Wolfbox DI

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This is the first I've seen the reissue A-11J "in the wild."

Encouraging to hear they're performing well for you! And if they're as-advertised, $200 is steep but not ridiculous (or at least more affordable than the vintage originals).

This is the first I've seen the reissue A-11J "in the wild."

Encouraging to hear they're performing well for you! And if they're as-advertised, $200 is steep but not ridiculous (or at least more affordable than the vintage originals).
I agree.
It’s certainly a bit more than I was hoping to spend on this project but because I was trying to create an authentic Wolfbox, I splurged. There was no way I could even consider the vintage prices on eBay.

I recently made another passive DI using the Sowter 1585, which is allegedly similar to this, but I did not find that they sounded the same at all. Although it sounds really good and it was my favorite until I created this one, the 1585 did not give me the same result when it came to the complex harmonics. Now I will have to go back and compare this with some of my others.

I’m about to make a straight passive DI using a Crimson CTA 11. I’m sure I will post when it’s done.

Last edited:
I can’t speak to the reissued product, but the old A-11J really does seem to do something unique as a bass DI (also as a guitar DI

I can’t speak to the reissued product, but the old A-11J really does seem to do something unique as a bass DI (also as a guitar DI

Would love to listen some comparison files of an A-11J DI and an Active DI with guitar em bass.

Maybe someone can record some parts, that would be great

If you’re in the US, Digikey has them for about $140 which is not bad:
that is a much better price than I paid. I already know that they sound really sweet. I have no ability to compare to a vintage one but so far, it’s my favorite sounding passive DI in the building.

Attachments

• IMG_7979.jpeg
    IMG_7979.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 0
L091c: Are you sure that the A-11J and the XLR connector are wired up correctly? I could be -- VERY -- wrong here, but it seems to me that the secondary connections should be swapped, with the RED wire going to XLR--Pin-2 instead. Or, maybe it's just me!!!

/

Last edited:
L091c: Are you sure that the A-11J and the XLR connector are wired up correctly? I could be -- VERY -- wrong here, but it seems to me that the secondary connections should be swapped, with the RED wire going to XLR--Pin-2 instead. Or, maybe it's just me!!!

/
I agree to maintain "absolute polarity". Green (primary) and Red (secondary) correspond with each other.

https://catalog.triadmagnetics.com/Asset/A-11J-Datasheet.pdf

Of course, the original Wolf was designed decades ago when "XLR pin 3 was hot" in many USA audio systems.

Bri

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back