) included on micpreamp inputs where it deals with HF interference (where the notion of 'balanced input' breaks down) so LPF filtering is necessary to stop demodulation. Whether the inductors shown are really 'inductance only' or have ant resistive damping as well could be interesting as they might give a slight boost to HF before the capacitors quash that effect. demodulation occurring at the OUTPUT of an amplifuier is a 'thing' as the negative feedback loop of an amplifier is not necessarily wideband. I have had a radiio station breakthrough because the speaker cables picked up interference and the power amplifier output stage simply retified (demodulated) it!

Radio station interference caused by too slow active circuits is often called "rectification".

One effective solution is passive LPF on inputs (and outputs). I have seen RF come in through speaker wires in high RF environments. Many power amps use passive output filters.

JR

Whether the inductors shown are really 'inductance only' or have ant resistive damping as well could be interesting as they might give a slight boost
If you take into account a source impedance of 200 ohms, the response is petty much B'worth.
Now, in practice, the actual source impedance of a mic is anyone's guess.

Possibly a common mode choke
It could be. However, the way it's drawn, it appears more like two separate inductors.
A properly drawn schemo would represent a CM choke as two windings on a common core.
How faithful the drawing is is open to conjecture.
Anyway, what would be the justification for a CM choke here? As much as it makes sense at the mic pre input, at the output of a mic it is questionable. Unless, as I hinted previously, there is something in the mic that generates or is sensitive to EMI/RFI, which I doubt.

Last edited:
Wouldnt two differential mode chokes placed in very close proximity cause an interaction between the two coils and provide some cancellation of common mode noise ?
a bit like a humbucking pickup.
I found theres a possibility of unwanted interaction between any coiled components ,even screened ones , depending on physical orientation and spacing .

Wouldnt two differential mode chokes placed in very close proximity cause an interaction between the two coils and provide some cancellation of common mode noise ?
Yes, but not as efficiently as a real CM choke. You an't except more that 20dB CMRR with separate coils. Proper CMRR relies on very strong coupling coefficient.

Does the type of inductor , com or dif mode , have any effect on the equalisation curve ?

Exactly this kind of noise supression filter is used to suppress the AC line noise in front of the power transformer. One can buy it in capsules including the AC connector and a fuse. I use it, too.

Exactly this kind of noise supression filter is used to suppress the AC line noise in front of the power transformer. One can buy it in capsules including the AC connector and a fuse. I use it, too.
Noise suppressors use a CM choke (with very high coupling between sections). The filter in the mic is not clear as it's drawn.

Back